The Ice Dragon by George R. R. Martin

The Ice Dragon (1980)

by George R. R. Martin

English (14)  French (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (16)
Great but not quite as great as I wanted it to be. Definitely a good children's book though--and I did enjoy it.

The illustrations are fantastic. ( )
  Ceora | Jun 20, 2014 |
A quick read, but a great story with beautiful illustrations. I love Martin's writing, but this is the only thing I've read of his outside the Song of Ice and Fire universe. The story is focused and interesting, and it makes me want to branch out into other GRRM books. ( )
  davadog13 | Nov 21, 2013 |
OK, I realizet that it was probably written for 8 year-olds, but I really expected a little more. Selfish, selfish me, strangely enough, just like Adara... ( )
  ScoutJ | Aug 7, 2013 |
...I think I am going to have to reread the original version to work out which of the two I like better. Martin reworked into an interesting children's tale however. A story that I think shows some of this strengths as a writer. It is a story that takes readers of any age seriously and that hides a lot of complexity under Adara's limited view of events. Given the different ways in which adults and children can enjoy this story, it strikes me as a book that is very suitable to be read together. I think I wouldn't have minded having this one read to me as a child. Martin is a very versatile writer, the way this story has been adapted reveals another aspect of his skill.

Full Random Comments review ( )
  Valashain | Mar 3, 2012 |
The Ice Dragon is a nice companion story to the standard Song of Ice and Fire world. First published as a short story in a compendium titled Dragons of Light, this 1980′s tale was given a new treatment in the 2006 Tor rerelease.

Featuring illustrations by Yvonne Gilbert, The Ice Dragon is the story of a young girl born in the winter of the cold north. She is emotionless and awkward. Her skin is as cold as her personality. She is very reminiscent of a wight from the core series, but alive and obviously human. She is frequently and secretly visited by an ice dragon, whose breath can freeze and kill in seconds, and who cannot be tamed or touched by humans.. Except for her.

Martin fans should take thirty minutes out to read this. It occurs in the years before the ice and fire series, and there is no mention of the ruling families or even of a wall to the north.. So how far in the past I couldn’t say, but far enough that there are armies of dragon riders in the war.

I would be curious after reading this how the wights fit in, are all of them truly undead or are they (similar to cold hands) something else, perhaps joyless emotionless humans like the girl in this tale.

I digress into theory though. This was excellent. Good for adults or children alike.

xpost RawBlurb.com ( )
  JasonBrownPDX | Jan 4, 2012 |

George R. R. Martinprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Gilbert, YvonneIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Voor Phipps
die op het idee kwam,
met veel liefs
To Phipps
who thought of it first,
with all my love
Adara hield het meest van de winter, want als de wereld koud werd, kwam de ijsdraak.
Adara liked the winter best of all, for when the world grew cold the ice dragon came.

The ice dragon was a creature of legend and fear, for no man had ever tamed one. When it flew overhead, it left in its wake desolate cold and frozen land. But Adara was not afraid. For Adara was a winter child, born during the worst freeze that anyone, even the Old Ones, could remember.
Adara could not remember the first time she had seen the ice dragon. It seemed that it had always been in her life, glimpsed from afar as she played in the frigid snow long after the other children had fled the cold. In her fourth year she touched it, and in her fifth year she rode upon its broad, chilled back for the first time. Then, in her seventh year, on a calm summer day, fiery dragons from the North swooped down upon the peaceful farm that was Adara's home. And only a winter child--and the ice dragon who loved her--could save her world from utter destruction.
The Ice Dragon marks the highly anticipated children's book debut of George R.R. Martin, the award-winning author of the New York Times best-selling series A Song of Ice and Fire and is set in the same world. Illustrated with lush, exquisitely detailed pencil drawings by acclaimed artist Yvonne Gilbert, The Ice Dragon is an unforgettable tale of courage, love, and sacrifice by one of the most honored fantasists of all time.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:53:14 -0400)

Leaving in its wake desolate cold and frozen land, the legendary ice dragon has never been tamed until it meets Adara, a winter child who looks to the creature to help save her world from destruction.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,357,593 books! | Top bar: Always visible