Who Tells the Moon to Sleep? by Haley…

Who Tells the Moon to Sleep? (edition 2012)

by Haley Whitehall

Member:spacechick365
Title:Who Tells the Moon to Sleep?
Authors:Haley Whitehall
Info:Expanding Horizons Press (2012), Paperback, 32 pages

Who Tells the Moon to Sleep? by Haley Whitehall

Nice short children's book about slavery, with lovely illustrations.
I think the book does a very good job at explaining slavery in a way that is comprehensible to children and tackles the issue in a way that is not too serious or traumatizing, but still conveys that slavery was a terrible thing. ( )
  Britt84 | Apr 12, 2013 |
Who Tells The Moon to Sleep? Written by Haley Whitehall, this book is a fictional portrayal of a little girl who lived as a slave on a tobacco farm. The story is told from the child’s perspective as she begins to notice that not everyone is treated the same. Sad and thought provoking, this is an excellent read-a-loud book for early readers. The book is also suitable as a resource in the classroom to support discussions about slavery and treating others equally. ( )
  Kyrana | Mar 24, 2013 |
I received this book free to read and review from Library Thing. This is an excellent book about slavery. In the story, a little girl asks her mother several times about why things are as they are, why certain things do things. Finally, the girl realizes they do the things they do because they can make decisions and are free—and decides she also will one day be free to decide herself. The book is simple enough for a young child to read or understand when it is read to him/her, yet has enough wisdom and common sense to make it very worthwhile. I liked the fact that it is simple yet still profound in the deepest sense. Parents looking for a good book to read with their children that will teach as well as entertain should read this book. It does both and does both extremely well. ( )
  KMT01 | Feb 28, 2013 |
This is a very touching short story about slavery through the eyes of a child. There are some parts that are especially heartbreaking when told by a small child. The illustrations are also pretty to look at. Even as an adult, I enjoyed the story, but I think that children would get a good lesson out of it as well. ( )
  sealford | Feb 27, 2013 |
Who Tells the Moon to Sleep? is a very well written book. My kids are 1 and 3 though and I didn't realize how many questions it would bring up with my oldest. I would make sure you are ready to explain slavery to your kids before reading this to them. It did a great job of telling the story though and it is a book that we will read over and over again! ( )
  spacechick365 | Feb 26, 2013 |

Haley Whitehall is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,330,580 books! | Top bar: Always visible