City of Ashes by Cassandra Clare

City of Ashes (2008)

by Cassandra Clare

Series: The Mortal Instruments (2), Shadowhunters (2.2)

Recently added bySelstar, bethm13, Erina39, BookishBrain

English (360)  Spanish (2)  Dutch (1)  German (1)  Hungarian (1)  All (365)
These books are some of the most illogical, unplanned, hack jobs I've ever read. But I can't stop reading them. ( )
  never_sam | May 16, 2018 |
4 Stars!

UGH! The angst! 😭😱 ( )
  libraryinthecountry | May 6, 2018 |
Back story time. After finishing Mortal Instrument book 1 I said I would finish this series of in book for. Well that obviously was a lie. I went to the library one afternoon; the audiobook was right there at the book drop. I took it as a sign that I must continue the journey is audio formatting. And so that is what I did.

While I wasn’t too keen on the Natalie Moore narration on book one, I still wasn’t found of her tones in book two. The characters still became muddled at times. I found the voices just didn’t match up with the characters. I mean when I had to stop and go back to find out it was a male speaking part, but he sounded completely feminine then it’s slightly off-putting. I just don’t think Moore had the range to get to a male’s voice to sound like a male whether they were young or older. I still found Clary Fray to be whiner than my three-year-old as opposed to a great new Shadowhunter. I’m starting to think I just don’t like the girl.

The plot however was very interesting and that is what kept me going the whole through 13 disc. I mean I listened to it in the car, at the computer and I even borrowed my daughter Barbie CD Player to listen while I cooked.

The action was superbly designed, and the epic battle left you wanting more while satisfying my need for the deaths of many fictional characters. I enjoyed the new-found strength in Clary she does seem to be growing stronger and much more confident in her new-found power. While there were many times I wished I could throat punch her for what seem to be her never-ending obsession of the male characters at pivotal moments. Seriously if a demon is trying to kill me, I’m goanna worry about saving my own booty, not worrying about my feelings that I’m trying to suppress about the most awkward love triangle.

But what can I say as much as Clary gets under my skin I still want to know more about the girl and what will become of her. The plot still has me sucked in because well can you say Holy cliffhanger.

So, expect an audiobook for City of Glass (The Mortal Instruments book 3) Because someone nearby must be a book ahead of me and we are listening on the same schedule. ( )
  shealwaysreads | May 3, 2018 |
2.5 stars.
Well, I don't really know how to begin this review. The honest truth is that I'd hoped I'd like this book better than I did. The style of writing, for one, simply did not appeal to me. Also, there were just too many moments that made me cringe, or roll my eyes. Events seemed to progress in sort of over-the-top, not-quite-believable sequence. I know there are many people out there who really like this series, but I just can't seem to be one of them. I think I might only continue with it so I could get to Clare's Infernal Devices series with a clean conscience, in the hopes that it would really be as good as I'd heard. ( )
  UDT | May 1, 2018 |
This was a good second book. Though I have to say the only reason I continued on with the series is cause I peeked ahead to see if the author was going to "Fix" the issue I had with the last book. I found the main fighting scene to be just on the border of being too long and have a feeling that when the HUGE battle comes (I suspect there will be one) I just hope it doesn't go on and on... that all said. The characters were still fun to read and kept me at a quick pace. ( )
  MyaB | Apr 25, 2018 |

Clare, Cassandraprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Moore, NatalieNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Violine, MelodyTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This Bitter Language

I know your streets, sweet city,
I know the demons and angels that flock
and roost in your boughs like birds.
I know you, river, as if you flowed through my heart.
I am your warrior daughter.
There are letters made of your body
as a fountain is made of water.
There are languages
of which you are the blueprint
and as we speak them
the city rises.
-Elka Cloke
I believe I am in Hell, therefore I am.
-Arthur Rimbaud
Before me things created were none, save things
Eternal, and eternal I endure.
All hope abandon, ye who enter here.
-Dante, Inferno
For my father, who is not evil. Well, maybe a little bit.
The formidable glass-and-steel structure rose from its position on Front Street like a glittering needle threading the sky.

Sixteen-year-old Clary continues trying to make sense of the swiftly changing events and relationships in her life as she becomes further involved with the Shadowhunters and their pursuit of demons and discovers some terrifying truths about her parents, her brother Jace, and her boyfriend Simon. (Novelist)

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0743572750, Audio CD)

Welcome back to the exotic world beyond the shadows...

Clary Fray just wishes that her life would go back to normal. But what's normal when you're a demon-slaying Shadowhunter, your mother is in a magically induced coma, and you can suddenly see Downworlders like werewolves, vampires, and faeries? If Clary left the world of the Shadowhunters behind, it would mean more time with her best friend, Simon, who's becoming more than a friend. But the Shadowhunting world isn't ready to let her go -- especially her handsome, infuriating, newfound brother, Jace. And Clary's only chance to help her mother is to track down rogue Shadowhunter Valentine, who is probably insane, certainly evil -- and also her father.

To complicate matters, someone in New York City is murdering Downworlder children. Is Valentine behind the killings -- and if he is, what is he trying to do? When the second of the Mortal Instruments, the Soul-Sword, is stolen, the terrifying Inquisitor arrives to investigate and zooms right in on Jace.How can Clary stop Valentine if Jace is willing to betray everything he believes in to help their father?

In this breathtaking sequel to City of Bones, Cassandra Clare lures her readers back into the dark grip of New York City's Downworld, where love is never safe and power becomes the deadliest temptation.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:14:00 -0400)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 125,512,172 books! | Top bar: Always visible