City of Ashes. Chroniken der Unterwelt 02 by…

City of Ashes. Chroniken der Unterwelt 02 (original 2008; edition 2008)

by Cassandra Clare, Franca Fritz (Übersetzer), Heinrich Koop (Übersetzer)

Member:Yuki-Chan
Title:City of Ashes. Chroniken der Unterwelt 02
Authors:Cassandra Clare
Other authors:Franca Fritz (Übersetzer), Heinrich Koop (Übersetzer)
Info:Arena (2008), Gebundene Ausgabe, 480 Seiten

City of Ashes by Cassandra Clare (2008)

English (330)  Spanish (2)  Dutch (1)  German (1)  Hungarian (1)  All languages (335)
Possible Spoilers...

They really need to add the spoiler button to the mobile app *sigh* Anywho, this was pretty good. It was somewhat predictable. I'm sure everyone knew Simon would end up a vampire, but I didn't see the daywalker thing coming at all!

The Clary/Jace show got a bit tedious, but I guess the drama needs to keep unfolding around them to make everything else happening around them more difficult.

And poor Alec. I wanna shake him and hug him. Growing up as he did, being gay must be terrifying for him. But you have this amazing, powerful, attractive Warlock that wants you and you basically spurn him in public. He'd better figure his shit out or Magnus might leave him in the dust.

Luke and Jocelyn...honestly I think she's developed more-than-friendship love for him, if only he would get off his ass and just tell her how he feels! I believe she would reciprocate

And now the mystery woman who can wake her mother approaches Clary...seems mighty convenient that she's just now coming forward with this info. We'll see how it plays out in the next book.

It's not jump up and down great, but I like it enough to keep going with the series. ( )
  PriPri77 | Jun 26, 2016 |
Vat ( )
  kt_traas | Jun 17, 2016 |

The first book was a good introduction into Cassandra Claire’s unique world filled demons, vampires, shape shifters, magicians, and the magic circle. The second book ended up being a bit better than its predecessor, and while it’s not a book that I rave over, it was almost impossible to put down.

The story continues with focusing (a bit too much) on Clary and Jace being attracted to each other, despite the end of the last book and it’s “surprising revelation.” I didn’t feel the chemistry then and now it’s just growing old. Thankfully we’re not dulled with a love triangle for long as it’s resolved in this sequel. I’m much more excited about Magnus and Alec, seriously, it’s the best part of the book – but sadly takes up very little page time.

The villain ups his game and the story itself grows more interesting as the characters struggle with their relation to him, where he’s going and what this all means. He uses a frightening demon to help him, one that plays on people’s fears and opens with a creepy scene. The villain Valentine is bad news, but even he doesn’t irritate me as much as the obnoxious Inquisitor, who I wanted to reach through the book and slap. Hate unfair political internal powers that the good guys are supposed to belong to…At least with the bad guys, you’re expected to dislike them and their system, but when the people are involved with a system and fighting for something or someone annoying, it’s made worse somehow.

Unfortunately, while the story itself has progressed nicely and has all kinds of interesting things happen in the complex world with the supernatural, the author has upped the angst and emotional emphasis. It has now entered more into a traditional YA angst type level, which isn’t wanted. It’s not bad enough to turn me off from the book, but it is noticeable.

It’s not perfect, but there’s something about these books that make them hard to put down, and anxious to read more. Just give me more Magnus and Alec please, and I’ll be much happier!
  ErinPaperbackstash | Jun 14, 2016 |
City of Ashes
City of Ashes,written by Cassandra Clare. Ever since Clary found out that Jace was her brother, she has been hangout more with Simon and staying as far away as possible from Jace. Then one day the vampires get a hold on Simon and turn him into a vampire, Clary and Simon where dating until the incident happened. Valentine needs a vampire kids blood for his ceremony, so then Valentine kidnaps Simon to drain his blood. Jace ends up saving Simon and lets him drink his blood, but something magical in Jaces blood makes Simon able to walk in sunlight without disintegrating. Clary ends up figuring out that she can create Runes that have amazing powers. The main reason there on this wild goose chase is to get her mother back. Then a mysterious stranger appears to tell Clary that her mother is in a magical coma… but she knows how to wake her!

This is the second book in the series ( the Mortal Instruments). Out of the six books this is my second favorite. This book goes more into Simons relationship with Clary and how she deals with it knowing she can't date Jace, but Simons loved for her for so many years and she never realized it. Thats not the only relationship that is forming... Alec and Magnus Bane (warlock) are in a intense relationship. That's what I love about this book you can never predict whats going to happen, and the relationships.
the real bond is between Jace and Alec, they are parabatie which means they are bonded together for life. The main reason I love this book is because the characters, and how they interact with each other. ( )
  lydiab.b1 | May 31, 2016 |
After re-reading this I had to change my rating from a 4 star to a 3 star read. I just found it very slow and hard to get into. It picked back up at the end and that is what saved it for me. I still intend to continue the series, as I would like to finally finish it. ( )
  LenaR0307 | May 30, 2016 |

Cassandra Clareprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Moore, NatalieNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This Bitter Language

I know your streets, sweet city,
I know the demons and angels that flock
and roost in your boughs like birds.
I know you, river, as if you flowed through my heart.
I am your warrior daughter.
There are letters made of your body
as a fountain is made of water.
There are languages
of which you are the blueprint
and as we speak them
the city rises.
-Elka Cloke
For my father, who is not evil. Well, maybe a little bit.
The formidable glass-and-steel structure rose from its position on Front Street like a glittering needle threading the sky.

A lot has changed since Clary has found her way into the shadowhunters' world.
1) She and her friend Simon might be becoming more then just friends
2) She might have feelings for her new-found brother Jace, and there is a big chance he feels the same way
3) Valentine, an evil shadowhunter and her and Jace's father, is killing downworlders around New York, and Jace is still uncertain if he should join his father or not
The story of The City of Bones continues in the sequel City of Ashes!!

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0743572750, Audio CD)

Welcome back to the exotic world beyond the shadows...

Clary Fray just wishes that her life would go back to normal. But what's normal when you're a demon-slaying Shadowhunter, your mother is in a magically induced coma, and you can suddenly see Downworlders like werewolves, vampires, and faeries? If Clary left the world of the Shadowhunters behind, it would mean more time with her best friend, Simon, who's becoming more than a friend. But the Shadowhunting world isn't ready to let her go -- especially her handsome, infuriating, newfound brother, Jace. And Clary's only chance to help her mother is to track down rogue Shadowhunter Valentine, who is probably insane, certainly evil -- and also her father.

To complicate matters, someone in New York City is murdering Downworlder children. Is Valentine behind the killings -- and if he is, what is he trying to do? When the second of the Mortal Instruments, the Soul-Sword, is stolen, the terrifying Inquisitor arrives to investigate and zooms right in on Jace.How can Clary stop Valentine if Jace is willing to betray everything he believes in to help their father?

In this breathtaking sequel to City of Bones, Cassandra Clare lures her readers back into the dark grip of New York City's Downworld, where love is never safe and power becomes the deadliest temptation.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:14:00 -0400)

Sixteen-year-old Clary continues trying to make sense of the swiftly changing events and relationships in her life as she becomes further involved with the Shadowhunters and their pursuit of demons and discovers some terrifying truths about her parents, her brother Jace, and her boyfriend Simon.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 106,860,755 books! | Top bar: Always visible