City of Ashes. Chroniken der Unterwelt 02 by…

City of Ashes. Chroniken der Unterwelt 02 (original 2008; edition 2008)

by Cassandra Clare, Franca Fritz (Übersetzer), Heinrich Koop (Übersetzer)

Title:City of Ashes. Chroniken der Unterwelt 02
Authors:Cassandra Clare
Other authors:Franca Fritz (Übersetzer), Heinrich Koop (Übersetzer)
Info:Arena (2008), Gebundene Ausgabe, 480 Seiten

City of Ashes by Cassandra Clare (2008)

English (272)  Spanish (2)  Dutch (1)  German (1)  Hungarian (1)  All languages (277)
Clary’s life has been turned upside down -- demons are real and her mother’s in a coma. She’s getting closer to Simon and her newfound brother Jace. But she’s ready for it all to go back to normal. But someone in New York City is murdering Downworlder children -- is her father, Valentine, behind it? I’m actually writing this review from the vantage point of mid-way through book 5, but this series is frustrating. I’m enjoying it -- a lot -- and the tension is high -- but it feels like the actual plot is subsumed by the romance sub-plot more often than not. And I mean, I’ve barely done *anything* but read this series since starting it last week. I don’t think I’m going to write separate reviews. But seriously -- Clary and Jace need to be cut a break at SOME point. Gah. ( )
  lyrrael | Sep 3, 2015 |
"Since the previous book of this series ended with a cliffhanger, I couldn't help myself: had to start reading this one immediately after finishing [b:City of Bones|256683|City of Bones (The Mortal Instruments, #1)|Cassandra Clare|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1432730315s/256683.jpg|2267189]. I would like to mention that, when I found out about this series, I was going under a strict weight reduction policy; I would eat very little everyday, compared to what I was used to, and would run the treadmill for more than 40 minutes every day, no matter my stated of mind, or if I had other things to do or if it was the coldest day of winter. Somehow I managed to get my Kindle settled on the treadmill, 'cus I just couldn't stop reading. There is so much tension going on in this book that, sometimes, I felt all the characters would start going to group therapy together.

The events on this book happen in a much faster pace than the previous one, since Clary is now much more enlightened about the world where she truly belongs, so we are not smashed with so much background explanations. Despite the drama lying on the seemingly impossible love relationship between Clary and Jace, the whole story is built around the unavoidable conflict between Valentine's forces and the Nephilim.

I found it really entertaining accompanying Simon trying to come to terms with being a newborn vampire, as he is one of my favorite characters. It was also cool to be showed more of the Nephilim world, from new cities to the intricacies of their political system. Again, Clare shows her cleverness when trying to please teenager readers by showing them said political system being questioned and ultimately subdued by teenagers.

One of the features of this book that I really liked is that Clare kept true to her style, her story and ideas. From personal experience, I learned that some promising series can go down really fast after the first book, especially if it gets enormously famous and the author lets money get to their head. Fortunately, it did not happen with this series. There are the same exhilarating action scenes and the same particularities of each of the characters that make them individually especial. More importantly, there are still those hilarious scenes that make me laugh so hard: ""'I've got a stele we can use. Who wants to do me?' A regrettable choice of words,' muttered Magnus."". It was also really interesting to get to know more about Luke and his pack; knowing more about his background made me relate to him much more than in the first book. Isabelle and Alec also grew on me, since now that their bonds of friendship with Simon and Clary is stronger; as a result, Clare managed to depict them with much more realism, so they are much more believable now.

Sometimes Clare is a bit heavy-handed on the drama, but not so much as to turn the experience of reading unbearable. One little thing that bugged me about the plot, though, is that Valentine, who is supposed to be the ultimate evil, seen as being a threat to the whole Clave, doesn't seem capable of doing so. It might be Clare's strategy to depict him with some errors of judgement and weak strategical thinking, which might work if her purpose is to make him a more believable character, but come on! I was expecting a lot more ""holy shit! I didn't see that coming"" moves from that guy.

Anyway, there are a lot of action, tons of revelations and unexpected twists, specially regarding Jace's heritage and Clary's abilities with runes. I definitely liked this one more than [b:City of Bones|256683|City of Bones (The Mortal Instruments, #1)|Cassandra Clare|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1432730315s/256683.jpg|2267189], since Clare got to develop the characters and plot due to not having to waste half a book explaining Underworld folklore to Clary us.

Interesting/fun quotes that I didn't include in the review:
As long as there was coffee in the world, how bad could things be?
Growing up happens when you start having things you look back on and wish you could change.
Fate is never fair. You are caught in a current much stronger than you are; struggle against it and you'll drown not just yourself but those who try to save you. Swim with it. and you'll survive
Pain is only what you allow it to be.

The Last Passage
""She did it before Valentine got to her. So he couldn’t get any information out of her. She planned it that way. It was a secret, a secret she shared with only one other person, and she told only one other person how the spell could be reversed. That person was me.”
“You mean—”
“Yes,” Madeleine said. “I mean I can show you how to wake your mother up.""
" ( )
  AdemilsonM | Sep 2, 2015 |
A história melhora, com muito mais demónios e algumas batalhas, mas sempre declinando a inspiração dos livros do Harry Potter. Mas acaba por valer a pena acompanhar a saga, pois passa-se um tempo agradável e distrai com uma fantasia razoavelmente bem imaginada. ( )
  bruc79 | Jul 31, 2015 |
Another fast pace young adult novel. I consumed the story at a torrid rate but I'm somewhat dissatisfied with the content. We are further along a path but to what end? Too much carnage and re-healing, not enough growth. ( )
  joeydag | Jul 23, 2015 |
City of Ashes is yet another sequel in a series that I absolutely love. Cassandra Clare's Mortal Instrument series is so interesting and gripping, that I can hardly put it down.

I picked up the first book because the description sounded unique and interesting...and because there was a hot guy on the cover. However, once I read the book, I fell in love with even more. This book, City of Ashes, was just as good if not better than the first one.

Of course the plot is really good. That goes without saying. However, the number one thing I love in that book is Jace. He makes me laugh and he uses witticisms that I would love to be able to spew at the right moment. He is what makes the story for me.

Simon...I liked him int he first book, but now....not so much. I feel bad for Clary, because it seems that she's slowly losing her best friend.

Over all, its a really good book and I still recommend reading this series. On to the third book! ( )
  SpazzyDragon13 | Jul 7, 2015 |

Cassandra Clareprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Moore, NatalieNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This Bitter Language

I know your streets, sweet city,
I know the demons and angels that flock
and roost in your boughs like birds.
I know you, river, as if you flowed through my heart.
I am your warrior daughter.
There are letters made of your body
as a fountain is made of water.
There are languages
of which you are the blueprint
and as we speak them
the city rises.
-Elka Cloke
For my father, who is not evil. Well, maybe a little bit.
The formidable glass-and-steel structure rose from its position on Front Street like a glittering needle threading the sky.

A lot has changed since Clary has found her way into the shadowhunters' world.
1) She and her friend Simon might be becoming more then just friends
2) She might have feelings for her new-found brother Jace, and there is a big chance he feels the same way
3) Valentine, an evil shadowhunter and her and Jace's father, is killing downworlders around New York, and Jace is still uncertain if he should join his father or not
The story of The City of Bones continues in the sequel City of Ashes!!

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0743572750, Audio CD)

Welcome back to the exotic world beyond the shadows...

Clary Fray just wishes that her life would go back to normal. But what's normal when you're a demon-slaying Shadowhunter, your mother is in a magically induced coma, and you can suddenly see Downworlders like werewolves, vampires, and faeries? If Clary left the world of the Shadowhunters behind, it would mean more time with her best friend, Simon, who's becoming more than a friend. But the Shadowhunting world isn't ready to let her go -- especially her handsome, infuriating, newfound brother, Jace. And Clary's only chance to help her mother is to track down rogue Shadowhunter Valentine, who is probably insane, certainly evil -- and also her father.

To complicate matters, someone in New York City is murdering Downworlder children. Is Valentine behind the killings -- and if he is, what is he trying to do? When the second of the Mortal Instruments, the Soul-Sword, is stolen, the terrifying Inquisitor arrives to investigate and zooms right in on Jace.How can Clary stop Valentine if Jace is willing to betray everything he believes in to help their father?

In this breathtaking sequel to City of Bones, Cassandra Clare lures her readers back into the dark grip of New York City's Downworld, where love is never safe and power becomes the deadliest temptation.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:14:00 -0400)

Sixteen-year-old Clary continues trying to make sense of the swiftly changing events and relationships in her life as she becomes further involved with the Shadowhunters and their pursuit of demons and discovers some terrifying truths about her parents, her brother Jace, and her boyfriend Simon.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,783,205 books! | Top bar: Always visible