City of Ashes (Mortal Instruments (Quality))…

City of Ashes (Mortal Instruments (Quality)) (original 2008; edition 2009)

by Cassandra Clare

5,754None732 (4.16)140
Member:melydia
Title:City of Ashes (Mortal Instruments (Quality))
Authors:Cassandra Clare
Info:Margaret K. McElderry Books (2009), Paperback, 496 pages
Collections:Read and Released
Tags:mortal instruments, ya, fantasy

City of Ashes by Cassandra Clare (2008)

Recently added byhumouress, private library, blackdogbooks, Y2Ash, EmilyKM, rwatso, GenaVan, AprilAnn0814
adventure (37) angels (48) Cassandra Clare (34) demons (147) ebook (31) faerie (51) family (26) fantasy (418) fiction (210) magic (90) Mortal Instruments (118) mortal instruments series (28) New York (36) New York City (27) own (26) paranormal (82) read (55) romance (91) series (94) shadowhunters (62) supernatural (81) teen (39) to-read (77) urban fantasy (167) vampires (215) warlocks (32) werewolves (166) YA (193) young adult (275) young adult fiction (35)

English (231)  Spanish (2)  Dutch (1)  German (1)  Hungarian (1)  All languages (236)
In City of Bones, I struggled a little bit with getting to know Clary, however, this was immediately resolved in book two. What I loved about City of Ashes was that we really got to see Clary as a strong character in her own right. As she begins to discover her own unique power, the reader sees insider her head more. The romantic scenes between Clary and Jace were extremely well-written and will leave readers holding their breath to see what happens next. Again, you will get addicted to this series! ( )
  Stephanie_Keyes | Apr 3, 2014 |
I liked this one better than the first one. The whole Clary/Jace/Simon triangle is frustrating, but it is supposed to be. I'm still waiting to finish the whole story before making a final decision :)

I don't think Jace and Clary are going to end up being related in the end. What do you think? ( )
  CharityBradford | Apr 1, 2014 |

CharityBradford | Apr 1, 2014 |
Not good not bad...but what I can say is I'm looking forward to reading the next one. ( )
  amydnoland | Mar 31, 2014 |
Originally posted @ Novel Reveries
I liked the book, just not as much as the first in it's series. It didn't seem to have as much action... just more focus on love and, dare I say it, incest? Well, there may be some clues that the latter might not be true, with the actions of the Inquisitor in the end, as well as some other things that I won't get into because I don't want to include spoilers. In all the book advances the knowledge and strengths of the main characters as they fight to figure out Valentine's intentions and battles. I only hope City of Glass restores my interest in the series, because this book didn't have the zing that the previous book did. ( )
  Dnaej | Mar 14, 2014 |

Cassandra Clareprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Moore, NatalieNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This Bitter Language

I know your streets, sweet city,
I know the demons and angels that flock
and roost in your boughs like birds.
I know you, river, as if you flowed through my heart.
I am your warrior daughter.
There are letters made of your body
as a fountain is made of water.
There are languages
of which you are the blueprint
and as we speak them
the city rises.
-Elka Cloke
For my father, who is not evil. Well, maybe a little bit.
The formidable glass-and-steel structure rose from its position on Front Street like a glittering needle threading the sky.

A lot has changed since Clary has found her way into the shadowhunters' world.
1) She and her friend Simon might be becoming more then just friends
2) She might have feelings for her new-found brother Jace, and there is a big chance he feels the same way
3) Valentine, an evil shadowhunter and her and Jace's father, is killing downworlders around New York, and Jace is still uncertain if he should join his father or not
The story of The City of Bones continues in the sequel City of Ashes!!

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0743572750, Audio CD)

Welcome back to the exotic world beyond the shadows...

Clary Fray just wishes that her life would go back to normal. But what's normal when you're a demon-slaying Shadowhunter, your mother is in a magically induced coma, and you can suddenly see Downworlders like werewolves, vampires, and faeries? If Clary left the world of the Shadowhunters behind, it would mean more time with her best friend, Simon, who's becoming more than a friend. But the Shadowhunting world isn't ready to let her go -- especially her handsome, infuriating, newfound brother, Jace. And Clary's only chance to help her mother is to track down rogue Shadowhunter Valentine, who is probably insane, certainly evil -- and also her father.

To complicate matters, someone in New York City is murdering Downworlder children. Is Valentine behind the killings -- and if he is, what is he trying to do? When the second of the Mortal Instruments, the Soul-Sword, is stolen, the terrifying Inquisitor arrives to investigate and zooms right in on Jace.How can Clary stop Valentine if Jace is willing to betray everything he believes in to help their father?

In this breathtaking sequel to City of Bones, Cassandra Clare lures her readers back into the dark grip of New York City's Downworld, where love is never safe and power becomes the deadliest temptation.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:37:49 -0400)

Sixteen-year-old Clary continues trying to make sense of the swiftly changing events and relationships in her life as she becomes further involved with the Shadowhunters and their pursuit of demons and discovers some terrifying truths about her parents, her brother Jace, and her boyfriend Simon.… (more)

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,497,294 books! | Top bar: Always visible