Incendiary by Chris Redding

Authors:Chris Redding
Info:Imajin Books (2012), Paperback, 214 pages
Collections:Your library, Read
Rating:*****
Tags:arson, rescue, volunteer, love, crime, murder, greed, loss, fire, kidnap, secrets

Incendiary by Chris Redding

arson (2) crime (1) fiction (1) fire (1) greed (1) K (1) kidnap (1) Kindle (1) loss (1) love (1) murder (1) mystery (1) R (1) rescue (1) romantic suspense (1) secrets (1) volunteer (1)

I received an electronic ARC copy of this book from the author for purpose of honest review. I was not compensated for the review, and all conclusions are honest and entirely my responsibility.

This book was an interesting read; it was well crafted with neatly inserted points of view from firefighting and EMT work. It is a book that drops you into the middle of an ongoing story, and then proceeds to enlighten the reader into the background. Chelsea is both the main character and the pivot point around which all action circles as the Chief of the First Aid Squad, a volunteer service. Her brother Brad is captain of the Fire Department, also a volunteer squad, and angry and jealous of Chelsea’s management of their father’s trust. Chelsea is also mothering her nephew, having adopted him as an infant when her sister and mother were killed in an auto accident. Of course, the setting is a small town, so everyone is familiar with each other from childhood: the romantic interest is one of Brad’s former friends, Jake, who disappeared under questionable circumstances 10 years ago, only to return as the Fire Inspector for the town.

The mystery really wasn’t a difficult one for me, long before the clues were added up on the page, I had the answer to both major questions, who is the arsonist, and who is Max’s father. That I knew didn’t distract from the story in any way, because the arsonist was such a well-developed deviant and deceitful character that it was interesting to see just what he would attempt. Of course, this is also a romance that is surrounded with misconceptions and the questions everyone should ask, but they are all too proud or angry or both to just ask them.

My one complaint with the story is the missing background given for Chelsea and Jake and their relationship. Bits were shared, but not enough to give real ‘texture’ to their attraction or the obvious unfinished business and hurt feelings. Their current scenes, however, are well crafted and have a palpable sexual tension that does distract from all of the missing pieces.
This is very much a book that will not disappoint readers who like the romance genre. The introduction of the viewpoints of firefighters and EMTs add a sense of reality, and makes the characters more tangible and easy to relate to the world we encounter each day. It was, like most romance books, a fun read that wasn’t overly complicated or difficult to fall into the story, and it was a nice escape.
  IamIndeed | Mar 29, 2013 |
One hot number, who is the arsonist?

Sometimes trial and tribulation make us stronger in character. Sometimes too much power and wealth make us weaker. This story shows us both sides of the coin.

Chelsea has inherited her father's voluntary rescue company. Her brother is the town's fire chief. They are often at odds at home but are dedicated to their work which sometimes requires both fire and rescue. An arsonist is at work in the town and resembles completely the work of an arsonist several years before. The person suspected of the earlier arsons happened to be Chelsea's boyfriend and her brother Chad's best friend, Jake. But Jake moved away years ago, so who is setting these copycat fires?

Another friend of Chelsea, Brad and Jake, is Tim, head of the bank that holds the mortgage on the rescue building and equipment, and coincidentally has the hots for Chelsea, even to the point of trying to get to her through her adopted son Max.

When Jake comes back a decade later to clear his name, his return coincides with the new arsons. Is Jake setting these fires? Is he really back to clear his name? Or is he back to reclaim Chelsea's broken heart? Rumors begin once again and nobody knows who to trust.

Chris Redding has delivered a different twist of a mystery, a well-written scenario of did he - didn't he? Will she - won't she? Overcoming the past, saving lives, murder, secrets and rumor. Switching from loss and distrust to fear and desperation, with comfort, humor and love between, this book dishes up several flavors throughout to keep the reader spellbound. I found myself getting more immersed the more I read. Informative and captivating, compassion and greed, all wrapped up in one exciting package. ( )
  readerbynight | Nov 21, 2012 |

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,388,844 books! | Top bar: Always visible