dismiss

City of Ashes (2008)

by Cassandra Clare

Series: The Mortal Instruments (2), The Shadowhunter Chronicles (8)

10,205379482 (4.07)167

English (371)  Spanish (2)  Dutch (1)  German (1)  Hungarian (1)  All languages (376)
The second book in a series has the most potential plot of the whole story. The first book mostly deals with introduction and familiarizing characters. But, as you get to the second book, you know the characters well enough and the whole book can concentrate on the story. This book does just that. The story goes at such a fast phase. So much happens in this book and the reader is left shook at the end of nearly every chapter. This book deals with more of the downworlders compared to the previous one. And the end makes you to want to grab the next book immidiately. ( )
  manogna_thumukunta | Jun 5, 2020 |
3 STARS

I listened to this book for three days, Great serie!

however I got some issues with Jace/clary's relationship. it was just wrong every tought every word...

and Simon/Clary... Meeh

but i still like it, it's worth the time. this world is addictive and I want more! ( )
  Leila.Khouane | May 24, 2020 |
lgpb
  5083mitzi | Apr 25, 2020 |
This review is also featured on Behind the Pages: City of Ashes

Once you’ve discovered the world of the Shadowhunters, you will never go back to just being a mundane. Clary Fray is no exception. Her mother is trapped in a magical coma and her father, Valentine, continues his quest to steal the mortal instruments. If he has his way, he will bring the Shadowhunter world to its knees. Clary must help Jace and the others track down Valentine before it is too late. But this time it’s going to cost her someone she loves.

The characters are what make this series so enjoyable. Each one of them has a unique role to play, and Cassandra Clare does a great job of pushing them all towards what it is. There is a balance between the wide cast of characters, and I am never left wanting more from any of them. Each book builds on the last and allows us to see more into each of these characters and what motivates them.

This is one of the first series that I read such a manipulative villain. I still think Valentine is one of the best written villains of the young adult genre I have read. The way he can even trick the reader and make them doubt what they know is true leaves me impressed. Having read this series years ago, I already know the lies and the truths, but Valentine has a smooth way of talking that made me contemplate if I remember the series as well as I do.

In my original review, I mentioned how Cassandra Clare doesn’t limit herself. And I still believe this is true. The variety in demons, cultures and the overall world of the Shadowhunters is proof of that. She is also one of the few authors that can break her owns rules, but still, make it believable to the reader. And she isn’t afraid to break her characters, allowing them the opportunity to reforge themselves into something better, or worse.

I am loving my second read-through of the Mortal Instruments! ( )
  Letora | Apr 12, 2020 |
3 1/2 stars. Enjoyable, nothing too special, liking the world-building going on. Will read the sequel.

Must note that the supporting characters, Simon and Magnus are by far the most interesting, actually demonstrating growth! Who would have figured? ( )
  Loryndalar | Mar 19, 2020 |

Clare, Cassandraprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Moore, NatalieNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Violine, MelodyTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This Bitter Language

I know your streets, sweet city,
I know the demons and angels that flock
and roost in your boughs like birds.
I know you, river, as if you flowed through my heart.
I am your warrior daughter.
There are letters made of your body
as a fountain is made of water.
There are languages
of which you are the blueprint
and as we speak them
the city rises.
-Elka Cloke
I believe I am in Hell, therefore I am.
-Arthur Rimbaud
Before me things created were none, save things
Eternal, and eternal I endure.
All hope abandon, ye who enter here.
-Dante, Inferno
For my father, who is not evil. Well, maybe a little bit.
The formidable glass-and-steel structure rose from its position on Front Street like a glittering needle threading the sky.

Sixteen-year-old Clary continues trying to make sense of the swiftly changing events and relationships in her life as she becomes further involved with the Shadowhunters and their pursuit of demons and discovers some terrifying truths about her parents, her brother Jace, and her boyfriend Simon. (Novelist)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 147,901,898 books! | Top bar: Always visible