Scaredy Squirrel by Melanie Watt

Scaredy Squirrel (edition 2008)

by Melanie Watt, Melanie Watt (Illustrator)

Member:pjhugs
Title:Scaredy Squirrel
Authors:Melanie Watt
Other authors:Melanie Watt (Illustrator)
Info:Kids Can Press, Ltd. (2008), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 42 pages
Collections:Your library, Read
Rating:*****

Scaredy Squirrel by Mélanie Watt

Summary: the story of Scaredy Squirrel who is too scared to even venture from his tree that is home. Every day squirrel does the exact same thing because he is too scared to go out into the unknown and face any potential dangers. One day, however, Squirrel gets scared by a killer bee and falls from the tree. Much to his surprise, he discovers he can glide. The whole time he was home he never knew he had such an amazing ability.

Personal reflection: I really liked this book because it shows one of the most important lessons about life of all time, it is important to push the envelope and try new things because they could be fun and you could be good at doing something you never even knew you were capable of.

Class use: Read aloud and discuss why it is important to try new things. To use as an introduction into a big or scary concept for students. I would also use this book in a text set on overcoming fear.
  MelissaKlatt | Apr 28, 2015 |
Ok, it's not as hilarious as the [b:Chester|1703186|Chester (Chester)|Mélanie Watt|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1255810749s/1703186.jpg|1700253] books. But I think it was written specifically for me. The moral of the fable is "if you take a flying leap into the unknown once in a while, you may learn something new about yourself" (*Horn Book* review). I need to regain that kind of courage, and this story may help me. It's definitely helping me cope with the feeling of fretfulness due to hormonal fluctuations during perimenopause. ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Apr 14, 2015 |
I gave this book 4 stars. I read this to my 2nd grade class the first week of school. They just loved it. We talked about how the squirrel was scared of the unknown. Then we talked about how things are always scary until they are not. Great book! Kids really love it. ( )
  ramfam5 | Mar 15, 2015 |
I purchased these books for my son when he was 6. He was afraid of everything! He was most afraid of anything new, that he had never tried before. While there are positives to wanting to observe and analyze particular situations, he was so worried all the time. We both really connected with the adorable character Scaredy Squirrel. This is a light-hearted story that illustrates the world of the "Nervous Nellies" and opens the door for discussion between child and adult. These stories are fun to listen to, and fun to read! I also love the design and layout of the text and pictures. ( )
  HeidiJones | Mar 15, 2015 |
This book is so cute! It starts out describing Scaredy Squirrel and his plan for if anything goes wrong. He has an emergency kit and never leaves his nut tree. One day, he is forced to leave his tree and discovers that he can fly, and that they world outside his tree is not scary anymore. He overcomes his fear and ventures out of his tree much more often. This book encourages children to be courageous and try new things. I like this book because as a child, I was often scared to try new things, but this book shows that new things are not always bad. The illustrations are comical and help young readers know what the book is talking about when it discusses words like "emergency kit." ( )
  ehayne1 | Mar 2, 2015 |

Meet Scaredy Squirrel, a squirrel who never leaves his nut tree because he's afraid of the unknown "out there." But then, something unexpected happens that may just change his outlook.

128 wanted2 pay1 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,298,940 books! | Top bar: Always visible