Packaging Girlhood: Rescuing Our Daughters…

Packaging Girlhood: Rescuing Our Daughters from Marketers' Schemes

by Sharon Lamb, Lyn Mikel Brown

I'm checking out on this one. I wanted to like this book more - but I am struggling to get through it.

The advice seemed very repetitious just a few chapters in. No rocket science here...if you care enough about raising girls to check out this book - then you are probably already on a good path. ( )
  dms02 | Feb 27, 2014 |
I am sort of torn on this book. I really like the information presented and have been reading other books in this same genre. Since I've read a couple of similar books to this in the recent past, I'm pretty sure that's why I found it sort of difficult to read through. It was much drier than the other books.

I do like the information that was presented and agree that the media and large corporations are really messing people up, especially girls. I have started to really notice things more after reading this and others, but that I think can also be attributed to being pregnant. You don't notice a lot of things until it'll somehow effect you.

This book was nice because I think it allows for better dialogue between parents and their children. This particular book has some really good resources and suggestions on how to approach conversations. Overall, I like it although it can have some really tedious sections if you are familiar with the subject. ( )
  Zura27 | May 7, 2013 |
Summary:
This book concentrates on the effects of media and pop culture on girls. It specifically analyses how media and consumerism affects what they see, hear, read, and play. It looks at popular movies, songs, books, magazines, and games. This gave it a unique perspective. The goal is to teach girls how to reflect on their world and see how society is affecting them.
The majority of movies and programs girls watch promote gender stereotypes.

Personal Reaction:
I like how it incorporates pop culture into the lives of girls and explains the images and perceptions it feeds to girls and describes the effect this has on them. This book has a lot of great information and statistics.

Classroom Extension Ideas:
1. I would use this book for an "all about me" day where the students are able to share the kinda things they like.
2. I would use this book to teach lessons on stereotypes. ( )
  JeraSullivan | Apr 15, 2012 |
From the preface: "we've been told our world empowers girls by offering them anyting they want, including infinite sights and endless ports of call. In reality, it's a world designed by media and marketing executives that targets children as consumers, channels girls' desires, and entices them into predictable types: 'pretty pink dolls,' 'cute little shoppers,' and 'hott teens'."

Packaging Girlhood covers the influences on girls from roughly ages 3 through 17. The chapters cover shopping (the products available and how they are marketed), TV and film, music, books and extra-curricular activities. The final chapter gives sample conversations for parents when discussing culture with their daughters.

Although I was familiar with a lot of the authors' concerns, and they did repeat themselves quite a bit, I found this to be an extremely interesting and inspiring read. I think what made this book different from others that I've read on this topic is that there was always a psychological POV involved (including what it is about these products that appeals to the girls, but also the psychology of the marketers and of parents). I especially enjoyed the chapter on books, and the literary critique from a psychological approach.

I borrowed this book from the library, but I am ordering my own copy to keep as a reference.

Recommended for: obviously the parents of girls, but also anyone who works with girls, and anyone interested in cultural studies or consumerism. The authors have also written Packaging Boyhood: Saving Our Sons from Superheroes, Slackers, and Other Media Stereotypes. ( )
7 vote Nickelini | Jul 18, 2011 |
Lamb and Brown, both psychologists, came to harsh conclusions after they surveyed girls; sat through hours of Rugrats and Kim Possible television programming; scoured stores such as Hot Topic and Claire's; watched Hilary Duff movies; listened to Eminem and Beyoncé; visited MySpace.com; and read Caldecott books. The idea of "girl power was snapped up by the media," and "what it sells is an image of being empowered," argue the authors. Girls are offered two choices by the marketers: they are "either for the boys or one of the boys." Even rebellion is being packaged, "the resistance, that edginess and irreverence that once gave girls a pathway out of the magic kingdom." The book is incredibly readable and rises above others in the genre by giving parents concrete tools to help battle stereotypes. Lamb and Brown include lists of books and movies with positive role models and talking points to help your daughter recognize how she is being manipulated. The authors aren't trying to deny anyone princesses or pink; they just want girls to be knowledgeable enough to choose what will truly interest them.
3 vote dvrcvlibrary | May 30, 2011 |

Sharon Lambprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Brown, Lyn Mikelmain authorall editionsconfirmed

Winner of the Books for a Better Life Award

Every parent who cares about empowering her daughter should own a copy."
- Rachel Simmons, author of Odd Girl Out:  The Hidden Culture of Aggression in Girls

"...a must-read for parents and teachers who want to steer girls away from marketing schemes that distort female power and authority and toward true self-acceptance and authentic empowerment."
-- Polly Young Eisendrath, author of Women and Desire and The Resilient Spirit

The image of girls and girlhood that is being packaged and sold to your daughter isn't pretty in pink.  It is stereotypical, demeaning, limiting, and alarming.  Girls are besieged by images in the media that encourage accessorizing over academics; sex appeal over sports; fashion over friendship.
Packaging Girlhood exposes these stereotypes and gives you guidance on how to talk with your daughters about these negative images and provides you with tools and information on how to help your girls make more positive choices.

"A tour de force of excellent scholarship put in a very readable context and chockfull of practical suggestions for parents for change!"
-- William S. Pollack, Ph.D., author of Real Boys: Rescuing Our Sons from the Myths of Boyhood

"Sharon Lamb and Lyn Mikel Brown have that rare gift of translating cutting-edge research and analysis into strategies and information that every parent (and every girl) can use in daily life."
-- Joe Kelly, president of Dads and Daughters (DADs)

"With compassion, insight, and humor [Lamb and Brown] unravel and demystify the messages girls confront throughout their development, and they offer adults useful tools to help girls resist their powerful pull."
-- Lynn M. Phillips, Ph.D., Department of Communications, University of Massachusetts, Amherst

"Sharon Lamb and Lyn Mikel Brown's sharp analysis and patiently pragmatic advice is just what we need to sustain our daughter's quests for healthy identities."
-Michael Kimmel, author Manhood in America, Professor, SUNY Stony Brook

Sharon Lamb, author of The Secret Lives of Girls, is professor of Psychology at Saint Michael's College in Vermont.  Her research on girls' and teens' development is widely cited.  Additionally, she listens to their struggles and strengths in her private practice.

Lyn Mikel Brown, professor of Education at Colby College in Maine, is the author of three books on girls' development, including Meeting at the Crossroads: Women's Psychology and Girls' Development (with Carol Gilligan).  She creates programs for girls at her nonprofit Hardy Girls Healthy Women (www.hghw.org).

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:43:17 -0400)

"Packaging Girlhood exposes stereotypes and the very limited choices presented to girls of who or what they can be. Sharon Lamb and Lyn Mikel Brown give you guidance on how to talk with your daughters about these negative images and provide you with the tools and information you need to help your girls make more positive choices about the way they define themselves in the real world."--BOOK JACKET.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,498,337 books! | Top bar: Always visible