Jane's Gift by Karen Erickson

Jane's Gift (edition 2012)

by Karen Erickson

Member:ReadYourWrites
Title:Jane's Gift
Authors:Karen Erickson
Info:Entangled Publishing (Bliss) (2012), Kindle Edition, 171 pages

Jane's Gift by Karen Erickson

This review was originally posted on my blog.

This touching story about grief, hope, renewal and finding love (again) was my first read by author Karen Erickson, and it won’t be my last. I liked Jane’s strong resolve to rebuild her life post tragedy that took her home, her husband and left her badly scarred. I also liked her over protective brothers and their families who rallied around her and took her in. Jane’s recovery was painful, but she’s determined to get better for herself and her children. If only she could get over her fear of fire.

Captain Christian Nelson is made out to be a womanizer, a playboy. I didn’t get that feeling about him. He’s single, he works long hours, has a dangerous job no woman really wants to deal with, he doesn’t want commitment, he’s dated quite a few women and has a type, but it wasn’t like he was sleeping around like a cad. Obviously there’s more to him than just his hero status and crazy good looks. I loved that he was multi-faceted and had more to offer if people only gave him a chance. His parent’s miserable and failed marriage has left a bitter taste for relationships. Against his better judgement to get involved with a woman with “baggage”, he can’t help but be drawn to Jane. Despite her scarring, she’s still beautiful to him. She’s courageous, a great mother, and has a huge family that sticks together and has fun. All things he misses in his own life. hen there’s Jane’s tumultuous family, and intimidating brothers. I love that they were very protective of her, but didn’t interfere.

Their chemistry was great. In the beginning, the shyness on both their parts was really cute. As it eventually morphed into a little more, their trepidations reared their heads which threw them a few curve balls. Jane’s marriage was solid, but not without it’s problems. I didn’t doubt her devotion to her deceased husband, but even she admitted it wasn’t always sunshine and roses. Stephan seemed to care a lot about outward appearances to colleagues and friends, and he was a workaholic which often left her lonely and feeling like he wasn’t spending enough time with the family. When she feels a stirring of attraction for Christian, her survivor’s guilt sets in. On the flip side, Christian can’t imagine wanting to be a part of a ready made family, but he soon finds comfort in being around them. It doesn’t help that more than one person keeps hinting at Christian’s playboy status. She’s scared, but wants to give him a chance.

The love scenes were sweet, mostly because they fade to black. That didn’t bother me at all. The implications alone hinted at very good times. The ending was a little predictable in that Jane would have to face her worst fear if she wanted to be happy. I understood why she did it, but I was hoping the courage to “live” again would have helped her overcome the dramatic road bump. But I guess even the best sprinters knock down a hurdle. To Christian’s credit, he doesn’t back down. She’s worth it, and he knows it.

I both sobbed a little and cheered for them all the way through. This was just one of those feel good romances that I would want to read again and again. The writing was smooth, the characters were real and relatable, and overall I’d definitely recommend this book to fans of hot firefighters and great heroines.

Disclaimer: I purchased my copy on Amazon. The views and opinions expressed in this review are my own, and in no way represent the views or opinions of the publisher/distributor. ( )
  MsRomanticReads | Apr 12, 2013 |
4 STARS

Jane's Gift is a tender story that takes place mostly in her small hometown over the holidays.
Jane wakes up in the hospital to find she has been in a coma for 3 months. Her children are okay but her husband died.
Two years later Jane has brought her 3 children home to live in her brothers second home. Jane has a big family and support system thier. Jane and her 3 children are a afraid of fire, with a good cause for it. Her younger brother Max arranged for them to have a tour of the firestation from his friend Christian Nelson.
Chris is a fire captain. He does not plan to ever marry and have kids. He comes from a broken home and a only child.
Chris is very understanding of why Jane's children are scared. He is really good showing the two oldest the fire engine. He is attracted to Jane even with her burn scars on part of her face. The second time he runs into Jane's family he asked her out.
Chris is afraid of relationships while Jane is afraid of fires but they can not stay from each other. Chris finds himself trying to get all 3 of Jane's children to smile at him.
I have a feeling that we will see more stories about Jane's family in the future.
This is a nice story but feel the characters got over thier fears pretty fast, but it is fiction anyway.
A lot of different people warn her that Chris is a player and not to get hurt from him.
Jane keeps telling him that she is not ready for a relationship then her actions show she is.
This is a quick read. Thier are love scenes in the book I did skip over. I will read more from Karen Erickson in the future.
I was given this ebook to read in exchange of honest review from Netgalley.
Publisher: Entangled Publishing (Bliss) (October 24, 2012) 171 pages ASIN: B009WVX0B4 ( )
  rhonda1111 | Dec 18, 2012 |
The above blurb is a perfect hook for this heartwarming and very touching story of one woman’s acceptance of the tragedy that befell her family and hope for their future.

Jane Clark is surrounded by her children, her siblings and her parents, yet deep down she feels that the hole in her heart where her husband used to dwell, is empty. And when she decides to face her fears of fires and meets a man who just might help her do that and possibly offer her a second chance in love, she isn’t sure of herself, nor of the man himself.

Christian Nelson was surprised how quickly he became attracted to the young widow and how much he started to care for her children. As a new friend to her brother Mac, he knows that his reputation of ‘player’ might hurt his chances with Jane, but what worries him even more is his fear of commitment.

MY GOD! The chemistry between these two was AWESOME! Every scene between the two was electric. The author blew me away with the tension build up! As I was reading the story, through Chris’ eyes, I just went through everything he felt. My heart beat faster and the tension had me shaking at some moments. The sexual chemistry was jumping off the page, that’s how good this story is!

Yes, there’s a lot of pull and push, second guessing, family drama and cute kids to boot, but make no mistake, this is romance at its best. I am so glad I read it! Another must for your Christmas List!

I am new to Karen Erickson’s work, but I mean to correct that very soon!

book provided by NetGalley ( )
  bookworm2bookworm | Dec 11, 2012 |
Her life is forever changed when Jane loses her husband in a house fire two years ago. Although badly burned, she survived along with her 3 kids. With her recovery finally behind her, she takes her 3 kids and moves closer to her family. A place she can start over.

At her brother's offer, she takes a tour of the local fire house given by Chris Nelson. Chris is the fire captain who happens to also be good looking and single. A trip to try to help the kids get over their fear of fire, ends up sparking an attraction between Jane & Chris. And an offer from Chris to spend more time together came shortly after.

Christian pursues Jane, who at first is afraid it's too soon. But the attraction is so strong and the chemistry so right, she gives in to temptation and a relationship soon forms. Although he is self admittedly not a "committment" guy, Chris soon realizes that may be wrong. And as Jane's feelings grow, is she ready to committ to a man whose career is dealing what the one thing that took her first love away?

This is a cute love story about trust and healing (with the setting around the Thanksgiving/Christmas time of year.) I'm glad I read it. (And with Jane's large family included in this story, hoping the authors shares their stories in the future.) ( )
  Books007 | Nov 20, 2012 |
Have you ever read a book and immediately KNEW you were going to like it ? That was my experience with Jane's Gift. I was hooked with the second sentence. Jane's Gift is a wonderful book that will have you rooting for Jane and Chris as they deal with the obstacles they face on their journey to a truly happy and fulfilling life.

How soon is too soon to move on with your life after you lose your spouse? Should you feel guilty because you survived and they didn't? Are you entitled to live a happy life and not worry about how other people think you should act? These questions and more are posed by Jane, two years after a house fire killed her husband, Stephen, and changed her life forever. Jane thought she had the perfect life, until one day it was gone. Now she's struggling to fit into her new life as a burn-victim and single mother of three kids all under the age of eight. Jane isn't sure if she has grieved enough for Stephen and if she should even feel attraction to anyone else. In addition, her children don't want her to move on with her life.

Christian Nelson is known as a playboy for a reason. He prefers to keep things with women simple. He's afraid of rejection and doesn't want to get hurt so he tends to leave women before they start to want more than he's willing to give and decide to leave him. He's an only child from a divorced family and doesn't believe in love and marriage.

From the moment Jane and Chris met, they were attracted to each other. I love the fact that Chris realized his attraction to Jane and tried to be cautious and not freak her out. I thought Chris was a total complete DREAM. I mean you have this guy who has absolutely NO experience with kids, but he wants to be around Jane and her kids all the time. When he doesn’t see them, he misses them all. He even makes himself sick, just so he can spend time with them and not let them all down. I love Jane because she’s a survivor. She’s doing the best she can with her situation and she’s doing an amazing job.

When tragedy strikes, Jane and Christian’s love is put to the test. All of Jane’s fears come rushing toward her like a slap in the face. This is one of the moments where you realize what Chris is really all about if you haven’t figured him out beforehand. Jane wants this Christmas to be great for her and her kids. Unbeknownst to her, Christian makes that and more possible.

I love ALL the characters in this book. Jane is from a large family. She’s the fourth of five kids and only one of two girls. You can only imagine how Jane’s brothers react to Chris, the family scenes are great. You know how before I said I knew I was going to love the book immediately? I could not wait to look up information about the author and her other books, while in the middle of reading this book. Jane’s Gift is the first book in a series of books!!!! (Happy dance going on for me!) I can’t wait to read the other books in this series. ( )
  ReadYourWrites | Nov 15, 2012 |

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,485,504 books! | Top bar: Always visible