What Happens in Scotland by Jennifer…

What Happens in Scotland (edition 2013)

by Jennifer McQuiston

Member:Cats57
Title:What Happens in Scotland
Authors:Jennifer McQuiston
Info:Avon (2013), Mass Market Paperback, 384 pages
Collections:
Rating:**1/2

What Happens in Scotland by Jennifer McQuiston

Very fun book. Georgette has been a widow for two years. Her marriage was an unhappy one and she has no intention of marrying again. She plans to enjoy her freedom and has come to Scotland to visit her cousin. Unfortunately, he is trying to coerce her into marrying him and she runs from him. The next morning she wakes up naked, in bed with a man she doesn't know, with a ring on her finger and no idea how she got there. Horrified, she runs away before getting the man's name. Then she realizes that she needs to find out who he is so they can annul the marriage. In the first part of the book she and her new prostitute turned lady's maid, try to track him down. At first Georgette fears she married some crazy rake, but as the day goes on learns more about him, discovering that he's a local solicitor and son of an earl. This makes her feel a little better, until she finds him and discovers he thinks she's a thief.

Meanwhile, James had been having dinner at the tavern when Georgette appeared, obviously drunk, and in need of assistance to escape a forced marriage. He had been doing some drinking himself and now has only vague memories of the night before, especially after she hit him in the head with a chamber pot. He does know that his money is missing and can only assume that she took it. As he tries to find her he is also trying desperately to remember what happened the night before. What he does remember doesn't agree with his belief that she's a thief, but he needs to find her. He does have a few pleasant memories and when he finds her at his office he has to decide what he believes.

Once the two meet up things really start to heat up. There is a definite attraction between them, but neither is sure they want the marriage to continue. The fun is seeing them fight the feelings that are growing fast. Georgette has some self esteem issues thanks to the emotional abuse from her late husband. She doesn't believe that James would ever really want to stay married to her. James is estranged from his family, especially his father, because of some things that happened ten years earlier. He certainly doesn't think he deserves to have someone like her in his life. Georgette has two sides to her personality - the prim widow acting under the influence of her late husband, and the passionate woman that came out when she was intoxicated. Never knowing which one was going to show up at any given moment keeps James intrigued and amused.

I loved the way that James and Georgette uncovered the mystery of what had happened the night before. Each thing they learned sent them on a quest for the next bit of information, meeting up with many different people. Each character brought something different to the story, exposing either a clue or a facet of the hero's/heroine's personality. There were so many fun moments, from the moment of waking, to Georgette's instructions to her "maid" and James's frequent injuries, to her refusal to stay and be protected, that I couldn't put the book down. I'm looking forward to reading the other two stories in the series. ( )
  scoutmomskf | Feb 28, 2014 |
What a delightful story. If you want to read a story that you can’t possible know how the story will end or anticipate how it is woven together, this is a great read for you. From the first sentence I was hooked. Jennifer McQuiston’s wit and descriptive writing kept me laughing and shaking my head throughout her story. Both hero and heroine were lovable as they were, faults and all. I virtually didn’t want to put the book down. I am eagerly looking forward to reading her second book. ( )
  EileenLina | Sep 29, 2013 |
I really enjoy this story full of suspense. We are as confused as the protagonists at first. But then it becomes funnier and funnier. A page-turner. ( )
  macaron91 | Jul 19, 2013 |
Read from April 29 to May 05, 2013

Read for BookClub (Kindle)(DFWTea/The Cover Girls)
Overall Rating: 3.50
Story Rating: 3.00
Character Rating: 4.00

First Thought When Finished: That was a laugh out loud romp that was super cute. The "love" was a little rushed for my taste but the characters were fantastic!

Story Thoughts: The humor of What Happens in Scotland kept me in stitches during the hijinks that were done by Lady Georgette Thorold. The story takes place over a 24 hour period which is a very short time. I am going to admit that this is probably what kept me from loving it. I am not a fan of insta-love but with humor that was done excellently, it was easy to forget the short time frame at times. My suggestion, just get lost in the hijinks and try to ignore the timeline.

Character Thoughts: I think Jennifer McQuiston has written the most awesome kick butt characters from leads to sides! Georgette and James were both strong, fun, and full of gumption characters. However, it was the side characters of the used to be prostitute ladies maid, the butcher who refuses to serve horse meat and likes to give kittens as thank yous, and the rakishly handsome former best friend sheriff that really stole the show. I was in stitches as this unusual group of characters managed to find out what happened on the night where "memories" were a little fuzzy!

Final Thoughts: I love Jennifer McQuiston's humor and character development. I think the 2nd book in the series will be a hoot! ( )
  thehistorychic | May 6, 2013 |
I am a First Reads lucky winner! Waiting for the book to arrive so I can read and review it.

4/4/2013 I agree with Jennifer, this book may not be perfect but it was a lot of fun to read and is great for a debut novel.

The book starts out with a bang when a normally prim & proper widow wakes up in bed with a handsome black sheep second son, beans him with the chamber pot, and makes her escape. Georgette is on the run but the pace lapses to a walk for a couple of chapters while Georgette tries to figure out where she is running to. The pace gets back on the fast track when Georgette and James get back together.

By not perfect I mean that there may have been a few lapses in historical accuracy. Since this isn't so much "historic fiction" as it is "romantic humor" I'm not going to spend all my time fact-checking but I suspect that the expression "Tell it like it is" was not on everyone's lips in the 19th century.

The story is funny and feel-good. The writing is smooth and the dialog is comfortable. There were only one or two "dinna"s to remind us that we were in Scotland but not so we had to puzzle over what the characters were saying. The characters are (mostly) likable and the author introduced us to one or two single guys I would look forward to seeing in a series. ( )
  R0BIN | Apr 27, 2013 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0062231294, Mass Market Paperback)

She Woke Up Married

When Lady Georgette Thorold awoke she saw . . . her corset hanging from the armoire . . . a very handsome, very naked Scotsman lying beside her . . . and a wedding ring on her finger!

Before the attractive stranger can tell her his name, Georgette does the only sensible thing—she runs for it.

Little does she know, James MacKenzie isn't clear on what happened the night before either. All he knows is that his money is missing and the stunning woman who just ran from the room is either his wife or a thief . . . or possibly both.

What happens in Scotland when two complete strangers fall madly, deeply in love?

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:32:19 -0400)

When she wakes up next to a naked Scotsman with a ring on her finger and no recollection of what happened, Lady Georgette Thorold makes a run for it with Highland warrior James MacKenzie fast on her trail.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,048,230 books! | Top bar: Always visible