The Universe Within: Discovering the Common…

by Neil Shubin

Member:davesmind
Title:The Universe Within: Discovering the Common History of Rocks, Planets, and People
Authors:Neil Shubin
Info:Pantheon (2013), Hardcover, 240 pages
Rating:***1/2
Tags:paleontology, geology, read in 2013

The Universe Within: Discovering the Common History of Rocks, Planets, and People by Neil Shubin

Long time I've learned so much from one book.

His books are even better than his documentaries. Interested in our universe or our evolution then this book is definitely a must read. ( )
  Cl56 | May 22, 2015 |
I listened to audio version of this book and some of the CDs had problems that forced me to skip sections. This meant that I lost the continuity of the book. I liked what I heard and agree with his point of view. Neil is knowledgeable and is able to present the material in a understandable manner. ( )
  GlennBell | Feb 19, 2015 |
A look at the interrelationships between life on earth and the cosmos itself. Our bodies carry the secrets of our history; our bodies literally betray their origin in the stars. Material recycled from the rocks works its way through living organisms. The author begins at the beginning of the earth, and works forward to the present. Clear, concise language and interesting information. Even as a long-time biologist, there are still things I can learn from a book like this. Well written, straightforward, it is a quick and easy read. ( )
  quantum_flapdoodle | Mar 25, 2014 |
In The Universe Within, Neil Shubin reveals the connection between the evolution of the cosmos and the evolution of the human body.

Just as the history of the earth is written in the rocks, so too is the universe’s 14-billion-year history written in the human body. Starting at the smallest level, with our very molecular composition, Shubin explores the question of why we are the way we are, tracing the formation of the planets, the moon, and the globe of Earth through the development of the organs, cells, and genes that make up human life. ( )
  MarkBeronte | Mar 4, 2014 |
Neal Shubin is the guy who found the fossils of Tiktaalik, the “fish with hands,” a possible link between sea and land animals. His last book, Your Inner Fish: A Journey into the 3.5-Billion-Year History of the Human Body, was all about how humanity developed out of earlier forms.

In The Universe Within: Discovering the Common History of Rocks, Planets and People, Shubin takes a look at the bigger picture. Yes, it does get bigger than 3.5 billion years; in this case, he’s looking at how puny little humans are actually part of the more than 14 billion-year history of the universe.

The key here is that Shubin—like Neil DeGrasse Tyson, for instance, and the late Carl Sagan—has a real knack for making science not only understandable but amusing and interesting. He writes anti-fables, but the narrative remains fabulous.

Reviewed on Lit/Rant: http://litrant.tumblr.com/post/51781909883/the-antidote-to-mythology ( )
  KelMunger | Jun 5, 2013 |

CONTENTS: Rocking our world -- Blasts from the past -- Lucky stars -- About time -- The ascent of big -- Connecting the dots -- Kings of the hill -- Fevers and chills -- Cold facts -- Mothers of invention.

WITH BLACK-AND-WHITE LINE DRAWINGS THROUGHOUT

From one of our finest and most popular science writers, and the best-selling author of Your Inner Fish, comes the answer to a scientific mystery as big as the world itself: How are the events that formed our solar system billions of years ago embedded inside each of us?

In Your Inner Fish, Neil Shubin delved into the amazing connections between human bodies—our hands, heads, and jaws—and the structures in fish and worms that lived hundreds of millions of years ago. In The Universe Within, with his trademark clarity and exuberance, Shubin takes an even more expansive approach to the question of why we look the way we do. Starting once again with fossils, he turns his gaze skyward, showing us how the entirety of the universe’s fourteen-billion-year history can be seen in our bodies. As he moves from our very molecular composition (a result of stellar events at the origin of our solar system) through the workings of our eyes, Shubin makes clear how the evolution of the cosmos has profoundly marked our own bodies.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:06 -0400)

Shubin shows how the entirety of the universe's fourteen-billion-year history can be seen in our bodies as he moves from our very molecular composition (a result of stellar events at the origin of our solar system) through the workings of our eyes.

62 wanted3 pay2 pay

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 98,412,252 books! | Top bar: Always visible