The Edge of Never by J. A. Redmerski

The Edge of Never (edition 2012)

by J. A. Redmerski

Member:jordan.lusink
Title:The Edge of Never
Authors:J. A. Redmerski
Info:CreateSpace Independent Publishing Platform (2012), Paperback, 426 pages
Rating:*

The Edge of Never by J.A. Redmerski

This is one of the best books I've EVER read. Andrew and Camryn's story was so moving that it was impossible not feel completely attached to the characters. This story shows what it truly means to live. ( )
  MirandaR18 | Apr 4, 2015 |
Likable characters. Somewhat journey of self-discovery for Camryn, but her self-discovery may not be complete. Looking forward to sequel from Andrew's POV. Similar to Just One Day, makes one want to get on a bus to anywhere in hopes of finding soul mate. In the real world, the multitude of "accidents" never truly fall into place to live these love stories, but they're fun entertainment nonetheless!

I recommend the author & editors polish up the writing; a bit rough especially since this is not the author's debut novel!!!!!! ( )
  olongbourn | Mar 1, 2015 |
I am usually not a huge fan of romance stories unless the plot is something highly original and goes against the norm. I really thought this book would be it.

I can sum up the plot in one sentence. Girl meets boy on a bus, boy saves girl, girl goes with boy on a road trip, they fall in love and live happily ever after. Its a very basic story.

I personally was beyond disappointed at the happy ending. I really wanted this book to just be more edgy, and I think that if [Andrew died from his brain tumour after all (hide spoiler)] it would have delivered a tiny bit of edginess that it so desperately needed.

I was so disappointed by this book in some ways, but in others I did kind of enjoy it. [when I thought Andrew was going to die, (hide spoiler)] I did cry, I admit. Because of this I think the book deserves 3 stars. ( )
  KittyBimble | Feb 12, 2015 |
I always thought depression was so overrated, the way people toss the word around (a lot like the L-word that I will never say to a guy again for as long as I live). I never like to see someone hurting, but I admit whenever I heard someone play the depression card, I'd roll my eyes and go about my business.
Little did I know that depression is a serious disease.

Sometimes you read a book that is so bad, it actually becomes entertaining. After a pretty awful day, I decided to read The Edge of Never thanks to all the god awful reviews.

Needless to say, the only reason I got this book is because it was free. Thank you, shop that was closing down and was giving copies away.

Camryn is a fucking idiot. There's no nicer way to say it. She thinks every girl who isn't her is a slut, every man who she doesn't fancy is a rapist and believed depression was something people made up for attention. By page five, I'd rolled my eyes hard enough to irritate a nerve, thanks to little gems like this:

Instead of sitting around dreaming up new sex positions, as Natalie often does about Damon, her boyfriend of five years, I dream about things that really matter. What the air in other countries feels like on my skin, how the ocean smells, why the sound of rain makes me gasp. 'You're so deep, Camryn' Damon always says.

I must be pretty deep, too. I wonder about things like why dogs smell like dogs and if they smell different in other countries.

When Camryn's best friend's boyfriend, Damon, forces himself upon her, and when Camryn does the right thing and tells Natalie, her best friend, she is accused of being a "lying bitch" and told never to contact her again...

So she decides to do the most mature thing ever and run away, destination unknown, on a bus without telling anyone. Because, apparently, running away from problems that aren't so problematic if she actually talked to people is the answer to everything.

The Edge of Never is a good example of interesting plot but executed awfully with terrible characters and terrible writing.

He looks gently offended

I'm quietly stunned

He points gently

He is softly amused

My mouth parted with an offended spat of air

We both laugh gently

My face sours delicately

It's very much like the author just randomly picked out words from a hat, jumbled them together, and hoped they made sense.

Well, they don't. Stop it.

Not only is the writing pretty bad, but the love interest? He's the creepiest fuck I've ever had the displeasure to read about. The kind of guy who has been talking to Camryn all of FIVE MINUTES, and thinks she is his "property" and "territory".

I resist the urge to watch her, noticing how soft and innocent she looks, which makes me that much more primal, more protective.
The pervert seems to have stopped watching her when he saw us sitting together inside the last terminal. In the eyes of men, he probably sees her as my territory now, my property.

The kind of guy who thinks this is hot:

"If you were to let me fuck you, you would have to let me own you."

The kind of guy who takes stalking to whole new level:

"When you were in the bathroom the next morning and I gave you two minutes to get ready..."
"Yeah, I remember. What did you do?"
He smiles nervously. "I sort of took a picture of your driver's license with my phone."[...]"I just wanted to make sure I knew how to find you again," he confesses.

And of course, instead of running for the hills, Camryn thinks that is the SWEETEST, MOST ADORABLE THING EVAAAA!1!!!!1!ONE!

Camryn is the sort of cute you want to high five in the face with a shovel. Andrew is the sort of hot you want to roast on a BBQ, not sleep with.

Speaking of sex, the scenes were incredibly cringey and awful.

"Lick my pussy! Goddamnit, Andrew, lick my fucking pussy!"

And, of course, there is a TERRIBLE tragedy, because it wouldn't be cheap, "heartbreaking" New Adult without a tragedy, amirite? I mean, what happened to HEAs? And OF COURSE the TERRIBLE TRAGEDY is easily resolved in like two pages and everything is fine and dandy, which really begs the question: what was the point in including it in the first place?

It was really sickening, actually, how Andrew didn't tell Camryn he had a tumour and might die. That was the most selfish thing I've ever heard. She only found out when he had a goddamn seizure. What the fuck? That's romantic, not telling someone you're dying, that you have cancer?

Well done on being a Class A Dickwad, Andrew. Really.

ZERO STARS.

Aly_Locatelli | Jan 26, 2015 |
Beautiful! Loved it so much.!! ( )
  Leila.Khouane | Dec 30, 2014 |

J.A. Redmerskiprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Fortgang, LaurenNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Setting out on her own for a new life, twenty-year-old Camryn Bennett boards a Greyhound bus alone. Though determined never to fall in love, she meets Andrew Parrish, a man much like herself, and a man with a dark secret. Will Andrew's secret push them together, or tear them apart?… (more)

J.A. Redmerski is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

21 wanted2 pay7 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,719,901 books! | Top bar: Always visible