Scaredy Squirrel by Melanie Watt

Scaredy Squirrel (edition 2008)

by Melanie Watt, Melanie Watt (Illustrator)

Title:Scaredy Squirrel
Authors:Melanie Watt
Other authors:Melanie Watt (Illustrator)
Info:Kids Can Press, Ltd. (2008), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 42 pages
Collections:Your library, Read

Scaredy Squirrel by Mélanie Watt

To view an annotated bibliography of this title written for EDLI200, expand the spoiler entry below:

Picture Book
Audio Book
Easy Reader

Estimated age level of interest:
Lower Grades

Estimated reading level:
Grade 3-4 (in print format, but accessible to younger readers as a Tumblebook)

Brief description:
Scared Squirrel enjoys living in his nut tree, surrounded by all of the familiar comforts he has grown to love. He fears the unknown world beyond the safety of his tree and imagines the terrible dangers that may await him should he ever leave. But one day, when he accidentally falls from his tree, Scaredy Squirrel discovers what the unknown world is really like.

At least 2 characteristics of this genre and subgenre and how they appear in this book:
Digital books are a bold new horizon for librarians and their students to explore, and they present new criteria to be considered. One characteristic of a good digital book is that the format and presentation somehow expand or enhance the reading experience in a way that would not be possible with a traditional, printed text. “Scaredy Squirrel” as a digital Tumblebook takes full advantage of the possibilities afforded by technology. The original illustrations found in the print version are adapted simple, playful animations. The text is highlighted as it is read so that young readers can follow along and expand their vocabularies as they learn to recognize new words. And the recorded audio narration provides younger emergent readers with an opportunity to enjoy reading even at times when an adult may not be immediately available to assist them.

This book is also a great easy reader for young children and illustrates many characteristics one should look for in selecting books for early and emergent readers. The sentences are short and use a simple structure. The story follows familiar, repeated patterns. The pictures support and clarify the written story. Text is in a large font face and does not contain many large or difficult words that young readers might not be familiar with.

In what ways and how well does the book as a whole serve its intended audience?
The playful story, careful word choices, simple sentence structures, whimsical illustrations, and enhanced Tumblebook format all combine to make this a great book for young readers. It is fun and accessible, so it encourages them not only to read, but to do so independently. It also engages them in creative and imaginative thinking as they follow along with Scaredy Squirrels silly adventures. And, speaking of his adventures, the story itself delivers a message that I think is very valuable to young children who are experiencing many new things for the first time. Scaredy Squirrel avoids trying new things. He won’t leave his familiar nut tree because he is worried about what he might encounter in the unknown world beyond. But, when he unexpectedly finds himself out in the great big world, he discovers that his fears were completely unwarranted and that there is actually a lot to enjoy that he was missing out on. Children can sometimes be timid or hesitant to try new things, even with encouragement from those they trust, so stories like this can provide them with some extra motivation to take a chance and reassurance that change can be a good thing.

Awards, if any:
ALA Notable Children's Books 2007
Marilyn Baillie Picture Book Award
Shining Willow Award/Nominee
Amelia Frances Howard Gibbon Medal/Nominee
Blue Spruce Award
Junior Library Guild Selection
IRA-CBC Children’s Choice 2007

Links to published, professional reviews, if any:
Editorial reviews available through…

Titlewave: http://www.titlewave.com/search?SID=850b167e010758c576cd4aaa33596706

Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1554530237?ie=UTF8&isInIframe=1&n=28315...

Barnes & Noble: http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/scaredy-squirrel-m-lanie-watt/1101997773?ean=978...

nphill85 | Oct 12, 2015 |
I enjoyed this book for a few different reasons. I liked it because it was entertaining, there was a story line to it while also teaching kids how to try and experience new things and venture out. The drawings were very cute and matched the words on each page. It was an easy read and easy to understand using appropriate language. It was very organized and flowed well. I think this book is great to read to kids because it will certainly maintain their interest because of the lively illustrations and its silliness.
  jcooke7 | Oct 5, 2015 |
Summary: the story of Scaredy Squirrel who is too scared to even venture from his tree that is home. Every day squirrel does the exact same thing because he is too scared to go out into the unknown and face any potential dangers. One day, however, Squirrel gets scared by a killer bee and falls from the tree. Much to his surprise, he discovers he can glide. The whole time he was home he never knew he had such an amazing ability.

Personal reflection: I really liked this book because it shows one of the most important lessons about life of all time, it is important to push the envelope and try new things because they could be fun and you could be good at doing something you never even knew you were capable of.

Class use: Read aloud and discuss why it is important to try new things. To use as an introduction into a big or scary concept for students. I would also use this book in a text set on overcoming fear.
  MelissaKlatt | Apr 28, 2015 |
Ok, it's not as hilarious as the [b:Chester|1703186|Chester (Chester)|Mélanie Watt|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1255810749s/1703186.jpg|1700253] books. But I think it was written specifically for me. The moral of the fable is "if you take a flying leap into the unknown once in a while, you may learn something new about yourself" (*Horn Book* review). I need to regain that kind of courage, and this story may help me. It's definitely helping me cope with the feeling of fretfulness due to hormonal fluctuations during perimenopause. ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Apr 14, 2015 |
I gave this book 4 stars. I read this to my 2nd grade class the first week of school. They just loved it. We talked about how the squirrel was scared of the unknown. Then we talked about how things are always scary until they are not. Great book! Kids really love it. ( )
  ramfam5 | Mar 15, 2015 |

Meet Scaredy Squirrel, a squirrel who never leaves his nut tree because he's afraid of the unknown "out there." But then, something unexpected happens that may just change his outlook.

96 wanted2 pay1 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,883,603 books! | Top bar: Always visible