Out of Order: Stories from the History of…

Out of Order: Stories from the History of the Supreme Court

by Sandra Day O'Connor

Not written for a lawyer as the stories are all well known, but at least it was short, and another free library audiobook to listen to while Henry sleeps on our walks. ( )
  TravbudJ | Sep 15, 2018 |
Sadly, this book fell pretty far short of my expectations. The Supreme Court is an institution with a lot of tradition without much visibility, relatively speaking, into its inner workings, so given the title and the author I was expecting a unique personal perspective of what it was like to see the Court from the inside. Additionally I figured this would be a story of the challenges and rewards of being the first woman to serve in that role. Instead it is mostly a brief summary of how the Court works and it's history. This is worth something on it's own, certainly but it is written at a level appropriate for high school freshmen and not even very well at that. I've never ready any of O'Connor's opinions but I assume they must have been of a higher caliber than this. The latter portion of the book is dedicated to some humorous anecdotes and reminiscences, but they felt half-hearted and weren't very engaging. Given how great this book could have been, I was left pretty disappointed and can't see myself recommending it to anyone. ( )
  dan4mayor | Jun 28, 2018 |
This was interesting...but a very light and easy read. I was expecting a bit more of Sandra Day O'Connor's analysis of the Supreme Court. Instead, she touches lightly on many interesting aspects of the Court. I enjoyed it...and will continue to look for a book that enlightens more about the deliberation of the Supreme Court Justices. ( )
  Montanagirlsclub | Oct 31, 2017 |
A very informative and interesting insider's view of the history of the Supreme Court. O'Connor sketches interesting portraits of the appointments over the years and of notable figures in the court's past. She describes the justices' views on oral arguments before the courts, a process that has evolved considerably over the years. The customs of the court and the justices are revealed,including those that are known only by the insiders. She gives us a look at the early years of the court when circuit riding to inferior courts was a major duty of the justices, one that grew more taxing as the nation grew.

This is a warm and gentle look at the court, not intended to be a criticism of justices or the decisions made over the years. It seems to mirror the moderate and balanced persona that is the public's perception of this well-regarded jurist. ( )
  stevesmits | Apr 1, 2016 |
This book just sucked. If you are looking for personal anecdotes or a personal memoir, look to the recent memoir by John Paul Stevens and don't waste your money on this. Justice O'Connor has an amazing legacy but this book tarnishes it. She basically cut and paste the Supreme Court Wikipedia and shares lifeless snippets about the Court thru history. ( )
  lincolnpan | Dec 31, 2014 |

“I called this book Out of Order because it reflects my goal, which is to share a different side of the Supreme Court. Most people know the Court only as it exists between bangs of the gavel, when the Court comes to order to hear arguments or give opinions. But the stories of the Court and the Justices that come from the ‘out of order’ moments add to the richness of the Court as both a branch of our government and a human institution.”—Justice Sandra Day O’Connor

From Justice Sandra Day O’Connor, the first woman to sit on the United States Supreme Court, comes this fascinating book about the history and evolution of the highest court in the land.

Out of Order sheds light on the centuries of change and upheaval that transformed the Supreme Court from its uncertain beginnings into the remarkable institution that thrives and endures today. From the early days of circuit-riding, when justices who also served as trial judges traveled thousands of miles per year on horseback to hear cases, to the changes in civil rights ushered in by Earl Warren and Thurgood Marshall; from foundational decisions such as Marbury vs. Madison to modern-day cases such as Hamdi vs. Rumsfeld, Justice O’Connor weaves together stories and lessons from the history of the Court, charting turning points and pivotal moments that have helped define our nation’s progress.

With unparalleled insight and her unique perspective as a history-making figure, Justice O’Connor takes us on a personal exploration, painting vivid pictures of Justices in history, including Oliver Wendell Holmes Jr., one of the greatest jurists of all time; Thurgood Marshall, whose understated and succinct style would come to transform oral argument; William O. Douglas, called “The Lone Ranger” because of his impassioned and frequent dissents; and John Roberts, whom Justice O’Connor considers to be the finest practitioner of oral argument she has ever witnessed in Court. We get a rare glimpse into the Supreme Court’s inner workings: how cases are chosen for hearing; the personal relationships that exist among the Justices; and the customs and traditions, both public and private, that bind one generation of jurists to the next—from the seating arrangements at Court lunches to the fiercely competitive basketball games played in the Court Building’s top-floor gymnasium, the so-called “highest court in the land.”

Wise, candid, and assured, Out of Order is a rich offering of inspiring stories of one of our country’s most important institutions, from one of our country’s most respected pioneers.

“In this delightful collection of tales, Sandra Day O’Connor shows us the personal side of the Supreme Court while reminding us of the critical role the Court plays. It’s a lovely book—and a valuable treasure for all Americans.”—Walter Isaacson, author of Steve Jobs

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:11:59 -0400)

From the first woman to sit on the United States Supreme Court comes this fascinating book about the history and evolution of the highest court in the land. Out of Order sheds light on the centuries of change and upheaval that transformed the Supreme Court from its uncertain beginnings into the remarkable institution that thrives and endures today. Justice O'Connor weaves together stories and lessons from the history of the Court, charting turning points and pivotal moments that have helped define our nation's progress, and provides a rare glimpse into the Supreme Court's inner workings: how cases are chosen for hearing; the personal relationships that exist among the Justices; and the customs and traditions, both public and private, that bind one generation of jurists to the next.--From publisher description.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,978,499 books! | Top bar: Always visible