City of Ashes (Mortal Instruments) by…

City of Ashes (Mortal Instruments) (original 2008; edition 2009)

by Cassandra Clare

Title:City of Ashes (Mortal Instruments)
Authors:Cassandra Clare
Info:Margaret K. McElderry Books (2009), Paperback, 496 pages
Collections:Read but unowned
Tags:fiction, fantasy, mortal instruments, urban fantasy, magic, young adult

City of Ashes by Cassandra Clare (2008)

English (338)  Spanish (2)  Dutch (1)  German (1)  Hungarian (1)  All languages (343)
Book 2 was moderately better than the first book. The storyline, characters, and plot were decently developed. Battles raged, friendship trueness was revealed. ( )
  SBShepherd | Oct 16, 2016 |
This book is great. At the beginning of the book Alex and Isabelle's parents come home early. Maryse (The mom) talks to Jace and gets in a fight. Maryse doesn't believe Jace because Jace just found out his father was Valentine and Maryse thinks he new the whole time. Mean while Clary's mom is still in a comma and nobody knows how to help. Later in the book Simon, Clary, Jace, Alex, and Isabelle go to the Sellie Court (Fairy court). They ask for help from the queen fairy to help stop Valentine from getting all three mortal instruments. Close to the end Clary finds out she can create ruines, At the end of the book the shadow hunters attack Valentine at his ship and Clary blows the ship up.

I personally Loved this book. It has so many twists you would never see coming. This book never got boring to me. I was interested the whole way through. I would definitely recommend this book. It is both action and mysterious . This is a really good book so check it out. ( )
  RileyR.B4 | Oct 12, 2016 |
DNF at 40%

I'm sorry Ms. Clare, I just don't like your writing. I tried to like your books. I wanted to like your books. I was disappointed in City of Bones , but it was intriguing enough that I was willing to give City of Ashes a chance. I was hoping that this one would be better than the first one.

I don't like giving negative reviews, because as an aspiring writer, I know how difficult it is to write a novel. I haven't even gotten to the more difficult steps of finding an agent, a publisher and continued success like Cassandra Clare has. That's still an amazing achievement even if I personally don't like her novels. I just wanted to preface my review by stating that before I start complaining.

So, here are my issues with the writing.

One, I didn't think there was a real sense of setting. It sounds like a vague place where they live and work without much else going on. It's more of a placeholder than a well-developed world.

Two, the characters are two-dimensional at best. I didn't think their personalities had enough individuality or emotion. The dialogue makes them all sound the same and it didn't matter if I read the book or listened to the audiobook. All characters have a motive and that's partly what keeps the story going, but these characters didn't have enough motive to keep my interest. I didn't feel the emotions that the characters should have been feeling in different situations.

Three, I lost interest in the story. It felt like it wasn't going anywhere and since I didn't like the characters, I really didn't care what happened to them.

And four, I thought it had pacing issues. City of Ashes started slower than City of Bones. By the time I reached the 40% mark, it still felt like nothing was going on, so I gave up.

We all have unique preferences in novels and gravitate toward certain writing styles. Cassandra Clare novels just aren't for me. ( )
  JennysBookBag.com | Sep 28, 2016 |
Background: Clary’s mother is in a coma after dealing with her insane father and menacing bad guy Valentine, and all she wants is for things to go back to normal. In this, the 2nd book in the Mortal Instruments series, Downworlder children are dying and Valentine must be up to it. The Shadowhunters are blaming Jace for all the bad things his father has been doing and to make matters worse, Clary’s best friend Simon is acting stranger than normal. All they can do is wait and hope that Valentine does not start all-out war with the Clave.

Review: I loved City of Ashes, so much more than City of Bones. Here we see the character development continue with the suspense and tension from book one, but so much more. I know it is weird, but I am coming to think that Jace and Clary should be together; all of the tension wouldn't/ couldn't be for nothing right? So cleaver though.
I think my only hang up was that the word incredulous/incredulously was used a lot..but I may just be weird about things like that. I really enjoyed the teenage tensions between Clary and Simon, Clary and Jace, and Simon and Maya...fun to read.
I am always a little sad when a book ends on a cliffhanger, but I knew it was a series so the next one is waiting for me. :)
  sszkutak | Sep 28, 2016 |
Mortal Instruments is the sort of series that not just sucks you in, but makes you feel as if you've swirled down a whirlpool. If you try to swim your way out you just get dragged down deeper into the world of Shadowhunters, Warlocks and demonic forces in their battle between light and darkness. Lines are blurred and drawn between our heroes. Possibly one of my favorite new additions to this part were the Seelie Court and the lycanthrope, Maia, who may or may not be interested in Simon. As for Simon, Clary's best "mundane" friend, his life is altered to a degree you might suspect but wouldn't believe. We learn more of Valentine's plans to conquer the world for mankind. Like any great supervillian, he's convincing enough that even the reader starts to question the goodness of the Clave he's determined to tear down.
The High Inquisitor, meantime has arrived to find out where the loyalties of the New York Conclave lie, and Jace is used as a tool or revenge and retribution. Clare does an amazing job of interveaving character view points and motivations so you aren't sure who to root for, or exactly where their loyalties lie.
At the heart of the novel is the forbidden love between Jace and Clary. I have my suspicions that the "children" of Valentine may not be quite as he declares them to be. And it's heartbreaking as well as rendering to watch them fight the feelings they have for one another. In almost any other circumstance you know you should be revolted by the idea of them together, but Clare once again, burrows you so deeply in her characters that you feel as helpless and anxious to see them come together.
Anticipating to see what City of Glass brings to light. ( )
  JSilverwood | Aug 27, 2016 |

Cassandra Clareprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Moore, NatalieNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Violine, MelodyTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This Bitter Language

I know your streets, sweet city,
I know the demons and angels that flock
and roost in your boughs like birds.
I know you, river, as if you flowed through my heart.
I am your warrior daughter.
There are letters made of your body
as a fountain is made of water.
There are languages
of which you are the blueprint
and as we speak them
the city rises.
-Elka Cloke
For my father, who is not evil. Well, maybe a little bit.
The formidable glass-and-steel structure rose from its position on Front Street like a glittering needle threading the sky.

A lot has changed since Clary has found her way into the shadowhunters' world.
1) She and her friend Simon might be becoming more then just friends
2) She might have feelings for her new-found brother Jace, and there is a big chance he feels the same way
3) Valentine, an evil shadowhunter and her and Jace's father, is killing downworlders around New York, and Jace is still uncertain if he should join his father or not
The story of The City of Bones continues in the sequel City of Ashes!!

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0743572750, Audio CD)

Welcome back to the exotic world beyond the shadows...

Clary Fray just wishes that her life would go back to normal. But what's normal when you're a demon-slaying Shadowhunter, your mother is in a magically induced coma, and you can suddenly see Downworlders like werewolves, vampires, and faeries? If Clary left the world of the Shadowhunters behind, it would mean more time with her best friend, Simon, who's becoming more than a friend. But the Shadowhunting world isn't ready to let her go -- especially her handsome, infuriating, newfound brother, Jace. And Clary's only chance to help her mother is to track down rogue Shadowhunter Valentine, who is probably insane, certainly evil -- and also her father.

To complicate matters, someone in New York City is murdering Downworlder children. Is Valentine behind the killings -- and if he is, what is he trying to do? When the second of the Mortal Instruments, the Soul-Sword, is stolen, the terrifying Inquisitor arrives to investigate and zooms right in on Jace.How can Clary stop Valentine if Jace is willing to betray everything he believes in to help their father?

In this breathtaking sequel to City of Bones, Cassandra Clare lures her readers back into the dark grip of New York City's Downworld, where love is never safe and power becomes the deadliest temptation.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:14:00 -0400)

Sixteen-year-old Clary continues trying to make sense of the swiftly changing events and relationships in her life as she becomes further involved with the Shadowhunters and their pursuit of demons and discovers some terrifying truths about her parents, her brother Jace, and her boyfriend Simon.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,697,631 books! | Top bar: Always visible