The Rules for Disappearing (Rules, The) by…

The Rules for Disappearing (Rules, The)

by Ashley Elston

1731968,650 (3.68)2
    Doomed by Tracy Deebs (Anonymous user)
    Anonymous user: the same hollywood style type of action

English (18)  Dutch (1)  All (19)
I was sort of Meh on this read. It was well written and decent just nothing to get me to come back or want to read the next one in the series. The characters were okay and did not stick with me. After reading this I was sort of bored and ready for something new. ( )
  Angel.Carter | Aug 11, 2016 |
I enjoyed The Rules for Disappearing, but that has to be taken with this confession; I LOVE books involving people who have had to go into a Witness Protection program. I think it's because I just can't imagine leaving everything behind, and never making contact with anyone ever again.
Meg has been relocated with the rest of her family; her mom, dad and her sister, six different times, but this time she's decided that she will NOT get involved, join clubs or make friends because each time she leaves it's just too hard to leave everything behind. What she didn't count on was the persistent attention of a very attractive local boy name Ethan Landry. ( )
  JRlibrary | Dec 28, 2015 |
Actual Rating: 3.5 stars

The Rules for Disappearing features teenage Witness Protected "Meg"who is trying to figure out exactly why her family needs protection, while attempting to navigate through the world of high school at her latest location. As the story unfolds we are slowly introduced to life in Witness Protection and how it affects Meg and her family. There is a mystery surrounding the reason behind their placement which causes frustration and tension between Meg, the "suits" (agents), and her parents. They are at their sixth location in less than a year and Meg vows to not get involved with anyone there. However, fellow student Ethan befriends her and soon inches his way into her life.

What I liked most about this book was how it concentrated on much more than just how this situation effected her social life. The multiple uprootings had many negative side effects to everyone in Meg's family and it is portrayed well throughout the novel.The mystery shrouding their relocation is revealed slowly and although the suspense level isn't high, it did keep your interest and make for an entertaining read. ( )
  Kristymk18 | Nov 12, 2015 |
My review of this book is a courtesy to Netgalley.

I've always loved books/movies with stories about the witness protection program. I don't really know why, they just intrigue me. All the needs to change one's identity, getting to start over... new life, new place, that sort of thing.

That's why I really enjoyed TRFD. Although I could feel the numbness spreading as I read fake-name Meg's account of her life, I was still pretty intrigued by the whole process of up and just getting a whole new identity. As if your life before never was. Fascinating, isn't it?

So in general, I should say that this was a light, fast-paced read that, for a while, snuck me into the mind of our heroine, a.k.a. the girl with many names but just two faces. It was a truly captivating story, that held my attention from beginning to end.

I felt so incredibly sorry for Meg and especially for her little sister (who is at this point called Mary). Each move, each change of identity took its toll on them to the point that they could hardly remember who they really were anymore. Mary felt it especially bad, melting more and more on the inside, going deeper and deeper into her shell of depression.

I did NOT like the girls' mother at all. I mean, in this dreadfully difficult situation the family was in, all she could do was get herself drunk into oblivion. Gah, seriously? Is that really the best she could do? I was disgusted with that woman. Instead of trying to help her girls, she drowned in alcohol. Selfish, selfish, selfish!

The father impressed me though. He was trying really hard to keep the family going. It was difficult on him, being the only sane parent, but he did a decent job, so he definitely gets points for that.

Now the guy. Ethan Landry. I kept on thinking about laundry all the time his last name came up. Never mind. So Ethan. He's super nice, super handsome and super curious guy. Of course, he's also the only one to figure out the new girl (Meg) and her mysterious past. No insta-love here, but there was insta-attraction, which is totally not the same thing. Also, good news is that Ethan was actually worth all the praise he got in Meg's mind. He wasn't just some dumb jock that threw smart sarcastic comments. No. There was actually substance in him. I know girls would love him, I sure did!

So, to wrap it up, if you enjoy reading about stunningly good (but also light) mystery, relationships that actually matter and sweet romance, this will definitely keep you satisfied.

Oh, and just let me say that those rules that each chapter begins with are absolute killers. I laughed reading them! ( )
  VanyaDrum | Jan 26, 2014 |
What do you want your name to be this time? We have about thirty minutes.
It's amazing how little people have to say for us to really know them.

High school student "Meg" has changed identities so often that she hardly knows who she is anymore, and her family is falling apart, but she knows that two of the rules of witness protection are be forgettable and do not make friends--but in her new home in Louisiana a boy named Ethan is making that difficult.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,784,150 books! | Top bar: Always visible