Black Butler, Vol. 14 by Yana Toboso

Black Butler, Vol. 14 (edition 2012)

by Yana Toboso

Member:Kassilem
Title:Black Butler, Vol. 14
Authors:Yana Toboso
Info:Square Enix: G Fantasy Comics (2012), Comic
Collections:Read but unowned
Tags:Gothic Fantasy, Graphic Novel

Black Butler, Volume 14 by Yana Toboso

Campania arc ends; odd Easter story involving bunny ears and an Easter egg hunt concludes the volume.
  LibraryGirl11 | Mar 30, 2014 |
I had thought that the scenes of Sebastian and Ciel's early days would be over after volume 13, but, happily, that wasn't the case. I loved getting to see more.

Somehow, I had thought that Sebastian had always been an incredibly capable butler, but that turns out not to have been the case. Sure, he could do amazing things, but he didn't always understand humans and he needed to learn how to be less obvious when using his demonic abilities. Seeing both Ciel and Sebastian trying to become perfect in their respective roles was a lot of fun. They seemed to relish punishing each other for making mistakes, but they also clearly enjoyed eventually getting things right.

I admit, I'm still a little confused about what Sebastian and Ciel's true feelings are for each other. Ciel has moments when he can be very vulnerable and in need of what comfort Sebastian is able to give him. At those times, it almost seems like Sebastian cares for him. Then there are times when Ciel acts like a spoiled little jerk, and I get the feeling that Sebastian will be happy when he can finally eat Ciel's soul and be done with him.

The Easter egg hunt was pure fluff – not quite as good as the fluff at the end of volume 8, but still nice. I'm really looking forward to the next arc, with Ciel and Sebastian sneaking into a school for rich young men. Ciel is either going to be bullied big time, with Sebastian coming to save him before things get too bad, or he's going to cultivate a group of minions and rule the school. I hope for the latter but suspect the former is more likely.

One last thing: This volume had me wondering just how indestructible Sebastian really is. The damage from the Undertaker's death scythe gave him some difficulty, more than any other wound ever has, but he still held up awfully well. Is it possible he might be killed at the end of the series, thereby allowing me that scene in which Ciel and Elizabeth get married and take over England? On the one hand, I'd miss Sebastian. On the other hand, just the thought of seeing an adult Ciel and Elizabeth together gives me much joy.

Inside back cover extra: Black Baseball.

(Original review posted on A Library Girl's Familiar Diversions.) ( )
  Familiar_Diversions | Nov 23, 2013 |
Here's the end of one arc and the beginning of another. The Titanic-like arc with moving dead corpses ended well. Sebastian did not disappoint, although that is the most injured I have seen him get. The beginning of the next arc seems like it should be interesting as well, although maybe a little less full of action. Artwork is as always, great. ( )
  Kassilem | Dec 16, 2012 |

"Earl Ciel Phantomhive looks on in horror as Sebastian, his infallible manservant, is struck down by the death scythe of an unforeseen combatant. Devil though he may be, even Sebastian is not immune to the blade of a reaper's scythe. As Sebastian's cinematic record spills forth, the tale of how a devil became a butler to a little lost lord flickers to life in shades of sepia, blood, and ash...."… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,665,251 books! | Top bar: Always visible