Black Irish: A Novel by Stephan Talty

Black Irish: A Novel (edition 2013)

by Stephan Talty

2046157,485 (3.53)59
Title:Black Irish: A Novel
Authors:Stephan Talty
Info:Ballantine Books (2013), Hardcover, 336 pages
Collections:Read but unowned
Tags:Early Review, Irish, immigration, mystery

Black Irish by Stephan Talty

The reason I took so long to read this book is I was listening to it in my Mustang and I haven't driven it too much this summer! ( )
  martinhughharvey | Sep 4, 2015 |
I'd say it's nearer a 4 star than a 3; a good read, well written and plotted and the characters are pretty well drawn, with the protagonist very well fleshed out. Talty is a new author to me, and I'll read more of him, I'm sure. ( )
  AntT | Jan 24, 2015 |
  AntT | Jan 24, 2015 |
Good start, but then gets too cute by a half and goes off the rails trying to create more suspense. Gets ridiculously implausible for a detective story. ( )
1 vote VGAHarris | Jan 19, 2015 |
Okay, I'm from Buffalo, so I enjoyed this noir version of my hometown. While I liked the writing and the detective's character, I found the plot completely ridiculous. I'm not a regular mystery-reader (or even a detective-show watcher) so I'm not familiar with serial-killer tropes, but I found the social and psychological aspects of this novel completely unbelievable and untenable. ( )
  aprille | Dec 28, 2014 |

Stephan Taltyprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Turner, SusanDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Edouarine Vliceus

In this explosive debut thriller by the New York Times bestselling author of Empire of Blue Water, a brilliant homicide detective returns home, where she confronts a city’s dark demons and her own past while pursuing a brutal serial killer on a vengeful rampage.

Absalom “Abbie” Kearney grew up an outsider in her own hometown. Even being the adopted daughter of a revered cop couldn’t keep Abbie’s troubled past from making her a misfit in the working-class Irish American enclave of South Buffalo. And now, despite a Harvard degree and a police detective’s badge, she still struggles to earn the respect and trust of those she’s sworn to protect. But all that may change, once the killing starts.

When Jimmy Ryan’s mangled corpse is found in a local church basement, this sadistic sacrilege sends a bone-deep chill through the winter-whipped city. It also seems to send a message—one that Abbie believes only the fiercely secretive citizens of the neighborhood known as “the County” understand. But in a town ruled by an old-world code of silence and secrecy, her search for answers is stonewalled at every turn, even by fellow cops. Only when Abbie finds a lead at the Gaelic Club, where war stories, gossip, and confidences flow as freely as the drink, do tongues begin to wag—with desperate warnings and dire threats. And when the killer’s mysterious calling card appears on her own doorstep, the hunt takes a shocking twist into her own family’s past. As the grisly murders and grim revelations multiply, Abbie wages a chilling battle of wits with a maniac who sees into her soul, and she swears to expose the County’s hidden history—one bloody body at a time.

With Black Irish, Stephen Talty stakes a place beside Jo Nesbø, John Sandford, and Tana French on the cutting edge of psychological crime thrillers.

Advance praise for Black Irish
“Abbie Kearney is one of the most intriguing new suspense protagonists in memory, and Black Irish marks the captivating start of a brilliant thriller series.”—Tess Gerritsen, New York Times bestselling author of Last to Die
“A memorable story of betrayal and vengeance.”—Publishers Weekly

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:23:31 -0400)

Returning to the working-class Irish-American community of her childhood in South Buffalo, homicide detective Absalom Kearney begins receiving cryptic messages from a twisted serial killer only to find her investigation stymied by her own colleagues.

7 wanted2 pay3 pay

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Black Irish by Stephan Talty was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,843,400 books! | Top bar: Always visible