Annabel: A Delirium Short Story (0.5) by…

Annabel: A Delirium Short Story (0.5) (edition 2012)

by Lauren Oliver

11320104,954 (3.69)2
Member:Melissa19128
Title:Annabel: A Delirium Short Story (0.5)
Authors:Lauren Oliver
Info:HarperCollins (2012), Kindle Edition
Rating:***
Tags:Post Apolcalyptic, Dystopian, Short Story, Delirium Series

Annabel by Lauren Oliver

I like to read things in chronological rather than publication order, so I'm likely reading this series in a different order than most of the fans of the series have read it. This is the first book I've read, so I don't know anything about the world that Oliver has created...because of that I was a little lost as to what was going on. Since this book was obviously published after the first book, perhaps if I'd read it in that order I'd know more what was happening. I wish that the author had considered people who might read the series in this order and perhaps included a little more detail into the dystopian world she's created. That aside, I did like this short novella telling about what I've gathered is going to be the main character's mother and what happened to her. It did seem a bit of a cliffhanger, but I assume we will learn what happened next in the reading of the rest of the series. ( )
  MynTop | Apr 8, 2016 |
First of all, I read this book before I read Requiem, meaning I did not have to wait before I was able to read the last book of the series.

This book was short but sweet but after I've read Requiem I realized there were so may things she (Lauren Oliver) touched upon in Annabel but made me have even more questions.

For one. Beware Spoiler!!

We learn that she ends up with the man she fancied. The man who she met only for a few seconds. In Requiem we discovered this man was cured.
I would have loved to learn more about their relationship. What happened. How does it go when one of the couple is not cured and the other is.

Lena's mum has been a source through all the books and I really wanted to know more. I do not understand why we got the story about the stolen purse which made me curious and then nothing at all.

I still enjoyed it so 3 stars for me.
  Marlene-NL | Mar 12, 2016 |
Annabel is the story of Lena's mother and it really gives readers of the series a little bit of insight to her. It starts years before Lena was born and shares Annabel's experience with the cure and her time in the crypts. Annabel grew up as society was changing and she rebelled against it, eventually meeting the man who would become the love of her life, even if he would never be able to love her. It was interesting to get to know Annabel as more than a distant figure in Lena's life, although I wish it had been a bit longer so we could have learned more about her time following her escape from the crypts.

My Recommendation: While you can definitely read the trilogy withou this, I think it offers some depth and understanding that makes the overall story even better. ( )
  Kiki870 | Jan 5, 2015 |
I really enjoyed this, I have just recently discovered the Delirium series and this was def. a good start

Full review at
http://kindreddreamheart.blogspot.com/2014/03/review-annabel-delirium-05-by-laur... ( )
  Courtney_Chance | Jun 19, 2014 |

Full review at
  Courtney_Chance | Jun 19, 2014 |
When I was a girl, it snowed for a whole summer.

Lena Halloway's mother, Annabel, supposedly committed suicide when Lena was only six years old. That's the lie that Lena grew up believing, but the truth is very different. As a rebellious teenager, Annabel ran away from home and straight into the man she knew she was destined to marry. The world was different then—the regulations not as stringent, the cure only a decade old. Fast forward to the present, and Annabel is consigned to a dirty prison cell, where she nurtures her hope of escape and scratches one word over and over into the walls: Love.

But Annabel, like Lena, is a fighter. Through chapters that alternate between her past and present, Annabel reveals the story behind her failed cures, her marriage, the births of her children, her imprisonment, and, ultimately, her daring escape.

This collection of short stories set in the Delirium world centers around Hana Tate, Lena's mother Annabel and the fierce rebel leader of the Wilds Raven. Each story was published originally as a digital novella. This collection also includes an excerpt from Requiem, the final novel in Oliver's New York Times bestselling series.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,255,136 books! | Top bar: Always visible