City of Ashes (Mortal Instruments) by…

City of Ashes (Mortal Instruments) (original 2008; edition 2009)

by Cassandra Clare

Member:kisimyn08
Title:City of Ashes (Mortal Instruments)
Authors:Cassandra Clare
Info:Margaret K. McElderry Books (2009), Paperback, 496 pages
Collections:Read but unowned, Favorites

City of Ashes by Cassandra Clare (2008)

English (270)  Spanish (2)  Dutch (1)  German (1)  Hungarian (1)  All languages (275)
A história melhora, com muito mais demónios e algumas batalhas, mas sempre declinando a inspiração dos livros do Harry Potter. Mas acaba por valer a pena acompanhar a saga, pois passa-se um tempo agradável e distrai com uma fantasia razoavelmente bem imaginada. ( )
  bruc79 | Jul 31, 2015 |
Another fast pace young adult novel. I consumed the story at a torrid rate but I'm somewhat dissatisfied with the content. We are further along a path but to what end? Too much carnage and re-healing, not enough growth. ( )
  joeydag | Jul 23, 2015 |
City of Ashes is yet another sequel in a series that I absolutely love. Cassandra Clare's Mortal Instrument series is so interesting and gripping, that I can hardly put it down.

I picked up the first book because the description sounded unique and interesting...and because there was a hot guy on the cover. However, once I read the book, I fell in love with even more. This book, City of Ashes, was just as good if not better than the first one.

Of course the plot is really good. That goes without saying. However, the number one thing I love in that book is Jace. He makes me laugh and he uses witticisms that I would love to be able to spew at the right moment. He is what makes the story for me.

Simon...I liked him int he first book, but now....not so much. I feel bad for Clary, because it seems that she's slowly losing her best friend.

Over all, its a really good book and I still recommend reading this series. On to the third book! ( )
  SpazzyDragon13 | Jul 7, 2015 |
This sequel to City of Bones picks up shortly after the first book left off. Nothing new has happened except lots of thinking of the characters behalf. Cassandra Clare does a good job backtracking just enough information so that if the reader missed the first book they will not be completely lost (but likely still confused and missing key story elements) and works as a great refresher for those of us who had a gap of time in between the books. Yet it is short and does not detract from the new plot arc we are given. More adventure, magic and lots of angst await us within these pages!

***Note: This review contains spoilers regarding City of Bones. If you have not read the first book, consider yourself warned!***

This book really hits on Jace hard. I feel bad for the guy. First he is kicked out of his home, locked up by the Inquisitor and then accused of working with Valentine. All because he is Valentine's son and is at the wrong place, at the wrong time! Not to mention the tension and "situation" with Clary. A guy can only handle so much, right? So his loyalty is soon questioned by everyone, especially when Valentines offers Jace to still join him.

We get a lot more love triangle and angst in this one. The twisted family ties seem to have little bearing on Clary or Jace's feelings, especially when the Seelie Queen gets involved. Yet Clary is with Simon. And that relationship is all sorts of awkward, if you ask me.

The Seelie Court and the fairies are an new aspect that we are introduced to. Interesting characters here that I wish I could get a better feel for but are left vaguely mysterious still. Although we do learn a thing or two about Isabelle!

There are several severe twists in this book. Some obvious, others not so much. Like the first book, it keeps the reader lightly on edge and eager for more! The world Cassandra Clare has created just keeps expanding as she draws more and more into this stories web. Sometimes I wonder if it is a bit too much but I can't help but enjoy being a part of that world while I read.

Overall, I enjoy the story. The angst is a bit much for me but it also is part of what draws me closer to the characters. Jace went from being an annoyance to someone who is showing potential in this book. Clary is a bit too emotionally led in her actions all the time and needs to learn to use her head more. One character I really am curious about is Magnus. He is still an enigma yet easy to like and feel drawn to for some reason. So, here is to some character development, and plot additions! ( )
  jljaina | May 16, 2015 |
It was ok does not mean bad, really. Just that it could have been so much better without Simon dying every other page, and Magnus Bane being Victorian London Magnus Bane, not all Shadowhunters' guardian angel, and Jace's adoptive parents acting more like real parents instead of a bunch of disappointed teenagers. Valentine is fun, though. Cassandra Clare should have totally focused on him. And the Demon of Fear, whom I imagine similar to Charmed's Barbas. Killing children to draw their blood WAS kind of evil. Pursue that, please. Instead of romantic feelings between "siblings", coming out of the closet and having on/off relationships. ( )
  v_allery | Apr 19, 2015 |

Cassandra Clareprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Moore, NatalieNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This Bitter Language

I know your streets, sweet city,
I know the demons and angels that flock
and roost in your boughs like birds.
I know you, river, as if you flowed through my heart.
I am your warrior daughter.
There are letters made of your body
as a fountain is made of water.
There are languages
of which you are the blueprint
and as we speak them
the city rises.
-Elka Cloke
For my father, who is not evil. Well, maybe a little bit.
The formidable glass-and-steel structure rose from its position on Front Street like a glittering needle threading the sky.

A lot has changed since Clary has found her way into the shadowhunters' world.
1) She and her friend Simon might be becoming more then just friends
2) She might have feelings for her new-found brother Jace, and there is a big chance he feels the same way
3) Valentine, an evil shadowhunter and her and Jace's father, is killing downworlders around New York, and Jace is still uncertain if he should join his father or not
The story of The City of Bones continues in the sequel City of Ashes!!

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0743572750, Audio CD)

Welcome back to the exotic world beyond the shadows...

Clary Fray just wishes that her life would go back to normal. But what's normal when you're a demon-slaying Shadowhunter, your mother is in a magically induced coma, and you can suddenly see Downworlders like werewolves, vampires, and faeries? If Clary left the world of the Shadowhunters behind, it would mean more time with her best friend, Simon, who's becoming more than a friend. But the Shadowhunting world isn't ready to let her go -- especially her handsome, infuriating, newfound brother, Jace. And Clary's only chance to help her mother is to track down rogue Shadowhunter Valentine, who is probably insane, certainly evil -- and also her father.

To complicate matters, someone in New York City is murdering Downworlder children. Is Valentine behind the killings -- and if he is, what is he trying to do? When the second of the Mortal Instruments, the Soul-Sword, is stolen, the terrifying Inquisitor arrives to investigate and zooms right in on Jace.How can Clary stop Valentine if Jace is willing to betray everything he believes in to help their father?

In this breathtaking sequel to City of Bones, Cassandra Clare lures her readers back into the dark grip of New York City's Downworld, where love is never safe and power becomes the deadliest temptation.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:14:00 -0400)

Sixteen-year-old Clary continues trying to make sense of the swiftly changing events and relationships in her life as she becomes further involved with the Shadowhunters and their pursuit of demons and discovers some terrifying truths about her parents, her brother Jace, and her boyfriend Simon.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 98,522,528 books! | Top bar: Always visible