The Transformers Classics, Volume 1 by Bob…

The Transformers Classics, Volume 1

by Bob Budiansky

Other authors: Ian Akin (Illustrator), Kyle Baker (Illustrator), Mark W. Bellomo (Introduction), Kim DeMulder (Illustrator), Brian Garvey (Illustrator)12 more, Al Gordon (Illustrator), William Johnson (Illustrator), Brad Joyce (Illustrator), Alan Kupperberg (Illustrator), Ralph Macchio (Contributor), Bill Mantlo (Contributor), Tom Palmer (Illustrator), Don Perlin (Illustrator), Jim Salicrup (Contributor), Frank Springer (Illustrator), Herb Trimpe (Illustrator), Ricardo Villamonte (Illustrator)

Series: The Transformers -1984 (1-13 collected), The Transformers Classics -2011 (1)

151647,891 (5)None

Access a version of the below that includes illustrations on my blog.

I have a bit of a mixed relationship with The Transformers. I loved the two spin-offs of the original cartoon, Beast Wars and Beast Machines, both of which I followed devotedly in high school. But my attempts to return to the source material have done little for me: I don't care for any single episode of the original 1980s Transformers cartoon I have seen, aside from the 1986 film, which I like not so much for its quality, but for the sublimely unique experience that is watching it: toy robot advertisements meets mythological saga, featuring both Orson Welles and Weird Al. But I always like the idea of the Transformers-- how could you not?-- and with the cheapness of a Humble Bundle, I'm willing to give it another go.

Unfortunately, I think the opening volume of the 1980s Marvel Transformers comic betrays all the weaknesses of the format. While I think the Beast-era cartoons managed to put storytelling above toy-selling, this comic drowns in its toy-commercial roots, driven home by the giant panels where umpteen characters introduce themselves, their gimmicks, and potted explanations of their own personalities. The worst part of it is that little of these introductions even matter! You never hear from most of these characters in any substantive way, and when you do, they're written completely generically-- the little bits of personality they deploy here never matter. This is probably unavoidable by the design of the comic; when you have eighteen good guy characters and eleven bad guy ones, and are constantly adding new ones as new toys come out, it becomes impossible for more than a handful of them, if that, to receive any kind of focus in a 22-page comic book!

The human characters are few and distinctive enough to pop, though not always for the best. There's a kid who's an obvious reader surrogate, "Buster" Witwicky, son of a mechanic but with no mechanical aptitude himself, but I find myself gravitating more toward his single father, "Sparkplug", a grizzled Vietnam vet who is scared by these strange alien robots but still has a heart of gold. I also found myself liking Ratchet, the ambulance Transformer who is the Autobot's mechanic, but I think that might be because I imagined him voiced by Star Trek: Deep Space Nine's Jeff Combs, who voiced Ratchet in the 2010-13 cartoon Transformers: Prime.

Initially, the first four issues are written by three writers (Bill Mantlo, Ralph Macchio, and Jim Salicrup), but after that, the long-serving Bob Budiansky takes over. I've of two minds about Budiansky's work. He obviously doesn't want things to be stale. While on television, The Transformers was about Autobots led by Optimus Prime and Decepticons led by Megatron fighting an unchanging war, Budiansky is constantly adjusting the status quo. The logical Shockwave assumes control of the Decepticons, and manages to subdue and capture most of the Autobots. The Shockwave-Megatron throwdown is probably the best sequence in this whole volume, but other than that, the old status quo had so little time to bed in, that seeing the Autobots scattered and leaderless isn't all that effective an upset, and the Autobots don't end up with a whole lot of focus.

Budiansky likes to sprinkle in tales that put some focus on the human element, with mixed results; the trucker whose trailer is stolen by the Decepticons has some potential; the man who finds his life of crime enhanced by his possession of a Megatron locked into handgun mode is much more entertaining. So there's obviously potential here, but thus far I feel like Budiansky and his very varied artistic collaborators aren't really delivering on it.

(One last note of complaint: two issues here feature Marvel-owned characters, Spider-Man and Circuit Breaker, in issues #3 and #9. IDW actually did get the rights to reprint them in hard copy, which was, I believe, a first, but apparently not electronically. I understand that these things happen, but the e-book version of this collection doesn't explain their omission, just cutting from issue #2 to #4, and from page 55 to page 81, without a single comment!)
  Stevil2001 | Oct 9, 2016 |

Salicrup, JimContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Springer, FrankIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Trimpe, HerbIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Villamonte, RicardoIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Collects issues 1-13 of Marvel's original Transformers comic.

12 yrs+YA. Science fiction. Graphic Novel. Relive the original Transformers stories that started it all! Culled from the classic '80s Marvel material, this first volume offers some of the most beloved stories from the past, including the seminal "Car Wash of Doom," "Crater Critters," "Warrior School!," and many others.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 126,465,690 books! | Top bar: Always visible