The computer connection by Alfred Bester

The computer connection (edition 1975)

by Alfred Bester

Member:RandyStafford
Title:The computer connection
Authors:Alfred Bester
Info:New York : Berkley Pub. Corp. : distributed by Putnam, [1975]
Rating:***
Tags:science fiction

The Computer Connection by Alfred Bester

An awful bomb exploding in my brain...make it stop...make it stop! So I did just that. I took it to the used book store as a trade in. They didn't want it either.

Garrison0550 | May 5, 2016 |
Bizarre, wacky story that enthralls despite its absurdity. A group of immortals fights to rid itself of a threat from within that has joined with a monstrous supercomputer to threaten most of the world (and their livelihood). The narrator and the characterizations of a few of his cohorts shine through in this jumbled adventure. Given the era, I suppose one must forgive some language/charactization that might be construed as homophobic. ( )
  dbsovereign | Jan 26, 2016 |
I am happy to see that quite a few reviewers here liked this. I wanted to like it too, but in the end I can't quite bring myself to say that I did. There are brief hints of the bravura storytelling that made The Demolished Man and The Stars My Destination so memorable (but of course what was groundbreaking in the 1950s might be pretty ho-hum by 1975). In any case the storytelling can do little for characters whose uniqueness can't hide their superficiality and a plot that feels utterly random (most particularly the motivations of the bad "guy"). Oh well... ( )
  clong | Jan 24, 2015 |
I've read this book a few times. One of my top favorites. If you are into science fiction this a must must have. It's a page turner. ( )
  crdf | Sep 15, 2013 |
Although somewhat dated now, this is still a very good Alfred Bester novel, which means it is a very good story. ( )
  nmele | Apr 6, 2013 |
To the Three "B's"
I tore down the Continental Shelf off the Bogue Bank while the pogo made periscope hops trying to track me.

Alfred Bester's first science fiction novel since The Stars My Destination was a major event-a fast-moving adventure story set in Earth's future. A band of immortal-as charming a bunch of eccentrics as you'll ever come across-recruit a new member, the brilliant Cherokee physicist Sequoya Guess. Dr. Guess, with group's help, gain control of Extro, the supercomputer that controls all mechanical activity on Earth. They plan to rid Earth of political repression and to further Guess's researches-which may lead to a great leap in human evolution to produce a race of supermen. But Extro takes over Guess instead and turns malevolent. The task of the merry band suddenly becomes a fight in deadly earnest for the future of Earth. .

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:21:35 -0400)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,831,697 books! | Top bar: Always visible