The Long Way Home: The Chesapeake Diaries by…

The Long Way Home: The Chesapeake Diaries (edition 2013)

by Mariah Stewart

Member:jo2son
Title:The Long Way Home: The Chesapeake Diaries
Authors:Mariah Stewart
Info:Ballantine Books (2013), Mass Market Paperback, 432 pages
Collections:Read but unowned
Tags:read in 2012, Netgalley, life changes, old home, water, relationships, discovery, friendship, romance, renovation, ARC

The Long Way Home: The Chesapeake Diaries by Mariah Stewart

Recently added byJudithDCollins

I have read all the books in the Chesapeake Diary Series and again this one takes place in St. Dennis. My favorite character is Grace who is an older woman who knows everyone and gives you an overview of all the happenings.

Ellis Chapman (daughter of a wealthy man who is now in jail for a Ponzi scheme and she has lost everything). She returns to St. Dennis as she inherits an old home from her grandmother-– broke she has to live in the house for six months before she can sell according to the will. She wants to escape and changes her name. She falls in love with the carpenter (a guy who grew up in the house with a past as well). During the course of the book she makes friends, gets a dog, and inherits a step sister to raise who she knew nothing about. She also finds out about the history of her family and their artistic talents while she is busy remodeling. Not a page turner – but a light read.

I purchased the audio and the narrator did an excellent job with the voice over and the author did a great job with the descriptions within this small quaint town.

Reviewed by Robin
Book provided by NetGalley for review
Review originally posted at Romancing the Book

Everyone that is willing to admit it longs for a time when they can just pick up and move to another place and start over. Where no one knows them… If only we could do this is real life. A fresh start…or a do over would actually be nice once in a while. In The Long Way Home, Ms. Stewart takes us into the life of Ellis Chapman. Most of her life she has led a life most dream of. A beautiful model mother, a father who doted on her and a job in the family business right out of school; things seemed to be going great until… Your mother dies and somehow you seem to find that you missed out on her life. Your father swindles millions from unsuspecting people and if that isn’t the worst you find that the man whom you were engaged to was probably just using you as he was in on the scheme with your father. And I thought I had a bad day.

Ellis has a chance to change everything. Her mother had a will and has left her a house in St. Dennis on the Chesapeake. Only there is one stipulation she must live there for six months. As Ellis has no money, no clothes, no car, and one friend left due to the recent discoveries about her father and fiancé she has no choice actually but to see where her mother longed to be all the time. Maybe she would then find answers.

Ellis changes her name to Ellie Ryder and heads off in a car she has borrowed from her only true friend. Ms. Stewart has a way of showing the true nature of people. Having gone through some things a few years ago you always find out who your true friends are in certain situations. Most tend to leave when the going gets rough not even waiting for your side of things. As Ms. Stewart shows us, in this tender love story that no matter how done on your luck there is always a bright side.

The bright side comes in the form of handyman, Cam O’Conner. Cam has connections to the house that Ellie has inherited. He wants to buy the house. At first he offers help only because he has an ulterior motive but soon the two bonds falling for each other. Ms. Stewart shows us once again that a small town warmth and hominess tends to help the healing process of no matter what is going on. As Cam and Ellie find healing together a twist is thrown their way. Ellie finds she has a half-sister. Her father is sitting in jail and this young girl has just lost her mother in a car accident. Will Ellie put away her hurt and betrayal and take her in?

The house also comes with a ghost, paintings, duck decoys, a library filled with memories and many other wonderful things. Come take a peek into the lives of Ellie and Cam as they find that they are meant for each other in a wonderful house filled with love in the small town of St. Dennis. I would love to go visit them.

I love the descriptions of the house, town, beach, people and the resident ghost. I fell in love with everything and was ready to hop in my car for a quick trip to meet old and new friends. I think if you haven’t already you just may want to get your copy of The Long Way Home and fall in love with the people of St. Dennis. You just might find yourself wanting to take a trip.
added by RtB | editRomancing the Book, Robin (Feb 8, 2013)

So this is St. Dennis.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0345538412, Mass Market Paperback)

New York Times bestselling author Mariah Stewart presents a captivating contemporary romance novel in the tradition of Robyn Carr, Susan Mallery, and Barbara Freethy.

As the only child of a wealthy investment manager, Ellie Chapman has never known anything besides a life of perfect privilege. But her years of good fortune come to an abrupt end when her father is exposed for swindling billions of dollars from innocent investors in a massive Ponzi scheme. And just like that, Ellie loses everything: money, job, home—even her fiancé, who’s jailed as her father’s partner in crime. With no job prospects on the horizon, no cash, and her family name in tatters, Ellie has only one place to go.

Sleepy St. Dennis, Maryland, is hardly where Ellie intends to stay, however. Keeping her identity a secret, she plans to sell the house her late mother left her in the small town and use the proceeds to move on with her life. Unfortunately, her ticket to a new beginning is in dire need of a laundry list of pricey improvements, many of which she’ll have to do herself. And until the house on Bay View Road is fit to be sold, the sole place Ellie will be traveling is the hardware store. But as the many charms of St. Dennis—not to mention Cameron O’Connor, the handsome local contractor who has secrets of his own—begin to work their magic, what begins as a lesson in do-it-yourself renovations might just end up as Ellie’s very own rejuvenation.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:56:12 -0400)

When her wealthy father's Ponzi scheme is exposed, Ellie Chapman loses everything--including her fiance--but learns valuable lessons in both life and love when she comes to St. Dennis, Maryland to sell her late mother's house.

82 wanted2 pay3 pay

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

The Long Way Home by Mariah Stewart was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,012,906 books! | Top bar: Always visible