White Lines by Jennifer Banash

White Lines (edition 2013)

by Jennifer Banash

Member:kimpiddington
Title:White Lines
Authors:Jennifer Banash
Info:Putnam Juvenile (2013), Hardcover, 304 pages
Tags:clubbing, NY, cocaine, abuse

White Lines by Jennifer Banash

As much as I want to rate this book higher than two measly stars, I just can't. The characters were interesting enough, the story was pretty good, up until the end. The end killed it for me. The story just wasn't finished, not enough for me anyway. Caitlyn, or Cat, is a cool kid. Lives by herself, is pretty much queen of the club she works at, and tries to live an almost normal life. Well, aside from the drugs, the abusive mother, and the father who's never there. sure she has friends, but I don't think she would have most of them if she wasn't into the club scene as much as she was. Again, I don't have a problem with the whole story as much as I have a problem with the end. Sure, the book was depressing, ut that's just how books are sometimes. I want to know what happened to Giovanni, especially, but also what happened to the rest of the characters, aside from the TWO that were mentioned at the end of the book. What happens to Jullian? Does Cat's mom continue to assault her and worm her way onto her life? Does Cat ever tell anyone what happened between her and Christoph? Ugh. Those are just a few questions I have. Rant Over. Don't read this book if you want to read something that completely finishes. Disappointed.

Thanks for reading. Here's a link to my blog, feel free to check it out. (':

radioactivebookreviews.wordpress.com ( )
  aurora.schnarr | Feb 26, 2014 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Great book! I had a hard time putting it down. Its a great depiction of addiction and the club scene during the 80's. ( )
  ashiepoo84 | Sep 8, 2013 |
Loved the story line. Deals with addiction. Not sure if teens today would understand the music referances, but I did ( i'm 27 ). ( )
  SparklePonies | Apr 30, 2013 |
Drug addiction is a subject I haven't personally read a whole lot of, but the two books I have read that dealt with the topic - Crank by Ellen Hopkins and The Heroin Diaries by Nikki Sixx - were quite eye-opening and compulsively readable. As such, I was extremely intrigued with the summary for White Lines, particularly since it seemed like there was going to be a lot more going on in this book than just the drugs. What I found in its pages was a very damaged main character who, despite her issues and flawed way of thinking, was someone I was completely rooting for and hoping she'd figure things out before it was too late.

This book is quite dark, and not just because of the drug use. Cat is emotionally wrecked, doesn't trust easily, and is well aware that her choices aren't the best. The book is scattered throughout with flashbacks to her childhood, when her mother would abuse her or her father would ignore her, and that added a very tangible sense of sadness to the story, even if she herself wasn't necessarily drowning in sorrow the time. Cat was a very conflicted narrator, equal parts sad and angry, mostly going through the motions. Only when she was at the club or doing drugs was she "alive" if you will (which of course was the main draw for her to the drugs in the first place), and I have to give major kudos for the way those scenes were written, in such a psychedelic fashion. The clothing, atmosphere, music and excess were nearly dripping off the page, keeping time with the chaotic and drug-infused thoughts careening through Cat's head. All of this was just utterly atmospheric and kept me thoroughly engaged the entire time.

My one complaint about this book is that the ending is rather nice and tidy, if you will. One of the things I liked most about The Heroin Diaries was when Nikki recounted just how difficult it was to get himself together and leave the drugs behind. I couldn't help but notice that, aside from a paragraph or two, that is decidedly missing from White Lines, and somehow keeps the story from being as completely fleshed out as it could have been. In my opinion, a book dealing with a subject as all-encompassing as drug abuse and addiction is shouldn't be tied up in a nice, neat bow, and I couldn't help but feel that that was precisely what happened here.

Nonetheless, if you're looking for a realistic, gritty and dark YA read that deals with a number of tough topics, do pick up White Lines. The book does a very good job of transporting you to the 1980s, complete with John Hughes movie and New Age music references that made me smile. There are no minced words when it comes to the drug use and club scenes, but all of it comes together to form a really well done book that's extremely readable and really pulls you in. I'd definitely recommend it!

An e-galley was provided by the publisher via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. ( )
  ahandfulofconfetti | Apr 28, 2013 |
Taking a different direction in book, I decided to pick up a coming of age tale.
The plot of the book move a lot quicker than what I thought. Cat is alone. Literally all alone. She has been abandon by her parents and well she is living a life style that is fine for now but is slowly draining her. I like that the plot is easy to get into as well as the characters. Each chapter, the readers learn of Cat’s life and her friends. She is closed off and very scared. The plot also moves backwards into the past, giving little pieces of what Cat’s life use to look like. Some parts are nice, while others just make you cringe.
There really wasn’t a love interest till the end. Cat is slowly becoming aware that everything around her is not all what it seems. She longs for love, for a connection to the family she once had. She misses it, she just doesn’t know what she can do to get it back. There are other minor characters who help Cat along the way. One acts like a mom, always on her case about her school, homework, weight, etc. Cat needed that. And there is one “boy” friend who indeed makes her feel like there is something more out there. Cat takes her time, but eventually realizes what she wanted has always been in front of her eyes the entire time.
White Lines is a great coming of age story that is harsh yet hopeful. A strong story that is a success, White Lines is great. ( )
  Bookswithbite | Apr 17, 2013 |

A gritty, atmospheric coming of age tale set in 1980s New York City

Seventeen-year-old Cat is living every teenager’s dream—she has her own apartment on the Lower East Side and at night she’s club kid royalty, guarding the velvet rope at some of the hottest clubs in the city. The night with its crazy, frenetic, high-inducing energy—the pulsing beat of the music, the radiant, joyful people and those seductive white lines that can ease all pain—is when Cat truly lives. But her daytime, when real life occurs, is more nightmare than dream.

Having spent years suffering her mother’s emotional and physical abuse, and abandoned by her father, Cat is terrified and alone—unable to connect to anyone or anything. But when someone comes along who makes her want to truly live, she’ll need to summon the courage to confront her demons and take control of a life already spinning dangerously out of control.

Both poignant and raw, White Lines is a gripping tale and the reader won’t want to look away.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:35:05 -0400)

In 1980s New York City, seventeen-year-old Caitlin tries to overcome her mother's abuse and father's abandonment by losing herself in nights of clubbing and drugs, followed by days of stumbling aimlessly through school.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

White Lines by Jennifer Banash was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,724,859 books! | Top bar: Always visible