Black Butler, Vol. 15 by Yana Toboso

Black Butler, Vol. 15 (edition 2012)

by Yana Toboso

Member:Kassilem
Title:Black Butler, Vol. 15
Authors:Yana Toboso
Info:Square Enix: G Fantasy Comics (2012), Comic
Collections:Read but unowned
Tags:Gothic Fantasy, Graphic Novel

Black Butler, Volume 15 by Yana Toboso

This current arc of the story is strange. :/ ( )
  mariahsidhe | May 12, 2016 |
This is the fifteenth volume in the Black Butler series. This continues to be an incredibly engaging and entertaining manga series. Some parts are laugh out loud funny and the mystery is incredibly engaging.

Ciel has enrolled at an English boarding school at the request of her Majesty. Students have been disappearing from the school and Ciel and Sebastian are supposed to figure out what is going on. However, competition between the school’s houses is fierce and Ciel will have to use all his wits (and lots of manual labor from Sebastian) to win enough favor to finally speak to the Headmaster. Sebastian has an incredibly busy go of it as he is not only posing as a teacher, but also spying on students for Ciel, and doing all of Ciel’s chores as well.

This volume reminds a bit of Harry Potter without the magic but with all the house to house competition. It was wonderful fun and incredibly entertaining.

Ciel was a bit of a brat throughout (and a bit hypocritical). However just when I started to get annoyed about how he takes advantage of Sebastian, we are reminded that Ciel is on a mission from the Queen herself and leads a life of much more danger and importance than his rival petty students…

There is a lot of focus on the four prefects of the school, who seem to rule the roost. All of these characters are beautifully drawn and painfully intriguing; especially the prefect of the Violet Wolf house. I really enjoyed the new characters and am enjoying the new story line.

Overall an absolutely wonderful continuation of this series. Toboso continues to do an excellent job of keeping both the plot and the characters fresh and interesting. The illustration remains top notch and is a pleasure to look. This is one of my favorite manga series. I would recommend to those who enjoy paranormal manga as well as mysteries and historical fantasies. ( )
  krau0098 | Feb 19, 2016 |
Ciel has been sent to Weston College to find Derrick Arden, son of Duke Clemens, cousin to the Queen, as well as other mysteriously missing students. He quickly realizes that the only way he'll be able to meet the headmaster is if he becomes the fag of one of the prefects. The best he can do is ingratiate himself with the fag of the fag of one of the prefects, with Sebastian's help, butthings go wrong when one fag, Cole, lies and makes Ciel late to an important gathering. Ciel invites Prince Soma to the college because he'll be in Cole's house, and Ciel is able to use Soma's info to get back at Cole and into the prefects' good graces.This volume's bonus: Black Jockey.

This story arc and my American English clashed a bit – so much horror on my part when I initially misunderstood Ciel's plan, and even once I realized my misunderstanding, I still spent much of the volume flinching.

I do love Ciel when he's like this, sneaky as heck and willing to use whatever tools he has on hand to get his way. He made good use of Sebastian's skills (I adored Sebastian in his “housemaster” getup), and Prince Soma was like an eager puppy (with an elephant!). Soma is a walking stereotype, but he's a good counterpart to Ciel's seriousness.

I had forgotten how absolutely gorgeous Toboso's artwork can be. Clean, pretty, and delightfully easy to follow. After reading a few manga volumes with not-so-great artwork, this made me sigh in relief.

(Original review posted on A Library Girl's Familiar Diversions.) ( )
  Familiar_Diversions | Dec 20, 2015 |
New story line. Graphic example of differences between cultures.
Only long time readers will read. ( )
  TeamDewey | Feb 19, 2014 |
Yes, definitely less action. Instead this is much more on the devious side. This school is no different than any other school; kids deceiving and hurting others to keep what they have or because of jealousy. Ciel is much more center stage in this volume with Sebastian on the sides. Artwork is again, as always, great. And the plot is moving along nicely. Unfortunately this is the last published book so I will have to wait for the next one. The waiting is going to be hard. A highly recommend series if you are a manga fan. ( )
  Kassilem | Dec 16, 2012 |

Yana Tobosoprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Kimura, TomoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

"When students fail to return home from an English boarding school that numbers several elite bloodlines among its student body, Earl Ciel Phantomhive and his indomitable butler, Sebastian, infiltrate the lush grounds and stately halls of this distinguished house of learning at Her Majesty's behest. The butler takes on the role of tutor, his master that of student-- parts to which both are more than just a little accustomed. As their dorm lives of deceit begin, they turn their eyes upon the conspicuous and colourful waistcoats of the four school prefects, from whose attention nothing at the school escapes" -- from publisher's web site.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,854,464 books! | Top bar: Always visible