P.S. Be Eleven by Rita Williams-Garcia
    One Crazy Summer by Rita Williams-Garcia (CurrerBell)
    CurrerBell: P.S. Be Eleven is the sequel to One Crazy Summer.

This is a year in the lives of three sisters who live in NYC. The story lets live with them for a whole, adventurous year. Delphine is the oldest girl and the story is told through her experiences. It is a story of love, fun, loss, and sadness.
  edwardcandler | Feb 27, 2017 |
I liked this book even better than One Crazy Summer. I fell in love with the Gaither girls this time, especially Delphine as she is becoming of age. I didn't like Big Ma in this book and I don't the author wanted the reader to like her, but she was a true picture of what a grandmother would be like in the setting and situation. I won't risk a spoiler by being specific, but I was disappointed that some things didn't work out in a happier manner, but then again that's true life for you. I can see a sequel to this book in the lives of the Gaithers. ( )
  jothebookgirl | Jan 3, 2017 |
library copy ( )
  Kaethe | Oct 16, 2016 |
I loved One Crazy Summer and loved this sequel as well. I actually read them in reverse order! I read this one first and then just *had* to read the first one. I love how well the author connects the reader to the characters. Delphine definitely steals the show in this book. Great story with a great theme! Be young while you can!

#sequel
#historicalfiction ( )
  kgilpin | Feb 29, 2016 |
Love the sassy, exuberant vibes of Delphine and her sisters. There's a lot going on in Delphine's life: Uncle Darnell's troubled return from Vietnam, middle school teen drama, letters with Cecile, and Pa's new wife, Mrs. The author pulls it all together without it becoming a mish-mash of issues. I'm still puzzling over Delphine's not-funny valentine card from Oakland and what it meant. ( )
  Salsabrarian | Feb 2, 2016 |
Rita Williams-Garcia's "One Crazy Summer" is among my all-time favorites. I'm far from alone: a constellation of awards and honors gleams on its cover.
****
Now comes the sequel, "P.S. Be Eleven," and it had me anxious. How could a second book perform the same magic? A few pages in, I stopped worrying.

Delphine and her sisters return to Brooklyn from visiting their estranged mother, Cecile, a poet who sent them off every day to a camp run by the Black Panthers in Williams-Garcia’s Newbery Honor–winning One Crazy Summer.
added by CurrerBell | editPublisher's Weekly (Apr 15, 2013)

Readers will cheer the return of the three sisters who captured hearts in the Newbery Honor–winning One Crazy Summer (2010).
added by CurrerBell | editKirkus (Feb 27, 2013)

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0061938629, Hardcover)

Rita Williams-Garcia’s much-anticipated middle-grade novel P.S. Be Eleven is the sequel to her New York Times bestseller One Crazy Summer, a Newbery Honor Book and winner of the Coretta Scott King Award.

Eleven-year-old Brooklyn girl Delphine feels overwhelmed with worries and responsibilities. She’s just started sixth grade and is self-conscious about being the tallest girl in the class, and nervous about her first school dance. She’s supposed to be watching her sisters, but Fern and Vonetta are hard to control. Her uncle Darnell is home from Vietnam and seems different. And her pa has a girlfriend. At least Delphine can write to her mother in Oakland, California, for advice. But why does her mother tell her to “be eleven” when Delphine is now twelve?

The historical novel, set in the 1960s, features vivid characters, insight into family relationships, and a strong sense of place.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:08:06 -0400)

"Eleven-year-old Brooklyn girl Delphine feels overwhelmed with worries and responsibilities. She's just started sixth grade and is self-conscious about being the tallest girl in the class, and nervous about her first school dance. She's supposed to be watching her sisters, but Fern and Vonetta are hard to control. Her uncle Darnell is home from Vietnam and seems different. And her pa has a girlfriend. At least Delphine can write to her mother in Oakland, California, for advice. But why does her mother tell her to 'be eleven' when Delphine is now twelve?" -- from publisher's web site.… (more)

LibraryThing Member Giveaway

Rita Williams-Garcia's book P.S. Be Eleven was available from LibraryThing Member Giveaway.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,046,607 books! | Top bar: Always visible