Dead Reflections by Carol Weekes

Dead Reflections (edition 2013)

by Carol Weekes

Member:5hrdrive
Title:Dead Reflections
Authors:Carol Weekes
Info:San Mateo, CA : JournalStone, 2013.
Collections:2013, Read but unowned
Rating:**1/2
Tags:early reviewers, fiction, thriller, short story, collection, tpb, 2.5, reviewed

Dead Reflections by Carol Weekes

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I received this book free from LibraryThing for an honest review.

I really liked dead reflections. It is a collection of tales, each as good as the others. My favorite is the main story "Dead Reflections". ( )
  pamkaye | May 25, 2015 |
Book Info: Genre: Horror anthology
Reading Level: Adult
Recommended for: Fans of horror
Trigger Warnings: death of children, spouses

My Thoughts: This is the real thing, people. This is horror the way horror is supposed to be done. By reading this anthology, you will develop new and interesting phobias, as well as have old ones enforced. Fear of mirrors, carnivals (and carnies), stormy nights, old wells. There are also a couple very interesting poems about autopsies and dead bodies. This is the perfect book to put you in the mood for Halloween this year. I'm actually quite amused that this book was released in February. As the author says in the afterword, she has a very bent sense of humor. And so do I.

If you like horror—and I mean real horror—and are looking for something appropriate for the season, this book will give you the thrills, chills and creeps for which you are searching. Really enjoyed it.

Disclosure: I received a copy of this e-book from JournalStone via the LibraryThing Early Reviewer's Program in exchange for an honest review. All opinions are my own.

Synopsis: One novel, five short stories, two poems, this collection holds a looking glass that unhinges reality in the wee hours; roads that hold with needful, unloving arms; the miasma of damp, autumnal leaves that cling to your heels and follow you home, promising the whisper of darker things still yet to come as your eyes begin to close.

Yes, this is horror, the creeping kind, the kind that lingers and sticks like tombstone mosses, promising cold, dark, ethereal depths. You will face your darkest reflections in the stories bound between these pages. May you delight in the shivers. Don't forget to look over your shoulder; while you do, you won't be watching the shadows to your periphery, or what waits just ahead in the nebulous dim, its teeth sharp, its intention deadly. ( )
  Katyas | Oct 17, 2013 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I rather liked this little collection, especially the short novel. I thought it an interesting twist on the haunted house theme - the "ghosts" lived in a house accessed through a mirror in a little-used bathroom. Rather neat, and very creepy.

I guess you can tell that, for me, the novel was the stand-out in this collection. I'm not big into poetry, so I'll let others give a fairer review on those, but the short stories were also fun. ( )
  randirousseau | Sep 12, 2013 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I really enjoyed this collection of horror stories. Technically, this book contains one short novel, five short stories, and two poems. All of these were very well-written and drew me in immediately.

The collection starts off with the novel, Dead Reflections, which is a creepy story of an old house with a very mysterious mirror. The whole atmosphere is so foreboding and chilling that I couldn't help but want to know what happened next. I found myself rushing through the novel to find out the ending. My only qualm was that the main character was a child, and I'm usually not a fan of books centered around kids.

The short stories were all very different from each other, but they were all extremely interesting and some of them were very haunting. One thing I quickly realized is that Carol Weekes doesn't believe in happy endings. They all set up an atmosphere of fear and mystery, and I really enjoyed reading all of them.

Another successful book by Journalstone. Carol Weekes is a great new addition to the horror genre. ( )
  jadestar31 | Aug 26, 2013 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I received "Dead Reflections" by Carol Weekes through Library Thing early reviewers as a EBook.

After a few issues having it load onto my ereader (read, phone) The collection of stories ended up being a great distraction to an afternoon of sitting in the ink chair.

Several short stories all in one. Mix of Horror Story & Poems. I enjoyed it enough to want to read it a second time at a later date, and prop it up on my bookshelf. ( )
  AngelFrankie | Aug 1, 2013 |
Old Superstitious Belief It is thought when a death occurs within a house, that all mirrors must be covered, lest they capture the souls of the living. To look into such a mirror is to become as one with the dead.
His boys were with his parents.

1 avail.1 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,049,739 books! | Top bar: Always visible