The Tragedy Paper by Elizabeth LaBan

The Tragedy Paper

by Elizabeth LaBan

Looking for Alaska by John Green (amysisson)
    amysisson: "Looking for Alaska" explores tragedy much as "The Tragedy Paper" does, but doesn't spend so much time discussing it explicitly -- which in my mind makes it even more effective. The two books have the boarding school theme in common, as well as a special, unique young woman who has captured the protagonist's heart.… (more)

Narrated by Nick Chamian and Jesse Bernstein. The narrators' voices didn't quite reflect the characters in the way I expected, but other than that, the unspooling of Tim's story kept me in suspense. I was a little disappointed that there wasn't an actual tragedy paper as written by Duncan, but I guess that would be repeating the whole story! ( )
  Salsabrarian | Feb 2, 2016 |
"The Tragedy Paper" which was part romance, part mystery, turned out to be a really gripping read. A story within a story, it was told from two boys points of view - Duncan, the present day and Tim twelve months earlier. I found Tim's story the more engrossing of the two, although I thought his voice was a bit stilted for a teenage boy. He narrated his story on CDs for Duncan to listen to as his 'treasure' when he moved into his new room at the expensive boarding school, Irving. Duncan's story wasn't as well developed as Tim's but I shared his obsession to finish listening Tim's CDs.

Tragedy hangs over the book, but I felt that the tragedy that actually occurred wasn't tragic enough after the build-up. Although Duncan already knows the tragedy, the reader doesn't which created a feeling of suspense, but when it was actually revealed I felt disappointed.

"The Tragedy Paper" was a quiet, beautifully written novel by a debut author and was a more literary YA novel than most, so it may not appeal to teens, but, despite its flaws, I thoroughly enjoyed this book and will look for future offerings by this author. ( )

HeatherLINC | Jan 23, 2016 |
Debut novel about life in a boarding school and the meaning of tragedy. It was something different from the fantasy/dystopian/death stories that dominate teen fiction today and I look forward to reading more by this author. ( )
  olegalCA | Nov 24, 2015 |

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0375870407, Hardcover)

"The Tragedy Paper" Map

The Tragedy Paper Map

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:06:17 -0400)

While preparing for the most dreaded assignment at the prestigious Irving School, the Tragedy Paper, Duncan gets wrapped up in the tragic tale of Tim Macbeth, a former student who had a clandestine relationship with the wrong girl, and his own ill-fated romance with Daisy.… (more)

80 wanted3 pay4 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,274,955 books! | Top bar: Always visible