The Spirit Sherpa by Marc Littman

The Spirit Sherpa (edition 2012)

by Marc Littman

Author: Marc Littman
Publisher: CreateSpace Independent Publishing Platform
ISBN: 9781470056902
Reviewed by Michele Tater for Review the Book

“Every spirit makes its house, and we can give a shrewd guess from the house to the inhabitant."
~Ralph Waldo Emerson

A case of road rage has ended the life an self-centered man who is filled with hatred and intolerance, killed by, of all vehicles, an ice cream truck. The accident is not the end though, it is just the beginning of the real journey: the afterlife, as seen by Marc Littman.

The dead man is Manus, a Elvis loving, loves his car more than his family type of person. Will death change him, well if it did there would be no book to show how it didn’t change him one bit. You see he is a stubborn opinionated sort of annoying. Things change when he travels through his own “rabbit hole”, where things are not what they seem. It takes a really vast imagination to “see” this world. It reminded me of Clive Barker without the gore.

Anyways, Manus must prove himself worthy to continue this trip to the next chapter of his life, by visiting the past lives he has had and the choices he had made during them. Sometimes these flashbacks and forward flashes seem confusing, but they are necessary for him to fully understand the direction Manus must take to find his way. (I actually had to put the book down, because I was like “What did I just read?” And would have to reread the passage.) Love the humor and the aha moments, also the painful realizations that he must accept and learn from. Like in The Wizard of Oz, he is helped along by some unlikely characters that in there old life were quite infamous for different things. Each living in their definition of heaven with a outlook on life that is seemly changed after their deaths. Will Manus’s outlook also change? Or will he remain as he is forever? Read the book and find out.

An interesting look at how our past judgments may influence our future. Karma comes to mind while reading this book, many times. In the end, the book does make you think---What really does happen after we leave here??? ( )
  bluesky1775 | Nov 20, 2012 |

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,485,412 books! | Top bar: Always visible