City of Ashes (Mortal Instruments (Quality))…

City of Ashes (Mortal Instruments (Quality)) (original 2008; edition 2009)

by Cassandra Clare

Member:melydia
Title:City of Ashes (Mortal Instruments (Quality))
Authors:Cassandra Clare
Info:Margaret K. McElderry Books (2009), Paperback, 496 pages
Collections:Read and Released
Tags:mortal instruments, ya, fantasy

City of Ashes by Cassandra Clare (2008)

English (334)  Spanish (2)  Dutch (1)  German (1)  Hungarian (1)  All languages (339)
Mortal Instruments is the sort of series that not just sucks you in, but makes you feel as if you've swirled down a whirlpool. If you try to swim your way out you just get dragged down deeper into the world of Shadowhunters, Warlocks and demonic forces in their battle between light and darkness. Lines are blurred and drawn between our heroes. Possibly one of my favorite new additions to this part were the Seelie Court and the lycanthrope, Maia, who may or may not be interested in Simon. As for Simon, Clary's best "mundane" friend, his life is altered to a degree you might suspect but wouldn't believe. We learn more of Valentine's plans to conquer the world for mankind. Like any great supervillian, he's convincing enough that even the reader starts to question the goodness of the Clave he's determined to tear down.
The High Inquisitor, meantime has arrived to find out where the loyalties of the New York Conclave lie, and Jace is used as a tool or revenge and retribution. Clare does an amazing job of interveaving character view points and motivations so you aren't sure who to root for, or exactly where their loyalties lie.
At the heart of the novel is the forbidden love between Jace and Clary. I have my suspicions that the "children" of Valentine may not be quite as he declares them to be. And it's heartbreaking as well as rendering to watch them fight the feelings they have for one another. In almost any other circumstance you know you should be revolted by the idea of them together, but Clare once again, burrows you so deeply in her characters that you feel as helpless and anxious to see them come together.
Anticipating to see what City of Glass brings to light. ( )
  JSilverwood | Aug 27, 2016 |
I do not know what it is about this series but as much as I try I cannot love it. I was told to read this book because I love J.R. Ward and Sherrilyn Kenyon. I have even heard and seen references to Harry Potter (Mind you I loved every single series by these authors). But this series does not do anything for me. I think it is the characters that I do not like..Maybe the story.

First off there is Clary -- whom I find extremely annoying and I cannot stand when it appears that a female lead in a book is a Big Idiot. Seriously she makes us all look dumb and that bothers me A LOT. (I mean sometimes there are books where it works) but when you are trying to tell a story from a fool's point of view then the story turns foolish. This has nothing to do with the author just Clary and the fact that I found her extremely annoying. (Oh wait! I said that before).

Now the other characters I could not bring myself to get to know .. I just do not think this series has been for me. ( )
  Angel.Carter | Aug 11, 2016 |
This book had plenty of suspense. I couldn't wait to find out what happened next.

I was uncomfortable with Clary as she and Jace tried to fix their weird relationship. I really liked Clary and Simon, and was saddened by the fact that Clary was using him to distract herself from Jace. Jace is annoying. He's arrogant, selfish and obnoxious, but he does care deeply for people, and will do what he can to save them. I really, really liked the father, daughter dynamic between Clary and Luke, and it was nice to meet the Lightwood parents as well. Even as we saw Maryse pushing Jace away, I still liked that she was trying to protect him, that she still felt like he was her son.

I was sad that Simon was turned into a vampire, but it does put him more in the middle of the Shadowhunter world, which I think he may have unconsciously wanted. I liked that he has a potential love-interest in Maia, and that that might help to create tolerance within the two groups.

Magnus is kind of fun. He wears weird clothes and has a great sense of humor.

I really like Isabelle, though she is sometimes annoying, and from the little we saw of Max I thought he seemed like he had potential to become an fun and interesting character. I don't like Alec as well for some reason.

I'm not sure how I feel about Clary and Jace having superpowers. I guess it would have been difficult for Clary to be accepted into the Shadowhunter realm without her having a something special about her to make people want to teach her, but Jace is already annoyingly arrogant and didn't need superpowers to make him more so. And because he had basically saved everyone's butts I don't think they needed him to have superpowers for them to finally stop blaming him for what his father did.

Overall a this was a good follow-up to the first book ( )
  NicoleSch | Jul 19, 2016 |
These books are some of the most illogical, unplanned, hack jobs I've ever read. But I can't stop reading them. ( )
  EruditeVolatility | Jul 12, 2016 |
This was a good installment to this series. Lots are happening, more is revealed and I'm really upset with what happens to Simon. Don't want to give too much away. Just know there is lots of fighting and more is revealed. ( )
  MHanover10 | Jul 10, 2016 |

Cassandra Clareprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Moore, NatalieNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Violine, MelodyTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This Bitter Language

I know your streets, sweet city,
I know the demons and angels that flock
and roost in your boughs like birds.
I know you, river, as if you flowed through my heart.
I am your warrior daughter.
There are letters made of your body
as a fountain is made of water.
There are languages
of which you are the blueprint
and as we speak them
the city rises.
-Elka Cloke
For my father, who is not evil. Well, maybe a little bit.
The formidable glass-and-steel structure rose from its position on Front Street like a glittering needle threading the sky.

A lot has changed since Clary has found her way into the shadowhunters' world.
1) She and her friend Simon might be becoming more then just friends
2) She might have feelings for her new-found brother Jace, and there is a big chance he feels the same way
3) Valentine, an evil shadowhunter and her and Jace's father, is killing downworlders around New York, and Jace is still uncertain if he should join his father or not
The story of The City of Bones continues in the sequel City of Ashes!!

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0743572750, Audio CD)

Welcome back to the exotic world beyond the shadows...

Clary Fray just wishes that her life would go back to normal. But what's normal when you're a demon-slaying Shadowhunter, your mother is in a magically induced coma, and you can suddenly see Downworlders like werewolves, vampires, and faeries? If Clary left the world of the Shadowhunters behind, it would mean more time with her best friend, Simon, who's becoming more than a friend. But the Shadowhunting world isn't ready to let her go -- especially her handsome, infuriating, newfound brother, Jace. And Clary's only chance to help her mother is to track down rogue Shadowhunter Valentine, who is probably insane, certainly evil -- and also her father.

To complicate matters, someone in New York City is murdering Downworlder children. Is Valentine behind the killings -- and if he is, what is he trying to do? When the second of the Mortal Instruments, the Soul-Sword, is stolen, the terrifying Inquisitor arrives to investigate and zooms right in on Jace.How can Clary stop Valentine if Jace is willing to betray everything he believes in to help their father?

In this breathtaking sequel to City of Bones, Cassandra Clare lures her readers back into the dark grip of New York City's Downworld, where love is never safe and power becomes the deadliest temptation.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:14:00 -0400)

Sixteen-year-old Clary continues trying to make sense of the swiftly changing events and relationships in her life as she becomes further involved with the Shadowhunters and their pursuit of demons and discovers some terrifying truths about her parents, her brother Jace, and her boyfriend Simon.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 108,468,479 books! | Top bar: Always visible