City of Ashes (Mortal Instruments) by…

City of Ashes (Mortal Instruments) (original 2008; edition 2009)

by Cassandra Clare

Member:kisimyn08
Title:City of Ashes (Mortal Instruments)
Authors:Cassandra Clare
Info:Margaret K. McElderry Books (2009), Paperback, 496 pages
Collections:Read but unowned, Favorites

City of Ashes by Cassandra Clare (2008)

English (266)  Spanish (2)  Dutch (1)  German (1)  Hungarian (1)  All languages (271)
The Mortal Instruments series has definately caught my interest, and has my mind always wondering what's going to happen next. I find it very unpredictable, and it's hard for me to put these books away or stop thinking about the story. The characters and romance between them is so gritty and different, I appreciate this so much. You will not find your stereotypical teen love here! I love everything about Jace and Clary, despite the fact, that they never seem to catch a break, they continuously make the right and honorable decisions, no matter how hard it is. Valentine has definately shown his true villainous colors in this plot, I wasn't that impressed with him in City of Bones. The story is fast paced, but the banter between the charcters (especially Magnus, I ( )
  sgcastellini | Feb 6, 2015 |
City of Ashes was definitely more interesting to me than City of Bones. Maybe it's because by the end of the last book, I finally held better opinions of the characters. The romance and angst are intense, but it's really all of the plot twists and turns that make the book complete. Jace, Clary, Alec, Isabelle, and of course Magnus all have some pretty interesting dialogues. They banter with each other often. This book was definitely worth the read. ( )
  AlphaHikar | Jan 14, 2015 |
Clare certainly keeps you reading. I wish there was more detail, and less telling the reader what was going on, but they are fun reads. ( )
  librarycatnip | Jan 12, 2015 |
City of Ashes is the second in The Mortal Instruments series and just as good as the first. City of Bones threw some wrenches into the romance and the frustration with that is just as palpable in this book. The action is kicked up yet another notch and the twists and turns just don't end!

The romance... oh, the romance. The frustration is overwhelming at times because what you want as a reader, you just can't have. The angst is unbelievable and it pulls you into the story, hoping page after page that you will get what you want! Jace and Clary are tormented and so is everyone around them!!

But more than the romance is the story itself. There are so many twists and turns as truths are uncovered and secrets revealed. Just as soon as you think you know where the story may be going, things change and everything is turned on edge again. The anticipation was wonderful.

One again, I am in love with the characters and the banter. I love that the cast is diverse because it makes for some fantastic interactions that are sometimes sad, sometimes serious, and sometimes hilarious. The banter is snarky, but intelligent and full of one-liners that I just want to find occasions to use!

My Recommendation

Definately a must-read after City of Bones! ( )
  Kiki870 | Jan 6, 2015 |
Okay, non so perché ma non riesco a fare una recensione completa di questo libro xD
Riesco a dire solo che l'ho adorato! L'ho trovato davvero entusiasmante, gli avvenimenti si susseguono rapidamente e mi hanno tenuta incollata al libro :D
Il finale lascia molti dubbi, essendo questo solo il secondo libro della saga, quindi non vedo l'ora di iniziare città di vetro :) ( )
  Felicetu6 | Jan 6, 2015 |

Cassandra Clareprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Moore, NatalieNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This Bitter Language

I know your streets, sweet city,
I know the demons and angels that flock
and roost in your boughs like birds.
I know you, river, as if you flowed through my heart.
I am your warrior daughter.
There are letters made of your body
as a fountain is made of water.
There are languages
of which you are the blueprint
and as we speak them
the city rises.
-Elka Cloke
For my father, who is not evil. Well, maybe a little bit.
The formidable glass-and-steel structure rose from its position on Front Street like a glittering needle threading the sky.

A lot has changed since Clary has found her way into the shadowhunters' world.
1) She and her friend Simon might be becoming more then just friends
2) She might have feelings for her new-found brother Jace, and there is a big chance he feels the same way
3) Valentine, an evil shadowhunter and her and Jace's father, is killing downworlders around New York, and Jace is still uncertain if he should join his father or not
The story of The City of Bones continues in the sequel City of Ashes!!

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0743572750, Audio CD)

Welcome back to the exotic world beyond the shadows...

Clary Fray just wishes that her life would go back to normal. But what's normal when you're a demon-slaying Shadowhunter, your mother is in a magically induced coma, and you can suddenly see Downworlders like werewolves, vampires, and faeries? If Clary left the world of the Shadowhunters behind, it would mean more time with her best friend, Simon, who's becoming more than a friend. But the Shadowhunting world isn't ready to let her go -- especially her handsome, infuriating, newfound brother, Jace. And Clary's only chance to help her mother is to track down rogue Shadowhunter Valentine, who is probably insane, certainly evil -- and also her father.

To complicate matters, someone in New York City is murdering Downworlder children. Is Valentine behind the killings -- and if he is, what is he trying to do? When the second of the Mortal Instruments, the Soul-Sword, is stolen, the terrifying Inquisitor arrives to investigate and zooms right in on Jace.How can Clary stop Valentine if Jace is willing to betray everything he believes in to help their father?

In this breathtaking sequel to City of Bones, Cassandra Clare lures her readers back into the dark grip of New York City's Downworld, where love is never safe and power becomes the deadliest temptation.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:37:49 -0400)

Sixteen-year-old Clary continues trying to make sense of the swiftly changing events and relationships in her life as she becomes further involved with the Shadowhunters and their pursuit of demons and discovers some terrifying truths about her parents, her brother Jace, and her boyfriend Simon.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 95,742,189 books! | Top bar: Always visible