City of Ashes (Mortal Instruments) by…

City of Ashes (Mortal Instruments) (original 2008; edition 2009)

by Cassandra Clare

Member:kisimyn08
Title:City of Ashes (Mortal Instruments)
Authors:Cassandra Clare
Info:Margaret K. McElderry Books (2009), Paperback, 496 pages
Collections:Read but unowned, Favorites

City of Ashes by Cassandra Clare (2008)

English (242)  Spanish (2)  Dutch (1)  German (1)  Hungarian (1)  All languages (247)
Very satisfying sequel. Readers who were offended by the twist at the end of the first book may not be able to handle reading this one. But honestly, it's a fantastic story and dives much deeper into the Shadowhunter world. ( )
  Tigerlily12 | Jul 9, 2014 |
I'm not a fan of second books from book series. It seems to be true across the board -- Harry Potter, Caster Chronicles, even the All Souls Trilogy's second book was only luke-warm to me. Same is true here. I think I'm still feeling burned by the Jace and Clary are brother and sister twist from the end of "City of Bones." I loathe that turn of events and I'm constantly waiting for some evidence or some truth to come to light that destroys that assertion.

I like Simon and Clary as friends, but I really disliked them as a couple. The jealousy that Simon constantly felt and portrayed got old, as does the pining Clary feels towards Jace. Interestingly, Jace's pining for Clary doesn't bother me. I think because it's a new side to Jace from what we saw in the first book. I hope that side is further developed in the next book, and that it turns out that they aren't really brother and sister. I want the Jace-Clary couple!

Other than my character issues, a lot of the scenes felt heavy and drawn out to me. I wanted to just get on with it already instead of reading pages of text describing the interior of Valentine's ship. All the descriptions and battle scenes got long and felt boring.

3.5 stars ( )
  Jenna.Czaplewski | Jul 3, 2014 |
"If you really love something, you never try to keep it the way it is forever. You have to let it be free to change."
Although it really took me a long time to finish this book, i still loved it. I'm loving this series more and more as I finish the books.
I am officially in love with both Jace and Simon. especially Simon! (after reading this book)he's like the type of boyfriend that i would gladly have because i dunno he's perfectly imperfect.

and gdi the cliff-hanger. ASDKHASKFHASL
  PamZaragoza | Jun 27, 2014 |
I have to admit this book is a little better than the first book. The first book is like the introduction of the series and in the second book you get much deeper into the shadow hunter world. The movie is coming out for this book but I honestly don't know how are they going to make it since they changed the ending of the first movie. However I am still really looking forward to the movie ( )
  jennywulove | Jun 2, 2014 |
This is a much better read than the first book.

Really looking forward to the third book. ( )
  xscrtchxx | May 22, 2014 |

Cassandra Clareprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Moore, NatalieNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This Bitter Language

I know your streets, sweet city,
I know the demons and angels that flock
and roost in your boughs like birds.
I know you, river, as if you flowed through my heart.
I am your warrior daughter.
There are letters made of your body
as a fountain is made of water.
There are languages
of which you are the blueprint
and as we speak them
the city rises.
-Elka Cloke
For my father, who is not evil. Well, maybe a little bit.
The formidable glass-and-steel structure rose from its position on Front Street like a glittering needle threading the sky.

A lot has changed since Clary has found her way into the shadowhunters' world.
1) She and her friend Simon might be becoming more then just friends
2) She might have feelings for her new-found brother Jace, and there is a big chance he feels the same way
3) Valentine, an evil shadowhunter and her and Jace's father, is killing downworlders around New York, and Jace is still uncertain if he should join his father or not
The story of The City of Bones continues in the sequel City of Ashes!!

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0743572750, Audio CD)

Welcome back to the exotic world beyond the shadows...

Clary Fray just wishes that her life would go back to normal. But what's normal when you're a demon-slaying Shadowhunter, your mother is in a magically induced coma, and you can suddenly see Downworlders like werewolves, vampires, and faeries? If Clary left the world of the Shadowhunters behind, it would mean more time with her best friend, Simon, who's becoming more than a friend. But the Shadowhunting world isn't ready to let her go -- especially her handsome, infuriating, newfound brother, Jace. And Clary's only chance to help her mother is to track down rogue Shadowhunter Valentine, who is probably insane, certainly evil -- and also her father.

To complicate matters, someone in New York City is murdering Downworlder children. Is Valentine behind the killings -- and if he is, what is he trying to do? When the second of the Mortal Instruments, the Soul-Sword, is stolen, the terrifying Inquisitor arrives to investigate and zooms right in on Jace.How can Clary stop Valentine if Jace is willing to betray everything he believes in to help their father?

In this breathtaking sequel to City of Bones, Cassandra Clare lures her readers back into the dark grip of New York City's Downworld, where love is never safe and power becomes the deadliest temptation.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:37:49 -0400)

Sixteen-year-old Clary continues trying to make sense of the swiftly changing events and relationships in her life as she becomes further involved with the Shadowhunters and their pursuit of demons and discovers some terrifying truths about her parents, her brother Jace, and her boyfriend Simon.… (more)

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,653,015 books! | Top bar: Always visible