Black Butler, Vol. 15 by Yana Toboso

Black Butler, Vol. 15 (edition 2012)

by Yana Toboso

Member:Kassilem
Title:Black Butler, Vol. 15
Authors:Yana Toboso
Info:Square Enix: G Fantasy Comics (2012), Comic
Collections:Read but unowned
Tags:Gothic Fantasy, Graphic Novel

Black Butler, Volume 15 by Yana Toboso

Ciel has been sent to Weston College to find Derrick Arden, son of Duke Clemens, cousin to the Queen, as well as other mysteriously missing students. He quickly realizes that the only way he'll be able to meet the headmaster is if he becomes the fag of one of the prefects. The best he can do is ingratiate himself with the fag of the fag of one of the prefects, with Sebastian's help, butthings go wrong when one fag, Cole, lies and makes Ciel late to an important gathering. Ciel invites Prince Soma to the college because he'll be in Cole's house, and Ciel is able to use Soma's info to get back at Cole and into the prefects' good graces.This volume's bonus: Black Jockey.

This story arc and my American English clashed a bit – so much horror on my part when I initially misunderstood Ciel's plan, and even once I realized my misunderstanding, I still spent much of the volume flinching.

I do love Ciel when he's like this, sneaky as heck and willing to use whatever tools he has on hand to get his way. He made good use of Sebastian's skills (I adored Sebastian in his “housemaster” getup), and Prince Soma was like an eager puppy (with an elephant!). Soma is a walking stereotype, but he's a good counterpart to Ciel's seriousness.

I had forgotten how absolutely gorgeous Toboso's artwork can be. Clean, pretty, and delightfully easy to follow. After reading a few manga volumes with not-so-great artwork, this made me sigh in relief.

(Original review posted on A Library Girl's Familiar Diversions.) ( )
  Familiar_Diversions | Dec 20, 2015 |
New story line. Graphic example of differences between cultures.
Only long time readers will read. ( )
  TeamDewey | Feb 19, 2014 |
Yes, definitely less action. Instead this is much more on the devious side. This school is no different than any other school; kids deceiving and hurting others to keep what they have or because of jealousy. Ciel is much more center stage in this volume with Sebastian on the sides. Artwork is again, as always, great. And the plot is moving along nicely. Unfortunately this is the last published book so I will have to wait for the next one. The waiting is going to be hard. A highly recommend series if you are a manga fan. ( )
  Kassilem | Dec 16, 2012 |

Yana Tobosoprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Kimura, TomoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

"When students fail to return home from an English boarding school that numbers several elite bloodlines among its student body, Earl Ciel Phantomhive and his indomitable butler, Sebastian, infiltrate the lush grounds and stately halls of this distinguished house of learning at Her Majesty's behest. The butler takes on the role of tutor, his master that of student-- parts to which both are more than just a little accustomed. As their dorm lives of deceit begin, they turn their eyes upon the conspicuous and colourful waistcoats of the four school prefects, from whose attention nothing at the school escapes" -- from publisher's web site.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,256,473 books! | Top bar: Always visible