Scaredy Squirrel by Melanie Watt

Scaredy Squirrel (edition 2008)

by Melanie Watt, Melanie Watt (Illustrator)

Member:pjhugs
Title:Scaredy Squirrel
Authors:Melanie Watt
Other authors:Melanie Watt (Illustrator)
Info:Kids Can Press, Ltd. (2008), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 42 pages
Collections:Your library, Read
Rating:*****

Scaredy Squirrel by Mélanie Watt

I liked this book a lot. It featured a Squirrel with a number of various anxieties and fears, many of which children would be, and I was personally able to identify with. His fears are often more exaggerated than mine, and that typical people's are, but they have a legitimate connection to peoples lives; including my own. Scaredy Squirrel would rather stay in his tree all day every day, and avoid taking any risks. I agree that taking a risk can be scary, but sometimes it is necessary, and often it doesn't turn out as badly as one might think. Scaredy believed that he absolutely needed an emergency kit to respond to situations and be able to take care of himself. When it accidentally fell out of the tree, he dove after it without thinking. He immediately regretted his decision; up until he discoved that he was a flying squirrel and was able to safely glide around. Another reason I liked this book was because of its relatively unique style; The author tells the story largely though a series of "goofy" diagrams, which are easy to follow and understand, but not necessarily in the typical fashion of most books. The main message of this story is that fear should not dictate your life, and that even things that you "know" will be bad aren't destined to turn out as bad as you think, and they frequently don't.

Reading Level Grades K-3 ( )
  AdamLarson | Dec 9, 2014 |
Adorable, and fun to learn how not to be afraid of outside. It is organized, adventurous,a fun! ( )
  MissLoni | Dec 8, 2014 |
I knew from the moment I saw the warning to wash your hands with antibacterial soap, that this was going to be a cute book! Scaredy Squirrel is afraid of leaving his home in the tree until one day he finds he is a flying squirrel! He is then able to begin to venture out into the world. It's a cute lesson for kiddos that even if a situation is scary, they can be brave like this little squirrel.
  InstantLaila | Dec 7, 2014 |
This book is very different from many others that I have read thus far. It includes many different illustrations such as an escape and safety plan and a chart that shows what scaredy squirrely does through at the day at specific hours. These illustrations keep the reader engaged through out the entire book, even from the beginning of the book. This book is different because it starts with a summary of what is going to happen through out the book and it ends with a comparison to the author.
I think that this author used this book to express how she follows a set routine everyday and very rarely changes that routine. She does not like change and likes to feel secure in her safety. This book may relate to some children who are afraid of leaving their comfort zone, whether it may be home or just a feeling. They can use this book to reflect on how change may not always be a bad thing.
This book can be used to teach lessons on setting a routine or coming up with ways to overcome a fear. A great lesson to also be learned from this book is that when you try something new, you may excel past your expectations. The illustrations in this book are very colorful, exciting and humorous. I enjoyed reading this book.
  lfasce1 | Oct 21, 2014 |
I did and did not like this book for two reasons. One reason I liked this book was for the way it was written. I really liked how it was not written like a typical story. There were charts and diagrams that went a long with the story that described his daily life. I also liked how there were captions pointing to the picture that further explained parts of the story. I thought that this made the book fun to read. One reason I did not like this book was because of the plot. I didn't really understand the events of the story. I thought that the story was very short and it could have had more. Overall, I think that the message of this story is to be brave and do things that you may be afraid to do otherwise. ( )
  akwon3 | Oct 15, 2014 |

Meet Scaredy Squirrel, a squirrel who never leaves his nut tree because he's afraid of the unknown "out there." But then, something unexpected happens that may just change his outlook.

128 wanted2 pay1 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,484,813 books! | Top bar: Always visible