The Ice Dragon by George R. R. Martin

The Ice Dragon (1980)

by George R. R. Martin

Recently added byAGuarino03, SubrosaIlion, InfoQuest, alliegyrl79, Veronica.Sparrow, private library

English (23)  French (1)  Norwegian (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (26)
Beautifully done! There's not much to say about this short story. The illustrations are gorgeous, the story is lightly impactful. I would have devoured this when I was younger. This is a great fast read for adults as well. I read this to break from my "series" binge before I dive into finishing off another and it was perfect for that. Definitely recommend it to children as well as adults who are either fans of George R. R. Martin (because there are definitely pieces of him in here that you may already know and love) or fans of fantasy!

** To See More Visit: The Nerdy Bookmark - A Not-So-Serious Book Review Blog ** ( )
  kay_reads | Nov 17, 2015 |
This is a great read and a great addition to Martin's world of Ice and Fire. The prose is beautifully written and the illustrations in this edition are breathtaking. It's a short novella length and the story is very much about a little girl and her connection with the ice dragon. What's fun also is that since this story was originally written before the Ice and Fire series that we've come to love, you can really tell Martin used this story to help build his world and figure out some of it's working. Also, it makes me wonder if we'll see any ice dragons return to Westeros in his future novels. One can hope! ( )
  blue_fantasy | Aug 5, 2015 |
This was a beautifully written book aimed for children. I honestly think middle grade readers might gravitate more towards it because of the melancholy tint. I didn't know it was set in the world of GoT—a fact that made this book all the more intriguing ( )
  Diamond.Dee. | Jul 3, 2015 |
A few years back, I accidentally came across this book, but have to say I was not impressed. The illustrations didn’t wow me either (Sorry, Yvonne Gilbert). I was left behind disappointed, as I had really looked forward to this bedtime story Old Nan used to tell the Stark children!

The re-release of The Ice Dragon, illustrated by Luis Royo, changed it all. Suddenly I walked into the tale I longed for all this time. Read it. And again. And again. To me, this is the proof how important the illustrations/illustrator can be. They/he took this (rather cute) adventure to another level!
Very wise choice, Ser Martin!

Viva Luis Royo! ( )
  NinaCaramelita | Feb 26, 2015 |
The Ice Dragon tells the story of Adara, a child of winter, her only friend, an dragon made of ice, and a war that would change her life forever

This book is an illustrated chapter book, I'd place in the 10-15 year old age group. It's a touching story and one that will make the reader really think.

I loved the story. It's endearing, and heartfelt. They say ice dragons can't be tamed, but Adara hadn't tamed hers; she'd simply been its friend.

The illustrations are amazing, which isn't surprising since Luis Royo is a god among artists. Each illustration was a perfect companion for the part of the story it depicted.

The story itself is beautifully written, told as mostly narration, which gives it that fairy-tale quality. This is definitely a story to tell on those cold winter nights when it seems there's nothing on the air but cold and dread.

I would recommend this book to anyone who loves fairy-tales, stories told my fire light, and lovers of dragons.

I give this book 5 of 5 paws. ( )
  S.CuAnam_Policar | Jan 31, 2015 |

Voor Phipps
die op het idee kwam,
met veel liefs
To Phipps
who thought of it first,
with all my love
Adara hield het meest van de winter, want als de wereld koud werd, kwam de ijsdraak.
Adara liked the winter best of all, for when the world grew cold the ice dragon came.

The ice dragon was a creature of legend and fear, for no man had ever tamed one. When it flew overhead, it left in its wake desolate cold and frozen land. But Adara was not afraid. For Adara was a winter child, born during the worst freeze that anyone, even the Old Ones, could remember.
Adara could not remember the first time she had seen the ice dragon. It seemed that it had always been in her life, glimpsed from afar as she played in the frigid snow long after the other children had fled the cold. In her fourth year she touched it, and in her fifth year she rode upon its broad, chilled back for the first time. Then, in her seventh year, on a calm summer day, fiery dragons from the North swooped down upon the peaceful farm that was Adara's home. And only a winter child--and the ice dragon who loved her--could save her world from utter destruction.
The Ice Dragon marks the highly anticipated children's book debut of George R.R. Martin, the award-winning author of the New York Times best-selling series A Song of Ice and Fire and is set in the same world. Illustrated with lush, exquisitely detailed pencil drawings by acclaimed artist Yvonne Gilbert, The Ice Dragon is an unforgettable tale of courage, love, and sacrifice by one of the most honored fantasists of all time.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:21 -0400)

Leaving in its wake desolate cold and frozen land, the legendary ice dragon has never been tamed until it meets Adara, a winter child who looks to the creature to help save her world from destruction.

88 wanted7 pay5 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,956,093 books! | Top bar: Always visible