City of Ashes (Mortal Instruments (Quality))…

City of Ashes (Mortal Instruments (Quality)) (original 2008; edition 2009)

by Cassandra Clare

Member:melydia
Title:City of Ashes (Mortal Instruments (Quality))
Authors:Cassandra Clare
Info:Margaret K. McElderry Books (2009), Paperback, 496 pages
Collections:Read and Released
Tags:mortal instruments, ya, fantasy

City of Ashes by Cassandra Clare (2008)

English (246)  Spanish (2)  Dutch (1)  German (1)  Hungarian (1)  All languages (251)
Ugh! Book 1 had potential, Book 2 made me feel like all hope is lost.

Jace is such an ass! WTH?! I don't give a damn about the secret that he was told at the end of Book 1, it doesn't justify his reckless actions and rudeness to everyone who loves him and cares about him. Plus he knows that Valentine is a very charming liar, yet he continuously "seeks" out Valentine and even takes to calling him "Father" (yuck!), where's that rebellious nature that we saw in Book 1?! The outrage?! The charm? Ugh, Jace and Clary are so useless in Book 2, making Book 2 seem like a complete write off and useless in developing the overall storyline.

Clary, ugh! So useless! You would think that with a bad guy like Valentine out to get you, you would train to fight back and protect those you love, not recklessly run into various situations and cause trouble. I did like that she discovered her talents for creating runes but that played such a tiny part in this book that it was like yeah she can draw but not much else, so basically everyone has to constantly save her. Ugh! Very Bella like, which is not what I want to read!

Seriously, most of the time it feels like during a very important and crucial moment when the characters have to be paying attention...they don't! and they end up injured! like duh! Pay attention when there's an upcoming battle instead of spacing out Clary!

However, this book was not a total loss. We did get to see more of Alec, Isabella, Magnus, Luke and a whole host of other interesting characters who do not get enough story time! Decent amount of action, but I gotta ask how the hell do we keep track of the various names of whatever weapons, not a fan of that.

Here's to hoping Book 3 is much better! ( )
  Dream24 | Aug 21, 2014 |
Loved this book. Had me reading late into the night. I can't wait to start City of Glass. ( )
  Tiffy83 | Aug 11, 2014 |
A great follow-up to City of Bones. Clary and Jace continue to wrestle with the revelations about their past from the previous book. Jace feels cut off from the family he always knew and Clary must reconsider her relationship with her lifelong friend Simon. However, the schemes of Valentine do not provide either of them with much time to lick their wounds and self-reflect, as they are drawn into the action when Valentine manages to get his hands on another powerful magical tool. Fun reading. ( )
  wagner.sarah35 | Aug 10, 2014 |
not bad, not as good as the first, hoping for a better third book ( )
  jodiesohl | Jul 31, 2014 |
Questa trilogia mi piace sempre più. Questo secondo libro ci porta sempre più dentro le guerre del mondo invisibile, di questo mondo nel quale gli Shadowhunters combattono i demoni e controllano che i Nascosti non infrangano la "Legge". La trasformazione di Simon in vampiro è un bel colpo di scena. Cosa non mi è piaciuto? Beh, prima di tutto il fatto che i Cacciatori siano praticamente invincibili: affrontano di tutto e di più senza alcun problema. I demoni cadono sotto i loro colpi e i buoni manco vengono feriti (o si curano in pochi istanti con le rune di guarigione)? Beh, dai... un filo eccessivo... Simon diviene un vampiro, ma accetta la cosa come se fosse il normale corso della vita. Per uno che fino al giorno prima non sapeva nemmeno che questi esseri esistessero al di fuori di AD&D mi pare un po' illogico... E il fatto che, dopo aver "bevuto" Jace riesca anche a sopportare senza problemi la luce del sole, rende il tutto un filino ancora più "irreale"... Comunque sono curioso di leggere il terzo capitolo della saga, sperando non rovini il tutto... :) ( )
  cecca | Jul 28, 2014 |

Cassandra Clareprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Moore, NatalieNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This Bitter Language

I know your streets, sweet city,
I know the demons and angels that flock
and roost in your boughs like birds.
I know you, river, as if you flowed through my heart.
I am your warrior daughter.
There are letters made of your body
as a fountain is made of water.
There are languages
of which you are the blueprint
and as we speak them
the city rises.
-Elka Cloke
For my father, who is not evil. Well, maybe a little bit.
The formidable glass-and-steel structure rose from its position on Front Street like a glittering needle threading the sky.

A lot has changed since Clary has found her way into the shadowhunters' world.
1) She and her friend Simon might be becoming more then just friends
2) She might have feelings for her new-found brother Jace, and there is a big chance he feels the same way
3) Valentine, an evil shadowhunter and her and Jace's father, is killing downworlders around New York, and Jace is still uncertain if he should join his father or not
The story of The City of Bones continues in the sequel City of Ashes!!

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0743572750, Audio CD)

Welcome back to the exotic world beyond the shadows...

Clary Fray just wishes that her life would go back to normal. But what's normal when you're a demon-slaying Shadowhunter, your mother is in a magically induced coma, and you can suddenly see Downworlders like werewolves, vampires, and faeries? If Clary left the world of the Shadowhunters behind, it would mean more time with her best friend, Simon, who's becoming more than a friend. But the Shadowhunting world isn't ready to let her go -- especially her handsome, infuriating, newfound brother, Jace. And Clary's only chance to help her mother is to track down rogue Shadowhunter Valentine, who is probably insane, certainly evil -- and also her father.

To complicate matters, someone in New York City is murdering Downworlder children. Is Valentine behind the killings -- and if he is, what is he trying to do? When the second of the Mortal Instruments, the Soul-Sword, is stolen, the terrifying Inquisitor arrives to investigate and zooms right in on Jace.How can Clary stop Valentine if Jace is willing to betray everything he believes in to help their father?

In this breathtaking sequel to City of Bones, Cassandra Clare lures her readers back into the dark grip of New York City's Downworld, where love is never safe and power becomes the deadliest temptation.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:37:49 -0400)

Sixteen-year-old Clary continues trying to make sense of the swiftly changing events and relationships in her life as she becomes further involved with the Shadowhunters and their pursuit of demons and discovers some terrifying truths about her parents, her brother Jace, and her boyfriend Simon.… (more)

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,159,150 books! | Top bar: Always visible