Agenda 21 by Glenn Beck

Authors:Glenn Beck
Other authors:Harriet Parke
Info:Threshold Editions (2012), Hardcover, 304 pages

Agenda 21 by Glenn Beck

Emmaline is devastated when her mother is taken away by the authorities. She is left living with Jeremy, a greasy haired, insolent teen who is her assigned partner with whom she is supposed to have a child. Set in the former US in a dystopian near future, when Emmaline was small the population was rounded up and sent to live in compounds so that nature could be preserved.

Emmaline, whose assigned job is to walk an energy producing board for hours each day, is relieved that Jeremy shows no interest in her and has refused to touch her. She misses her kind first partner, George, who disappeared along with her father, and their baby that was taken from her at birth to be raised with all other babies and children under 14. Fertile individuals are paired according to the whims of the authorities. In the weeks following her mother's disappearance, she comes to know David, a night guardian who starts giving her eggs to supplement her diet, and John, a friend of her parents she hadn't met before who sneaks by at night to talk with her. Gradually, Emmaline begins to question the ways of the authorities in ways beyond what her mother implied, and gradually comes to the unsettling discovery that not only is everyone not really equal, but that when people disappear it's much more dreadful than she had allowed herself to realize.

This book is a fictional look at what could happen if the UN's Agenda 21 were to be taken to the extreme. I gave it 5 stars not so much for the politics of it, but because it was well written, kept me on the edge of my seat, got me interested in Emmaline and provoked deep thought. ( )
  Karin7 | Jan 20, 2016 |
A quick and easy read. ( )
  Marion_B | Jan 19, 2016 |
Eye opening, quick read. The story itself is pretty simplistic but the connection to the UN's Agenda 21 is chilling. I am not a gloom and doom person but this book was a wake up call. I'll be spending more time learning about Agenda 21. ( )
  becka11y2 | Jan 19, 2016 |
Ok, Glenn Beck can get on my nerves at times. That said, I love this book. Set in the not so near future, the government has taken control of every aspect of our lives. We must walk on treadmills to produce energy or we get no food. If we don't produce, we are taken 'away'. We no longer can go where we want to go or say what we want to say. You may think this is a work of fiction, but it is based on a Agenda 21, a movement started in California. I will leave it at that. Beck, whether you agree with his ideas or not, has a way of making you think.
  wearylibrarian | Dec 28, 2015 |
If you're not familiar with Agenda 21, I will quote from the publication itself: Agenda 21 is a comprehensive plan of action to be taken globally, nationally and locally by organizations of the United Nations System, Governments and Major Groups in every area in which human impacts on the environment. This is a short dystopian novel which takes Agenda 21 to it's imagined worst case scenario of implementation in which humans are relegated to small settlements in order to minimize the impact of humans on the environment. People are assigned sections, mates and work, including a quota of energy production. Food and water is rationed. There are no individual rights and people who do not meet the standard and people who question the system, disappear. Creepy. ( )
  nittnut | Jul 19, 2015 |

Glenn Beckprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Parke, Harrietsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
To all those who hold fast to the spirit of the American Dream Labs; the storytellers like Harriet who seek the hard facts and then find new ways to expose, enlighten, inspire and spread courage across the entire world.
They took mother away today.
[The purpose of Agenda 21 is] to promote patterns of consumption and production that reduce environmental stress and meet the basic needs of society--AGENDA 21, CHAPTER 4, OBJECTIVE 7.A
Humanity stands at a defining moment in history. We are confronted with a perpetuation of disparities between and within nations, a worsening of poverty, hunger, ill health and illiteracy, and the continuing deterioration of the ecosystems on which we depend for our well-being.
  The developmental and environmental objectives of Agenda 21 will require a substantial flow of new and additional financial resources to developing countries....Financial resources are also required for strengthening the capacity of international institutions for the implementation of Agenda 21.
  This process marks the beginning of new global partnership for sustainable development.--PREAMBLE, AGENDA 21, UNITED NATIONS CONFERENCE, RIO DE JANEIRO, JUNE 1992

When the government comes for her mother, Emmeline embarks on a plan to save her family and expose the truth behind the objectives of the United Nations' agenda 21.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,703,489 books! | Top bar: Always visible