Scaredy Squirrel by Melanie Watt

Scaredy Squirrel (edition 2008)

by Melanie Watt, Melanie Watt (Illustrator)

Member:pjhugs
Title:Scaredy Squirrel
Authors:Melanie Watt
Other authors:Melanie Watt (Illustrator)
Info:Kids Can Press, Ltd. (2008), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 42 pages
Collections:Your library, Read
Rating:*****

Scaredy Squirrel by Mélanie Watt

I gave this book 4 stars. I read this to my 2nd grade class the first week of school. They just loved it. We talked about how the squirrel was scared of the unknown. Then we talked about how things are always scary until they are not. Great book! Kids really love it. ( )
  ramfam5 | Mar 15, 2015 |
I purchased these books for my son when he was 6. He was afraid of everything! He was most afraid of anything new, that he had never tried before. While there are positives to wanting to observe and analyze particular situations, he was so worried all the time. We both really connected with the adorable character Scaredy Squirrel. This is a light-hearted story that illustrates the world of the "Nervous Nellies" and opens the door for discussion between child and adult. These stories are fun to listen to, and fun to read! I also love the design and layout of the text and pictures. ( )
  HeidiJones | Mar 15, 2015 |
This book is so cute! It starts out describing Scaredy Squirrel and his plan for if anything goes wrong. He has an emergency kit and never leaves his nut tree. One day, he is forced to leave his tree and discovers that he can fly, and that they world outside his tree is not scary anymore. He overcomes his fear and ventures out of his tree much more often. This book encourages children to be courageous and try new things. I like this book because as a child, I was often scared to try new things, but this book shows that new things are not always bad. The illustrations are comical and help young readers know what the book is talking about when it discusses words like "emergency kit." ( )
  ehayne1 | Mar 2, 2015 |
Scaredy Squirrel is about a squirrel who is too afraid to change his daily routine because he has many fears. But one day he drops his safety kit and accidetnly jumps after it, only to realize that he is a flying squirrel and its okay to do things he has not done before. The illustrations in the book are cute and match the story well. It shows kids that its okay to go outside the dotted line sometimes to discover who they really are. A must read! ( )
  BriannaMaeee | Feb 24, 2015 |
In my opinion this is a wonderful book to read to young children. The main character in the story begins by telling us all of his fears and how he avoids them, but throughout the story he eventually has to face his fears and he then realizes that they aren't so scary after all. Therefore, this main character is very well-developed since we watch as he goes from a "Scaredy Squirrel" to a quite brave squirrel! The illustrations helped to show the reader how frightened the squirrel initially was. On the first page before the story had even started, there was a "warning" urging readers to wash their hands before continuing. Germs were one of the Scared Squirrels fears. This helped to show the read how truly scared he was. As the plot develops throughout the story, we see the squirrel fall out of his safe tree and then realize that none of his fears were happening, like he predicted. This well organized and sequential story line takes the reader along a journey as a squirrel slowly overcomes his fears, all by himself. The conflict of the squirrel falling out of the tree is what the squirrel always feared, but his fears were proven to be irrational when he was on the ground, no longer in the tree, and still alive and healthy. The big idea represented in this story is that it is okay to have fears, but we should not limit our lives because of them. ( )
  kwhite18 | Feb 23, 2015 |

Meet Scaredy Squirrel, a squirrel who never leaves his nut tree because he's afraid of the unknown "out there." But then, something unexpected happens that may just change his outlook.

128 wanted2 pay1 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,184,902 books! | Top bar: Always visible