The Ice Dragon by George R. R. Martin

The Ice Dragon (1980)

by George R. R. Martin

English (22)  French (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (24)
A few years back, I accidentally came across this book, but have to say I was not impressed. The illustrations didn’t wow me either (Sorry, Yvonne Gilbert). I was left behind disappointed, as I had really looked forward to this bedtime story Old Nan used to tell the Stark children!

The re-release of The Ice Dragon, illustrated by Luis Royo, changed it all. Suddenly I walked into the tale I longed for all this time. Read it. And again. And again. To me, this is the proof how important the illustrations/illustrator can be. They/he took this (rather cute) adventure to another level!
Very wise choice, Ser Martin!

Viva Luis Royo! ( )
  NinaCaramelita | Feb 26, 2015 |
The Ice Dragon tells the story of Adara, a child of winter, her only friend, an dragon made of ice, and a war that would change her life forever

This book is an illustrated chapter book, I'd place in the 10-15 year old age group. It's a touching story and one that will make the reader really think.

I loved the story. It's endearing, and heartfelt. They say ice dragons can't be tamed, but Adara hadn't tamed hers; she'd simply been its friend.

The illustrations are amazing, which isn't surprising since Luis Royo is a god among artists. Each illustration was a perfect companion for the part of the story it depicted.

The story itself is beautifully written, told as mostly narration, which gives it that fairy-tale quality. This is definitely a story to tell on those cold winter nights when it seems there's nothing on the air but cold and dread.

I would recommend this book to anyone who loves fairy-tales, stories told my fire light, and lovers of dragons.

I give this book 5 of 5 paws. ( )
  S.CuAnam_Policar | Jan 31, 2015 |
What a lovely captivating story set in a world we know and love!

Synopsis:

Set long before the events of A Song of Ice and Fire, The Ice Dragon follows the story of Adara, a young girl who is different to everyone else in her family. Born in the middle of winter, Adara is a winter child that does not fear the dragons that fly over her farm. Then one day Adara finds an ice dragon, and each winter they take to the skies. But Westeros is at war, and it is only a matter of time before fire breathing dragons appear in her village, bent on destroying everything in their path.

Review:

Having been a fan of George R. R. Martin’s work for a number of years, I went into reading this with some very high expectations, and it did not disappoint. The Ice Dragon is a beautiful children’s story that is thoughtful, provoking and wonderfully written,

The plot is a fairly simple one, but it’s fantastically executed and filled with lots of subtle elements from the series that so many adore. Adara is great, she’s fearless, staying out longer than any of the other children during the winter months, playing with lizards and approaching the ice dragon all alone. She stands out, sets herself apart from the other children and her brothers and sisters, and while she seems misunderstood by her family, she really is a fantastic character that you instantly empathize with.

This has probably been said in many reviews of The Ice Dragon, but the illustrations are astounding, I found myself getting distracted from the story many times in order to inspect them. They make the whole book feel cold and icy, it really adds to the whole atmosphere of the book.

It’s a sweet enjoyable story about a little girl that sacrifices her desires in order to save her family. It’s intelligent, thought provoking and lavishly illustrated. It may not be entirely for children, - there are some gory head-splitting scenes - but all in all a wonderful little book. I for one hope Martin delves into children’s writing again, if The Ice Dragon is anything to go by, it’s sure to be a wonderful book! ( )
  ColeReadsBooks | Jan 22, 2015 |
A very slight tale, marketed as being in the Game of Thrones 'verse, although it doesn't really seem to be. Meh. ( )
  sloopjonb | Dec 14, 2014 |
This book is a children's book. But it is Martin so I thought I would give it a try. There is certainly Martin's style here; he's not afraid to hide from reality even for children. This story has a happy ending but it's an ending that is tainted by past trauma. People and dragons who were loved died before the happy ending came. I read the edition where the illustrator was Yvonne Gilbert, and the illustrations were good. Probably not the best considering children's books nowadays but it still got the story across in pictures for me. It was a fun book that took about a half hour to read. If you're a hard core Martin fan, then I'd say go ahead and pick the book up. ( )
  Kassilem | Dec 2, 2014 |

Voor Phipps
die op het idee kwam,
met veel liefs
To Phipps
who thought of it first,
with all my love
Adara hield het meest van de winter, want als de wereld koud werd, kwam de ijsdraak.
Adara liked the winter best of all, for when the world grew cold the ice dragon came.

The ice dragon was a creature of legend and fear, for no man had ever tamed one. When it flew overhead, it left in its wake desolate cold and frozen land. But Adara was not afraid. For Adara was a winter child, born during the worst freeze that anyone, even the Old Ones, could remember.
Adara could not remember the first time she had seen the ice dragon. It seemed that it had always been in her life, glimpsed from afar as she played in the frigid snow long after the other children had fled the cold. In her fourth year she touched it, and in her fifth year she rode upon its broad, chilled back for the first time. Then, in her seventh year, on a calm summer day, fiery dragons from the North swooped down upon the peaceful farm that was Adara's home. And only a winter child--and the ice dragon who loved her--could save her world from utter destruction.
The Ice Dragon marks the highly anticipated children's book debut of George R.R. Martin, the award-winning author of the New York Times best-selling series A Song of Ice and Fire and is set in the same world. Illustrated with lush, exquisitely detailed pencil drawings by acclaimed artist Yvonne Gilbert, The Ice Dragon is an unforgettable tale of courage, love, and sacrifice by one of the most honored fantasists of all time.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:53:14 -0400)

Leaving in its wake desolate cold and frozen land, the legendary ice dragon has never been tamed until it meets Adara, a winter child who looks to the creature to help save her world from destruction.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 95,789,637 books! | Top bar: Always visible