Magnetic by Robin Alexander

Rating:***
Tags:e-book, fiction, lesbian, romance

Magnetic by Robin Alexander

Recently added bywalnut242, Aussiewoman, schatzi

Oh, I hate giving such a low review to this book. The first book I read by Robin Alexander was "Pitifully Ugly," and I absolutely loved it. But "Magnetic" isn't that book, and to be honest, I had a hard time believing it was written by the same author.

The premise of "Magnetic" sounds okay, if a bit bland: Layne meets Stacey and they have a one-night stand. They're both surprised when they meet again, and this time, Stacey's dating one of Layne's best friends. But there's something "magnetic" between Layne and Stacey that pulls them together, even when they seem like opposites (Layne is orderly and careful, Stacey is more carefree and spur of the moment).

The execution, unfortunately, is poor. I found it hard to get engrossed with the story; it was more of a "telling" than a "showing." I felt like I was reading an instruction manual in some places. The editing is also poor, with shifts in perspective, poor grammar, and spliced commas. I didn't bond with either of the main characters, and the dialogue was atrocious! No one talks like that in real life.

I'll continue reading Robin Alexander's books because I liked "Pitifully Ugly" so much, and I hope her future offerings are more like that book than this one. "Magnetic" is a dud. ( )
  schatzi | Nov 27, 2012 |
For the sweetest of Roses

Grams

And Barbara

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,477,053 books! | Top bar: Always visible