Gone Fishing: A Novel in Verse by Tamera…

Gone Fishing: A Novel in Verse

by Tamera Will Wissinger

Other authors: Matthew Cordell (Illustrator)

Recommended Ages: Gr. 2-4

Plot Summary: Sam is so excited to go on a fishing trip with his dad and just his dad. As he goes through his tackle box to prepare for the trip, he notices his special treasures are missing! In their place is a doll. He knows his sister did it and he isn't happy. He's even more upset when she asks to come along and his dad says yes! Sam and his dad wait and wait until finally she's ready. Will Sam catch any fish? Will his sister ruin everything?

Setting:

Characters:
Sam
Lucy
Dad

Recurring Themes: fishing, family

Controversial Issues: none

Personal Thoughts: This super quick, easy to read book was so much fun, even if you're not interested in fishing. It's easy to relate to Sam who is excited about spending one-on-one time with his dad, is annoyed at his sister, and is jealous when his sister catches more fish than him. However, it's nice that he recognized his sister's joy when he caught a fish even though he was sour when she caught hers. Overall I like the variety of poem types. I was introduced to a few new ones I had never heard of before, however it did take time to adjust from one poem style to the next so quickly.

Genre: novel in verse, each chapter told in a different poem style

Pacing:
Characters:
Frame:
Storyline:

Activity:

Favorite poems to read aloud: curse poem, pg 13
show page 14 - concrete poem ( )
  pigeonlover | Jul 23, 2016 |
This book was more like poetry to me than a chapter book, the list I found it on. In the back is the "Poets Tackle Box" which is kind of a glossary for all the types of poetry and elements of. All the poems fit together to tella story of fishing with dad, the boys great desire, but....little sister comes along. I think boy readers would very much enjoy this book. ( )
  Glorydaze | Nov 21, 2015 |
Gone Fishing is three books in one. Not only is it an entertaining and heart-warming sibling tale, it’s a novel in verse. Younger readers have needed one for years, since most novels-in-verse are aimed at teens. To top it all off, teachers will love the “Poet’s Tackle Box” which explains the forms and techniques used in the book. The poetry in Gone Fishing is so well done, it doesn’t get in the way of the story. As I read the beginning to some second and third graders today, they tugged the book from my hands in order to find out what would happen to poor Sam. ( )
  KristinAkerHowell | Aug 15, 2015 |
  KristinAkerHowell | Aug 15, 2015 |
This is a story of a nine-year-old boy’s day of fishing. It is about bonding and a day of fishing that any child would want to have and enjoy. Sam is a little jealous of his little sister at first but soon realizes that she has done him a favor.
  foleysh | Jul 28, 2015 |

Tamera Will Wissingerprimary authorall editionscalculated
Cordell, MatthewIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0547820119, Hardcover)

Nine-year-old Sam loves fishing with his dad. So when his pesky little sister, Lucy, horns in on their fishing trip, he’s none too pleased: “Where’s my stringer? / Something’s wrong! / The princess doll does not belong!” All ends well in this winsome book of poems—each labeled with its proper poetic form, from quatrain to tercet. Together the poems build a dawn-to-dusk story of a father-son bond, of sibling harmony lost and found—and most of all, of delicious anticipation. Charming line drawings animate the poetry with humor and drama, and the extensive Poet’s Tackle Box at the end makes this the perfect primer to hook aspiring poets of all ages.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:42 -0400)

In this novel told through poems, nine-year-old Sam loves fishing with his dad, so when his pesky little sister horns in on their fishing trip, he is none too pleased. Includes primer on rhyme, poetry techniques, rhythm, stanzas, and poetic forms.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,649,961 books! | Top bar: Always visible