Scaredy Squirrel by Melanie Watt

Scaredy Squirrel (edition 2008)

by Melanie Watt, Melanie Watt (Illustrator)

Member:pjhugs
Title:Scaredy Squirrel
Authors:Melanie Watt
Other authors:Melanie Watt (Illustrator)
Info:Kids Can Press, Ltd. (2008), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 42 pages
Collections:Your library, Read
Rating:*****

Scaredy Squirrel by Mélanie Watt

Scaredy Squirrel is about a squirrel who is too afraid to change his daily routine because he has many fears. But one day he drops his safety kit and accidetnly jumps after it, only to realize that he is a flying squirrel and its okay to do things he has not done before. The illustrations in the book are cute and match the story well. It shows kids that its okay to go outside the dotted line sometimes to discover who they really are. A must read! ( )
  BriannaMaeee | Feb 24, 2015 |
In my opinion this is a wonderful book to read to young children. The main character in the story begins by telling us all of his fears and how he avoids them, but throughout the story he eventually has to face his fears and he then realizes that they aren't so scary after all. Therefore, this main character is very well-developed since we watch as he goes from a "Scaredy Squirrel" to a quite brave squirrel! The illustrations helped to show the reader how frightened the squirrel initially was. On the first page before the story had even started, there was a "warning" urging readers to wash their hands before continuing. Germs were one of the Scared Squirrels fears. This helped to show the read how truly scared he was. As the plot develops throughout the story, we see the squirrel fall out of his safe tree and then realize that none of his fears were happening, like he predicted. This well organized and sequential story line takes the reader along a journey as a squirrel slowly overcomes his fears, all by himself. The conflict of the squirrel falling out of the tree is what the squirrel always feared, but his fears were proven to be irrational when he was on the ground, no longer in the tree, and still alive and healthy. The big idea represented in this story is that it is okay to have fears, but we should not limit our lives because of them. ( )
  kwhite18 | Feb 23, 2015 |
In my opinion this was a great book to read to young children. This book represents a squirrel who is afraid of the unknown because they don't know what is out there. I think this book teaches students a great lesson about stepping out of their comfort zones in order to find out what else there is out there in our world. I thought that the illustrations were very detailed and funny which would keep the readers interesting throughout the story. I also really liked the font that the author used because it wasn't typical, it was fun. I would recommend teachers to read this to young readers around 2nd grade to show them it is alright to be themselves and step out of their comfort zone to explore new things that are around them. ( )
  jherrm1 | Feb 15, 2015 |
I LOVE the character Scaredy Squirrel! He is afraid of everything, even if it is unrealistic, which kids can easily relate to. I am planning on using this book next year in the first week of school when we are all feeling a little unsure about how things may go.
  dkemp | Jan 31, 2015 |
I liked this book a lot. It featured a Squirrel with a number of various anxieties and fears, many of which children would be, and I was personally able to identify with. His fears are often more exaggerated than mine, and that typical people's are, but they have a legitimate connection to peoples lives; including my own. Scaredy Squirrel would rather stay in his tree all day every day, and avoid taking any risks. I agree that taking a risk can be scary, but sometimes it is necessary, and often it doesn't turn out as badly as one might think. Scaredy believed that he absolutely needed an emergency kit to respond to situations and be able to take care of himself. When it accidentally fell out of the tree, he dove after it without thinking. He immediately regretted his decision; up until he discoved that he was a flying squirrel and was able to safely glide around. Another reason I liked this book was because of its relatively unique style; The author tells the story largely though a series of "goofy" diagrams, which are easy to follow and understand, but not necessarily in the typical fashion of most books. The main message of this story is that fear should not dictate your life, and that even things that you "know" will be bad aren't destined to turn out as bad as you think, and they frequently don't.

Reading Level Grades K-3 ( )
  AdamLarson | Dec 9, 2014 |

Meet Scaredy Squirrel, a squirrel who never leaves his nut tree because he's afraid of the unknown "out there." But then, something unexpected happens that may just change his outlook.

128 wanted2 pay1 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 95,718,222 books! | Top bar: Always visible