Everwinter (The Wrath of the Northmen) by…

Everwinter (The Wrath of the Northmen) (edition 2012)

by Elizabeth Baxter

Member:elwen
Title:Everwinter (The Wrath of the Northmen)
Authors:Elizabeth Baxter
Info:
Collections:Your library, eBook, Fantasy
Rating:***1/2
Tags:Fantasy, eBook, MemberGiveaway

Everwinter (The Wrath of the Northmen series #1 An epic fantasy novel) by Elizabeth Baxter

Wow! I really enjoyed Everwinter. Once a few chapters in, I found it hard to put down. Ms Baxter weaves places and characters with expert clarity. Mystery upon mystery, intrigue upon intrigue, baddies, magic, creatures......Everwinter is jam packed with layers of detail and description. I look forward to the next installment. ( )
  TinaC1 | Jul 6, 2013 |
ER review.
Fantasy epic. The lead character Bram in an engineer, dealing with large scale city projects such as tunnels/ sewers. There is a lot of politics, old gods, an everlasting winter freeze starts. This is only the start of the series so it doesn't wrap up everything. Good read. ( )
  C4RO | Jun 28, 2013 |
What an absolutely wonderful beginning of an epic adventure. Bramwell Tully seems to be anything but a hero, but he certainly makes up for it in by the end. This book is full of wonderfully developed characters that come to life before your eyes as they travel on a quest to end the winter that has embraced all the lands. Political intrigue, fighting, and magic abound.
  MyChristineHobbs | Jun 28, 2013 |
(Disclaimer: Received this ebook free through the LibraryThing ER/Member Giveaway program)

Everwinter was a great read. You want a hidden cult? You got it. Need a dose of banished gods and dark magic? You'll be sated. And of course, a great book with a wonderfully developed world plus an awesome flow of action mixed with the right balance of well written dialogue is thrown in extra!

The only thing that kept me from the 5 stars rating was I felt this could have been fairly epic with just a tiny bit more length to it. My epub edition was about 268 pages. 50-100 more, maybe, and I might have felt like I found another Game of Thrones or a Lord of the Rings book for my personal Christmas.

There's some tension between two of the main characters I wouldn't be surprised to see develop into something in the next books in the series. The rivalries between the different major cities of the world are deep rooted and some history is presented as the book progressed, not to mention some dark secrets of those same cities and their people are revealed through the investigation of the main character, Bram.

Even the cliffhanger at the end left me wanting more.

The author put in just what I think made a perfect mix: character interaction, phenomenal sub-plots, suprises throughout the work, to the point where I felt bereft that I didn't have all the books in the series in hand to continue the adventure. (I'll have to remedy the lack of the other books in my library ASAP)

I enjoyed each page and look forward to visiting these characters and the world the author has created in the future.

Summary: You'll burn through the pages of Everwinter! (pun intended)

I'd recommend this book for readers who enjoy fantasy, both high and swords & sorcery style. With it's dose of engineering and political machinations, some steampunk enthusiasts may find it satisfying, but that could be a stretch.

My pet peeves, as usual: Refreshingly, I found extremely few typos/missed word kind of issues. Bless the author, again. ( )
  wolfjack | Jun 14, 2013 |
Everwinter by Elizabeth Baxter is quite entertaining. It's set in a fantasy world where the old gods have been unleashed, and now every thing is frozen. There are two opposing factions one that wants to stop the old gods, and stop the cold, and another that wants to unleash more of the old gods. It held my interest and kept me entertained. I will be looking for more books in this series. ( )
  Antares1 | Jun 7, 2013 |

Elizabeth Baxter is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,575,214 books! | Top bar: Always visible