The Listless by Steven Mohr

The Listless (edition 2013)

by Steven Mohr

Member:StevenMohr
Title:The Listless
Authors:Steven Mohr
Info:Status Quo Lit
Rating:*****

The Listless by Steven Mohr

I received this book from Library Thing to read and review. Just like the title, I was listless as I read this book. I did not really hold my interest very well, and I found myself, more often than not, hoping I was near the end. The story involves a now defunct band, who get one last chance to rave the country, playing music as they earlier did. The book is written well enough, just not very exciting. In addition, I wondered about some of the band members actions, which were pretty juvenile, to say the least. I guess the message was that it doesn’t always pay to go back and try to relive the past because, sooner or later, reality smacks you in the face, and you see things are really not very different. I am not sure which audience the author wrote this for. At times, I thought it might me a young adult audience, while at other times I thought it might be the older adult who has “been there, done that”. I do wish the book had held my interest more, however. Nevertheless, I am not giving up on the author and will try other books. ( )
  KMT01 | Nov 24, 2013 |
I was given this book in exchange for an honest review.

I liked the storyline but it didn't hold my interest. I found myself skipping forward a little during some parts. That being said for a debut novel I think it shows the authors potential. I would definitely give the author another try. ( )
  sportzmomof5 | Nov 14, 2013 |
* NOTE: I received a copy of this book in exchange for a review. *

The Listless sounds like a book that I would really love. It is about a touring indie band and what goes on with the members over the course of these experiences. The idea behind this story was awesome, but something about it was just too contrived for me personally. ( )
  anna_801 | Oct 7, 2013 |
I received this book from a LibraryThing Members Giveaway in exchange for a review.

I chose to read this book because it dealt with a topic with which I was not very familiar - current-day musicians on tour. The story follows the Listless band on a summer tour of many eastern US cities. While there are moments of immaturity among the band members, they are surprisingly well-behaved when it comes to alcohol, drugs, fans, etc. Perhaps, they are too good to ring true.

The book was well-written, but I had difficulty trying to find a theme for most of it. I wish some of the humanity in the conclusion had appeared throughout the story. I have to say that the ending was a surprise! ( )
  LoisB | Oct 5, 2013 |
story of a band on the road for 1 last tour.
the storyline for the most part was pretty good ,I found the actions of a couple of the band members to be juvenile and I kept expecting them to be arrested. ( )
  carramel0705 | Jan 5, 2013 |

Languid in speed, introspective in tone, The Listless is a dialog driven book filled with some characters who see the world as it is and others as they want it to be.

Living in the crudeness of Detroit and working in the refinement of the metro area suburbs, first year teacher Conor Batey is having difficulty adapting to a world plagued by greed and vanity. In his college days, the response was to rebel against society through music and art, but with age creeping in and a recession on the lookout for those in the undeserving working class, he chooses the suit and tie life.

Quickly, however, anticipation rises and fears are avoided as Conor, together with his past musician friends, are offered a record deal for their fairly successful but recently defunct band Listless. The group doesn’t immediately see the value in this brief stint of regression and avoidance of their everyday existences. However, with adult/professional life during the recession looking so bleak and their past dreams so close to realization, they choose to take this one last chance to tour their favorite music venues and play with some of the their favorite bands.

Along the way, the band meets the beautiful young journalist Ellie Cruz who opts to travel with the indiepop rock group and document their sometimes funny and other times awkward jaunt around the East Coast. The story ends in a realization that takes the characters (and reader) right back to the start in this vicarious ride through the cyclical reality life is.

Steven Mohr is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,307,790 books! | Top bar: Always visible