Scent to Kill: A Natural Remedies Mystery…

Scent to Kill: A Natural Remedies Mystery (Natural Remedies Mysteries) (edition 2013)

by Chrystle Fiedler

94950,433 (3)1
Member:bookofsecrets
Title:Scent to Kill: A Natural Remedies Mystery (Natural Remedies Mysteries)
Authors:Chrystle Fiedler
Info:Gallery Books (2013), Edition: Original, Paperback, 320 pages
Tags:cozy mystery, mystery

Scent to Kill: A Natural Remedies Mystery (Natural Remedies Mysteries) by Chrystle Fiedler

SCENT TO KILL is an exciting cozy mystery and enlightening aromatherapy guide in one. I could almost smell the lovely fields of lavender at the Bixby Estate.

The mystery in this book was intriguing and not easy to figure out. There are actually two mysteries here - the murder of Roger Bixby, present owner of the estate, and the murder of the estate's caretaker back in the 1930s. The crimes were just too similar to be a coincidence, so amateur sleuth Willow McQuade had to research the Bixby Family, all the way back to Prohibition. Very interesting tidbits on illegal rum running were revealed.

Willow was a likable character. As a naturopathic doctor, she was knowledgeable and compassionate, always willing to help those in need. You'd have to be a nice person to get involved in a dangerous murder investigation to keep your ex-boyfriend out of jail!

I think this book would appeal to romance fans too, because Willow's relationship with her current beau Jackson is prominent in the story, and he does help out in bringing the culprit to justice. Plus, he's a really great guy. :-)

A fun and unique component of this book was the information provided on aromatherapy. Each chapter begins with a brief post from Willow's "Healthy Living Tips" blog. Common ailments are discussed, and essential oils are suggested that may help ease symptoms. I was very big into aromatherapy at one time, and reading this book made me want to jump back in!

SCENT TO KILL was an enjoyable cozy mystery - looking forward to future books in the Natural Remedies series. 4-stars!

Review copy courtesy of the publisher. ( )
  bookofsecrets | Feb 28, 2013 |
One thing I love about cozy mysteries is that I don't need to share the hobbies and interests of the main character in order to enjoy the book. In fact, the ones I enjoy the most are often the ones in which the main character is very different from me, so I can learn something new. There are knitting mysteries, quilting mysteries, mysteries that revolve around tea, cookies or even poodles. And I love them all! Well, not all, but many. So I didn't think it would be a problem that Scent to Kill is part of the "Natural Remedies" series or that the main character runs a natural health store. But there was something about this one that made me feel almost deliberately excluded from the world of the character.

Maybe it was the fact that the main character's pet is named "Qigong" (pronounced "chee gung"). Or that she keeps referring to herself as "doctor" even though she's a naturopath. Or the fact that her name is Willow MacQuade and her boyfriend is Jackson Spade. (I mean, come on!) Or maybe it was the moment when she explains there's been a murder and her friend exclaims, "Murder? OMG! Just like three months ago!" Now, are we supposed to believe that her friend actually said "Oh Em Gee" or are we meant to assume she said "Oh my God" and the author was too lazy to write it out?

All in all, it was the little things which turned me off about this book.
If none of those things sound that bad to you then, by all means, don't let me stop you from enjoying this book. For me though, it'll be a miss on the rest of the series.

Disclaimer: I received a digital galley of this book free from Edelweiss (Above the Tree Line). I was asked to write an honest review, though not necessarily a favourable one. The opinions expressed are strictly my own. ( )
  CozyBookJournal | Feb 20, 2013 |
3 of 5 stars
Scent to Kill is a cozy style mystery with a homeopathic theme. This book is written by Chrystle Fiedler and is published by Simon and Schuster/ Gallery Books. This book is scheduled for release in February 2013. This the second in the Natural Remedies Mystery series. This is the first one I have read. Evidently, the story picks up three months after Dr. Willow McQuade solved the mystery of her beloved Aunt Claire's murder.
The big news is the filming of a TV show in town. Willow's former boyfriend, Simon is now dating Carly . Carly and her soon to be ex-husband are with the production company filming the show for the Sci-Fi channel. Willow and her boyfriend, Jackson have been invited to the pre-show party. Tensions are high as Carly's ex- husband, Roger, continually picks on Simon causing a fight. Later when Roger is found murdered, Simon is suspect number one. Willow agrees to use her new found skills as an amateur sleuth to prove Simon's innocence.There is no shortage of suspects. Old family secrets come to light as Willow and Jackson try to find out who wanted Roger dead and why.I really enjoyed the home remedies featured at the beginning of each chapter. There were suggestions for headaches, skin issues, and emotional problems, just to name a few. Occasionally, however the mention of homeopathic remedies and organic foods got to be a little distracting. It was came close to overkill a few times. I liked Willow and Jackson and they make a good team. I can see them working together for a long time to come. Pets always enhance a good mystery to me and so I loved the secondary story line about the dogs. The mystery was good whodunit, although I was pretty sure I knew who was behind it, I didn't know the motive. This series has a lot of potential. A few things could have been tweaked here and there for a tighter story, but overall I thought it was pretty good cozy mystery. This one gets a B-/C+ Thanks to Edelweiss for the opportunity to view this ARC! ( )
  gpangel | Feb 14, 2013 |

"In Scent to Kill, the second novel in the Natural Remedies cozy series, Dr. Willow McQuade must solve the murder of a producer of a new psychic television show. Dr. Willow McQuade, ND, and her boyfriend, Jackson Spade, have been invited to attend an exclusive party at the Southold estate on Long Island's North Fork that is owned by television producer, Roger Bixby. Willow is looking forward to seeing the estate's lavender farm, seeking inspiration for her new aromatherapy workshops. Bixby is producing the show, MJ's Mind, with his ex-wife Carly, now the girlfriend of Willow's ex, Simon Lewis. After the party ends, Willow gets a frantic text from Simon. Roger Bixby has drowned, and the police suspect foul play. Simon fought with Roger earlier in the evening and is now the prime suspect. He begs Willow for help in solving the crime. To find the killer, Willow will have to deal with ghosts in a haunted mansion, strange accidents, death threats, and a truly dysfunctional family, while trying to untangle a homicide identical to one committed during prohibition. Can she crack this case without losing her own life? Fast paced and entertaining, Scent to Kill is a satisfying and engaging sequel to Death Drops"--… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,544,140 books! | Top bar: Always visible