Ricochet by Xanthe Walter

Authors:Xanthe Walter
Info:Publisher Unknown (2012), ebook
Tags:currently-reading

Ricochet by Xanthe Walter

I really liked the premise of this story, but something about this book didn't work for me. It seemed a little cheesy that everyone was happy all of the time, and they were all such great friends. Yes, I understand that they weren't actually happy, but it was still annoying to read about people who pretend to be happy all of the time, and everything's a joke, and the dialogue is cheesy too. The book was really long too. I'd say it took forever to get going, but I don't know that it ever did. We had that spanking going on between Rick and Matty in the middle of the book, and then that one great scene, then Sebastian Rule showed up randomly, which was perfect timing for the "perfect" dom, and even once Rick and Matty got together, the book just kept going. ( )
  DreZ | Jan 15, 2015 |
  DreZ | Jan 15, 2015 |
Yes, I’m aware this novel is an adaptation from a fanfiction serial the author posted on her website. No, I don’t particularly care, since, even if I searched for the original characters, they are from a fiction (Stargate) I didn’t follow and so I have no comparison at all with them. Yes, I bought this book and no, I don’t care it was for free before I spent my money to buy it, as I said, I don’t have time to read online (and patience too), so I don’t mind to pay for it once the author decides to re-work it and adapt it as a standalone novel.

Paraphrasing one of the supporting characters, describing an hypothetical alternative reality to their own (our reality), Ricochet is “"is a sort of sci-fi thing - a dystopian vision of a universe in which everybody identifies as dom or sub. The author tried to do it as a sort of high-minded exploration of how such a society would work. People identify as dom, sub or switch. They have weddings, but they use wedding collars instead of rings. When couples in a romantic relationship became serious they often started sharing a plate, with the dom hand-feeding the sub.”

Being a Dom or a sub is something you are born to be; the majority of people is homosexual, the few “monosexuals” are an exception. Same sex marriage is as common as heterosexual marriage; giving birth or using a surrogate mother is more or less the same, some same sex couples (or singles), have “temple born” children, meaning that they participated to a ceremony were priests are like “natural donors”.

Once you enter in the “alternative reality” the characters are living in, the novel becomes an “ordinary” show business romance, pretty much comedy like. Rick and Matt play two FBI agents, and subs, in a very popular fiction; but in real life only Matt is a sub, Rick instead is a Dom. They are also friends, even if prim-and-proper Matt is sometime exasperated by Rick’s laissez-faire attitude. Of course they are really in love with each other, and all their colleagues are aware of that other than them. When Rick proposes to help Matt to “train” for a very intense sex scene, the sparks between them become a full fire.

I think the most interesting side of this novel was how the author managed to turn a not ordinary scenario (D/s relationships) in something so natural that the reader was almost forgetting about it; there is no reluctance at all in the characters, on the contrary, they felt lost when their routine is mined.

elisa.rolle | Nov 20, 2012 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,770,407 books! | Top bar: Always visible