City of Ashes. Chroniken der Unterwelt 02 by…

City of Ashes. Chroniken der Unterwelt 02 (original 2008; edition 2008)

by Cassandra Clare, Franca Fritz (Übersetzer), Heinrich Koop (Übersetzer)

Member:Yuki-Chan
Title:City of Ashes. Chroniken der Unterwelt 02
Authors:Cassandra Clare
Other authors:Franca Fritz (Übersetzer), Heinrich Koop (Übersetzer)
Info:Arena (2008), Gebundene Ausgabe, 480 Seiten

City of Ashes by Cassandra Clare (2008)

English (338)  Spanish (2)  Dutch (1)  German (1)  Hungarian (1)  All (343)
This was better than the first, but didn't blow me away. Honestly, much of the story is quite predictable. And I still refuse to believe that the two kids are related. That's just foul. ( )
  Heather_Brock | Nov 23, 2016 |
I've made it through book two of MI! Woohoo! You know, even though these books are quite long, they are a surprisingly quick read. I'm really enjoying them so far, and man, Cassandra Clare has a killer way of building characters.SO! Let's get to the good stuff. In this book, Jocelyn is still in her sleepy time coma, Clary and Jace are still bro and sis, and Valentine is still the evil genius out to take over the world and ruin everyone's life in the process. Those are the major things happening. There is no way for me to review this whole book without just basically doing a synopsis so I broke down my favorite things I thought were worth talking about on my blog.

https://bumblebeebooks.wordpress.com/2016/07/23/city-of-ashes-by-cassandra-clare/ ( )
  leahlo89 | Nov 2, 2016 |
Book 2 was moderately better than the first book. The storyline, characters, and plot were decently developed. Battles raged, friendship trueness was revealed. ( )
  SBShepherd | Oct 16, 2016 |
This book is great. At the beginning of the book Alex and Isabelle's parents come home early. Maryse (The mom) talks to Jace and gets in a fight. Maryse doesn't believe Jace because Jace just found out his father was Valentine and Maryse thinks he new the whole time. Mean while Clary's mom is still in a comma and nobody knows how to help. Later in the book Simon, Clary, Jace, Alex, and Isabelle go to the Sellie Court (Fairy court). They ask for help from the queen fairy to help stop Valentine from getting all three mortal instruments. Close to the end Clary finds out she can create ruines, At the end of the book the shadow hunters attack Valentine at his ship and Clary blows the ship up.

I personally Loved this book. It has so many twists you would never see coming. This book never got boring to me. I was interested the whole way through. I would definitely recommend this book. It is both action and mysterious . This is a really good book so check it out. ( )
  RileyR.B4 | Oct 12, 2016 |
DNF at 40%

I'm sorry Ms. Clare, I just don't like your writing. I tried to like your books. I wanted to like your books. I was disappointed in City of Bones , but it was intriguing enough that I was willing to give City of Ashes a chance. I was hoping that this one would be better than the first one.

I don't like giving negative reviews, because as an aspiring writer, I know how difficult it is to write a novel. I haven't even gotten to the more difficult steps of finding an agent, a publisher and continued success like Cassandra Clare has. That's still an amazing achievement even if I personally don't like her novels. I just wanted to preface my review by stating that before I start complaining.

So, here are my issues with the writing.

One, I didn't think there was a real sense of setting. It sounds like a vague place where they live and work without much else going on. It's more of a placeholder than a well-developed world.

Two, the characters are two-dimensional at best. I didn't think their personalities had enough individuality or emotion. The dialogue makes them all sound the same and it didn't matter if I read the book or listened to the audiobook. All characters have a motive and that's partly what keeps the story going, but these characters didn't have enough motive to keep my interest. I didn't feel the emotions that the characters should have been feeling in different situations.

Three, I lost interest in the story. It felt like it wasn't going anywhere and since I didn't like the characters, I really didn't care what happened to them.

And four, I thought it had pacing issues. City of Ashes started slower than City of Bones. By the time I reached the 40% mark, it still felt like nothing was going on, so I gave up.

We all have unique preferences in novels and gravitate toward certain writing styles. Cassandra Clare novels just aren't for me. ( )
  JennysBookBag.com | Sep 28, 2016 |

Cassandra Clareprimary authorall editionscalculated
Moore, NatalieNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Violine, MelodyTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This Bitter Language

I know your streets, sweet city,
I know the demons and angels that flock
and roost in your boughs like birds.
I know you, river, as if you flowed through my heart.
I am your warrior daughter.
There are letters made of your body
as a fountain is made of water.
There are languages
of which you are the blueprint
and as we speak them
the city rises.
-Elka Cloke
For my father, who is not evil. Well, maybe a little bit.
The formidable glass-and-steel structure rose from its position on Front Street like a glittering needle threading the sky.

A lot has changed since Clary has found her way into the shadowhunters' world.
1) She and her friend Simon might be becoming more then just friends
2) She might have feelings for her new-found brother Jace, and there is a big chance he feels the same way
3) Valentine, an evil shadowhunter and her and Jace's father, is killing downworlders around New York, and Jace is still uncertain if he should join his father or not
The story of The City of Bones continues in the sequel City of Ashes!!

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0743572750, Audio CD)

Welcome back to the exotic world beyond the shadows...

Clary Fray just wishes that her life would go back to normal. But what's normal when you're a demon-slaying Shadowhunter, your mother is in a magically induced coma, and you can suddenly see Downworlders like werewolves, vampires, and faeries? If Clary left the world of the Shadowhunters behind, it would mean more time with her best friend, Simon, who's becoming more than a friend. But the Shadowhunting world isn't ready to let her go -- especially her handsome, infuriating, newfound brother, Jace. And Clary's only chance to help her mother is to track down rogue Shadowhunter Valentine, who is probably insane, certainly evil -- and also her father.

To complicate matters, someone in New York City is murdering Downworlder children. Is Valentine behind the killings -- and if he is, what is he trying to do? When the second of the Mortal Instruments, the Soul-Sword, is stolen, the terrifying Inquisitor arrives to investigate and zooms right in on Jace.How can Clary stop Valentine if Jace is willing to betray everything he believes in to help their father?

In this breathtaking sequel to City of Bones, Cassandra Clare lures her readers back into the dark grip of New York City's Downworld, where love is never safe and power becomes the deadliest temptation.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:14:00 -0400)

Sixteen-year-old Clary continues trying to make sense of the swiftly changing events and relationships in her life as she becomes further involved with the Shadowhunters and their pursuit of demons and discovers some terrifying truths about her parents, her brother Jace, and her boyfriend Simon.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,737,679 books! | Top bar: Always visible