City of Ashes (Mortal Instruments) by…

City of Ashes (Mortal Instruments) (original 2008; edition 2009)

by Cassandra Clare

Member:archerygirl
Title:City of Ashes (Mortal Instruments)
Authors:Cassandra Clare
Info:Margaret K. McElderry Books (2009), Paperback, 496 pages
Collections:Read but unowned
Tags:fiction, fantasy, mortal instruments, urban fantasy, magic, young adult

City of Ashes by Cassandra Clare (2008)

English (291)  Spanish (2)  Dutch (1)  German (1)  Hungarian (1)  All languages (296)
just as good as the first book if possinle even better. ( )
  Shazarah | Feb 6, 2016 |
Not quite as gripping as the first one. Jace, Clary and Simon frustrate me slightly but Valentine remains the consummate villain. Still enjoyable though. ( )
  Laurochka | Feb 6, 2016 |
I enjoyed it enough to finish and to pick up the next book, but I'm okay with not owning. I feel like Clare is trying to hard to be dramatic and not letting the story develop more naturally. One of the things I really loved about Harry Potter is that each book was about a year long, you got to spend time with the characters and really get to know them and their world, with Clare she sort just stop every once in a while and has someone explain what's happening to you and then moves on. I wish she'd slow her pacing a little they can have one nights sleep without someone getting mauled or changed and it's okay.
I don't think she's doing Clary any good, it kind of feels more like Clary is an observer who occasional has to help out and less like she's the main character. All these things happen to these other characters and Clary is just sort of running around going oh no this is terrible, it's my fault. It really feels more like its Jace's story at this point, which I like Jace so I have no problem with his story but I've been assuming it's not suppose to be the Jace and friends show but the Clary and friends show.
Hoping things slow a bit in the next book. ( )
  SamCanesi | Feb 5, 2016 |

Originally posted here

The second instalment in The Mortal Instruments is action packed from start to finish. So much happens, it is so enjoyable but I struggled to keep all the interconnecting events straight.

Clary is understandably reeling from the big reveal in City of Bones, and the book opens immediately with her and Simon together... romantically. That was a kind of slap in the face for me as I did not like Simon much and Clary friend-zoned him so hard in City of Bones that I was kind of confused at first. But you know, Simon became pretty cool by the end of this book - a lot of stuff happens to Simon and I ended up warming to him.

There is so much more world building, I revelled in all of the little details about demons, the mortal instruments etc. It was a huge step up from the first book, and I had no problems getting sucked into the world almost immediately. The 'downworlders' take centre stage and I found it so fascinating learning about werewolves, vampires and fairies. None of them are what I expected. What is so special about Clary and Jace is kind of revealed? I am expecting it to be further explored in the next book.

Jace and Clary.... It was so awkward! Perhaps not surprisingly, their attraction for each other doesn't just disappear and dare I say I could accept it on some level. Genetic sexual attraction is a thing after all. I had mixed feelings on how it worked out in the end, on some levels I felt it was for the best but dare I say it I was a bit disappointed.

There are so many infuriating hints strewn throughout City of Ashes. Oh my days. Characters literally start a titillating sentence that could reveal so much about the story only to be interrupted mid-sentence and never reveal what they wanted to say!!! I just know it is setting the stage for City of Glass, it is clever because now I want to read it immediately.

My interest is piqued, and I will read further into the series. I would highly recommend reading City of Ashes even if City of Bones didn't float your boat, it may change your mind.
  4everfanatical | Feb 5, 2016 |
In the northeast, which means I have no school and only my kindle. Review will be up sometime when the power is back! ( )
  uhohxkate | Jan 31, 2016 |

Cassandra Clareprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Moore, NatalieNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This Bitter Language

I know your streets, sweet city,
I know the demons and angels that flock
and roost in your boughs like birds.
I know you, river, as if you flowed through my heart.
I am your warrior daughter.
There are letters made of your body
as a fountain is made of water.
There are languages
of which you are the blueprint
and as we speak them
the city rises.
-Elka Cloke
For my father, who is not evil. Well, maybe a little bit.
The formidable glass-and-steel structure rose from its position on Front Street like a glittering needle threading the sky.

A lot has changed since Clary has found her way into the shadowhunters' world.
1) She and her friend Simon might be becoming more then just friends
2) She might have feelings for her new-found brother Jace, and there is a big chance he feels the same way
3) Valentine, an evil shadowhunter and her and Jace's father, is killing downworlders around New York, and Jace is still uncertain if he should join his father or not
The story of The City of Bones continues in the sequel City of Ashes!!

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0743572750, Audio CD)

Welcome back to the exotic world beyond the shadows...

Clary Fray just wishes that her life would go back to normal. But what's normal when you're a demon-slaying Shadowhunter, your mother is in a magically induced coma, and you can suddenly see Downworlders like werewolves, vampires, and faeries? If Clary left the world of the Shadowhunters behind, it would mean more time with her best friend, Simon, who's becoming more than a friend. But the Shadowhunting world isn't ready to let her go -- especially her handsome, infuriating, newfound brother, Jace. And Clary's only chance to help her mother is to track down rogue Shadowhunter Valentine, who is probably insane, certainly evil -- and also her father.

To complicate matters, someone in New York City is murdering Downworlder children. Is Valentine behind the killings -- and if he is, what is he trying to do? When the second of the Mortal Instruments, the Soul-Sword, is stolen, the terrifying Inquisitor arrives to investigate and zooms right in on Jace.How can Clary stop Valentine if Jace is willing to betray everything he believes in to help their father?

In this breathtaking sequel to City of Bones, Cassandra Clare lures her readers back into the dark grip of New York City's Downworld, where love is never safe and power becomes the deadliest temptation.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:14:00 -0400)

Sixteen-year-old Clary continues trying to make sense of the swiftly changing events and relationships in her life as she becomes further involved with the Shadowhunters and their pursuit of demons and discovers some terrifying truths about her parents, her brother Jace, and her boyfriend Simon.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,189,534 books! | Top bar: Always visible