City of Ashes (Mortal Instruments) by…

City of Ashes (Mortal Instruments) (original 2008; edition 2009)

by Cassandra Clare

Member:archerygirl
Title:City of Ashes (Mortal Instruments)
Authors:Cassandra Clare
Info:Margaret K. McElderry Books (2009), Paperback, 496 pages
Collections:Read but unowned
Tags:fiction, fantasy, mortal instruments, urban fantasy, magic, young adult

City of Ashes by Cassandra Clare (2008)

English (257)  Spanish (2)  Dutch (1)  German (1)  Hungarian (1)  All languages (262)

Probably not, no.

There's nothing really wrong with the book, or the previous one. I picked them up because they were the big hyped YA thing at the time and I wanted something to potter through in German and figured pulpy, fun YA was the ticket. I think I've learned something important - if I'm not interested in reading it in Englishh, my enthusiasm for reading it isn't going to increase by reading it in German. Even if it's pulpy and easy. I need a story to drag me through it and, honestly, these books don't do that for me.

It's weird, I really love the world and the soapie-drama characters and plot is the sort of thing I can be tempted to jump on the bandwagon for. But not this one.

Jace and Clary are dealing with the aftermath of the "oh crap, we're siblings, we should probably put a hold on that crush we've been working on" situation, but they're finding that hard, and Clary hooks up with Simon who turns out to be a vampire and...

I just sort of didn't care. The world is fun, I love the shadowhunters as a concept. I don't mind Clary as a main character, I quite like Jace, it's just... they're a bit 2D or something? Motivations are slim on the ground and everyone acts emotional and irrational most of the time - even the adults! Fine for a soap, but doesn't give a book much depth.

It's YA, I do get that. I do get that the themes are all about emotions and relationships and simplified difficult concepts. This just misses the balance somehow. I didn't notice it so much in the first one but this one I really wasn't engaged with. I was never worried for any of the characters - there was no real threat that I noticed, even when Simon was "dead" on Valentine's boat. It was just sort of 'blah'.

It was easy enough to read and the world, again, is really fun. This installment just left me with very little to compel me to read the next one - even the hooks like the Inquisitor having some sort of epiphany about Jace just before she died and the mysterious stranger who is the only person who can help Clary wake up her mother.

I'm not sure if it's a pacing or characterisation depth problem, really. It could be either but the result is the same. Ok read, didn't mind doing it and enjoyed it in parts, but probably won't pick up the next one. ( )
1 vote heaven_star | Oct 20, 2014 |

heaven_star | Oct 20, 2014 |

heaven_star | Oct 20, 2014 |
Awesome book! I love the whole world. Most of all I love that Clary is so independent. Most books about a teen girl have her life revolving around getting a boy. Yes, there is a romance but it is not the only thing she thinks about. All the supporting characters are great too! I love the interactions with the Lightwoods and Simon! It has such great moments of levity when chaos is surrounding them!

Can't wait to start the next book. I have my guesses about where things are going.

grapeapril75 | Oct 18, 2014 |
Check out my other listens at Eargasms Audiobook Reviews

I love the extras from Jace's pov it makes himn seem like less of an asshat to me! ( )
  grapeapril75 | Oct 18, 2014 |

Cassandra Clareprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Moore, NatalieNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This Bitter Language

I know your streets, sweet city,
I know the demons and angels that flock
and roost in your boughs like birds.
I know you, river, as if you flowed through my heart.
I am your warrior daughter.
There are letters made of your body
as a fountain is made of water.
There are languages
of which you are the blueprint
and as we speak them
the city rises.
-Elka Cloke
For my father, who is not evil. Well, maybe a little bit.
The formidable glass-and-steel structure rose from its position on Front Street like a glittering needle threading the sky.

A lot has changed since Clary has found her way into the shadowhunters' world.
1) She and her friend Simon might be becoming more then just friends
2) She might have feelings for her new-found brother Jace, and there is a big chance he feels the same way
3) Valentine, an evil shadowhunter and her and Jace's father, is killing downworlders around New York, and Jace is still uncertain if he should join his father or not
The story of The City of Bones continues in the sequel City of Ashes!!

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0743572750, Audio CD)

Welcome back to the exotic world beyond the shadows...

Clary Fray just wishes that her life would go back to normal. But what's normal when you're a demon-slaying Shadowhunter, your mother is in a magically induced coma, and you can suddenly see Downworlders like werewolves, vampires, and faeries? If Clary left the world of the Shadowhunters behind, it would mean more time with her best friend, Simon, who's becoming more than a friend. But the Shadowhunting world isn't ready to let her go -- especially her handsome, infuriating, newfound brother, Jace. And Clary's only chance to help her mother is to track down rogue Shadowhunter Valentine, who is probably insane, certainly evil -- and also her father.

To complicate matters, someone in New York City is murdering Downworlder children. Is Valentine behind the killings -- and if he is, what is he trying to do? When the second of the Mortal Instruments, the Soul-Sword, is stolen, the terrifying Inquisitor arrives to investigate and zooms right in on Jace.How can Clary stop Valentine if Jace is willing to betray everything he believes in to help their father?

In this breathtaking sequel to City of Bones, Cassandra Clare lures her readers back into the dark grip of New York City's Downworld, where love is never safe and power becomes the deadliest temptation.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:37:49 -0400)

Sixteen-year-old Clary continues trying to make sense of the swiftly changing events and relationships in her life as she becomes further involved with the Shadowhunters and their pursuit of demons and discovers some terrifying truths about her parents, her brother Jace, and her boyfriend Simon.… (more)

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,029,193 books! | Top bar: Always visible