Clarkesworld: Issue 073 (October 2012) by…

Clarkesworld: Issue 073 (October 2012)

by Genevieve Valentine, Neil Clarke (Editor)

Other authors: Daniel Abraham (Columnist), Julie Dillon (Cover artist), Theodora Goss (Author), Jason Heller (Non-fiction editor), Matthew Johnson (Contributor)2 more, Jeremy L. C. Jones (Interviewer), Yoon Ha Lee (Author)

Series: Clarkesworld Magazine (73)

1121,262,927 (3.5)None
The October 2012 issue of the Hugo Award-winning science fiction & fantasy magazine, Clarkesworld. This issue features the following stories: "A Bead of Jasper, Four Small Stones" by Genevieve Valentine, "England under the White Witch" by Theodora Goss and "The Battle of Candle Arc" by Yoon Ha Lee. Non-fiction includes an interview with John Varley, an article on Campbell's Rule by Matthew Johnson, an Another Word column by Daniel Abraham and editorial by Neil Clarke.… (more)

More like 3.5 for some truly enjoyable dialogue, this is some very intense military/tactics plot in the Machineries world that I suspect woud make more sense if I read it again after reading Ninefox Gambit. Even without comprehending exactly how the high calendar works, reading Jedao be a badass military commander and Menowen standing up to him and quetioning him was absolutely enjoyable.

Putting a pin in this to read again after Ninefox Gambit, though my rating will remain unchanged - since this is set prior to Ninefox, I'd prefer it if I could comprehend all the relevant background information contained inside without needing outside source material.

Edit: OK, actually, I re-read the relevant parts where Jedao explicitly talks about the calendar and I take it back - I don't think you're supposed to fully comprehend what it is/how it works. Just read this very carefully, otherwise you'll end up as confused as the Kel. ( )
  Ely.sium | Sep 20, 2018 |
At either end of a monitoring station, a staffer keeping an eye on the progress of a ship that has just left Earth. On one end, a young man whose parents took him to space at a young age, who's homesick for the Earth he will never see again. On the other end, an Indian woman filled with longing for the chance she'll never have to escape the dying Earth. Very poignant. ( )
  AltheaAnn | Feb 9, 2016 |

Heller, JasonNon-fiction editorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Johnson, MatthewContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Jones, Jeremy L. C.Interviewersecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Lee, Yoon HaAuthorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 142,573,878 books! | Top bar: Always visible