Wedding Cake Killer: A Fresh-Baked Mystery…

Wedding Cake Killer: A Fresh-Baked Mystery (original 2012; edition 2012)

by Livia J. Washburn

Member:DreamingInFiction
Title:Wedding Cake Killer: A Fresh-Baked Mystery
Authors:Livia J. Washburn
Info:NAL Trade (2012), Paperback, 320 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:*read, 2012, genre: cozy mystery

Wedding Cake Killer: A Fresh-Baked Mystery by Livia J. Washburn (2012)

It is almost Christmas in Weatherford, Texas, and retired schoolteacher Phyllis Newsom is busier than ever. After a whirlwind courtship, her long-time boarder and friend Eve Turner will marry her boyfriend Roy Porter on New Year's Eve. In addition to hosting the wedding, Phyllis is hosting Eve's bridal shower on Christmas Eve. Though she has misgivings about the speed of Eve's romance, Phyllis can see that Eve is happy with Roy.

After their honeymoon, the newlyweds settle down at a bed-and-breakfast nearby while they continue to search for a house. All seems to be going well until Phyllis's son, sheriff's deputy Mike Newsom, shows up at Phyllis's house, searching for Eve. It seems Roy has been murdered, stabbed through the throat with Eve's distinctive letter opener. The only fingerprints found at the scene belong to Eve, and she is promptly arrested for the crime.

Phyllis knows Eve, and she knows Eve would not murder Roy. It's up to Phyllis to clear Eve's name, despite the warnings of the district attorney to stay out of the case. At Roy's funeral, a private investigator shows up, hot on Roy's trail. It seems Roy was something of a con artist, and there are many people who may wish to see him dead.

I have read the previous books in this series, and this book was a slow read and a bit of a yawner for me. I figured out the culprit early on. There wasn't much action, and the reader never gets introduced to any other suspects in person except the bed-and-breakfast owners and the actual murderer. I liked most of the other books in this series, but this one was just so-so. ( )
  cln1812 | Mar 22, 2017 |
Synopsis: Eve marries the man of her dreams, but less than a month later he's murdered. Phyllis and Sam have to figure out 'who done it'.
Review: This is a nice cozy mystery and it's nicely descriptive of the Weatherford area in Texas. The plot is not so difficult that you can't figure it out by about 3/4 of the way through the book. ( )
  DrLed | Sep 12, 2015 |
Another great whodunit solved by Mrs. Newsom! ( )
  cougargirl1967 | Nov 18, 2014 |
The rating for this fine book is more like 4.5 than 4. The best thing about this book, apart from a spellbinding finale, was the lack of too many suspects. In the last book I half thought Roy Porter, the future groom of Eve, was going to be the victim. Here, instead of cementing his place as a regular of the Newsome household, he keels over. Now I've read the blurb before reading, so I was pretty pumped for the story to reveal itself to me. My expectations were exceeded easily, as the case took on an unusual turn. With books like this, I'm amazed why cozies aren't ever on the New York Times bestselling lists. Shame on you men writers, being getting whupped by your female counterparts.

I liked how Sam Fletcher and Phyllis Newsome came to the solution of the murder together...Sam partly, Phyllis wholly. They make a really cute couple. They are quite believable. You get the feeling they are breathing inside these pages, waiting for someone to read them so that they can live. Maybe this book deserved 5 stars. And maybe there are 5 star books that would deserve, on a re read, less. I don't know why I'm holding back. Perhaps it's because I'm trying not to focus on the ending solely. This series is very consistent in its quality. I've struggled to established what I call a franchise. That is, a series of books that can satiate my reading appetite. I've made forays into thrillers written for men. But such a franchise has failed to establish. The women writers who have female heroes have the men beat. That's an affirming conclusion that grows in strength daily. More power to cozy writers. ( )
  Jiraiya | May 10, 2014 |
This book is dedicated to my husband, James Reasoner, and my two daughters, Shayna and Joanna, who have to sample even when the recipe turns out to be a real loser.
It was the silliest thing.

Wedding bells will be ringing in Weatherford, Texas, this Christmas when Phyllis Newsom opens up her home for her best friend’s wedding. And although the bride is wearing white, no one suspects that she’ll soon be wearing black…

After all the planning—and the cake tasting—the big day has arrived. Eve Turner, one of Phyllis’s boarders—and her best friend—is moving out and getting married to the affable Roy Porter. While she’s sad to see Eve go, Phyllis is more than happy to host the event in her house and to bake the bride and groom a delicious three-tiered coconut wedding cake. Even though a snowstorm in the forecast seems like a recipe for disaster, the day runs as smoothly as butter cream.

But the marriage doesn’t last long past the honeymoon. When Roy’s found dead at a Weatherford bed-and-breakfast, Eve’s the top suspect. Now Phyllis must find out who iced Roy before her friend finds herself behind bars…

Includes recipes!

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:10:27 -0400)

When Eve Turner's new husband turns up dead shortly after the honeymoon, Phyllis Newsome, Eve's friend who hosted the wedding and baked the sumptuous three-tiered cake, must investigate to clear the bride.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,406,252 books! | Top bar: Always visible