The Resurrectionist by E. B. Hudspeth

The Resurrectionist

by E. B. Hudspeth

Recently added byrena75, thefirstdark

The book is separated into two parts; a brief history of Dr. Spencer Black's professional life and personal life and Dr. Black's Codex Extinct Animalia itself. The story of his life is easily read in one sitting and is quite interesting, while The Codex Extinct Animalia is only a brief description at the beginning of each chapter describing and classifying the animal shown in the drawings of that chapter. Those drawings of various cryptids are where this book stands out. The medical sketches of muscle and bone structure are worth the time taken to look through them and see how these animals may look under the skin. ( )
  Williamjarvis | Nov 30, 2018 |
The Resurrectionist is the fictitious biography of Dr. Spencer Black, 0chronicling his life and career, his projects and incredibly strange ideas. The son of a grave robber, Dr. Black studies at Philadelphia’s esteemed Academy of Medicine, where he develops an unconventional hypothesis: What if the world’s most celebrated mythological beasts—mermaids, minotaurs, and satyrs—were in fact the evolutionary ancestors of humankind? The novel is actually two books in one. The first, the biography of Dr. Spencer Black, and the second Black’s magnum opus: The Codex Extinct Animalia, a “Gray’s Anatomy” for mythological beasts—dragons, centaurs, Pegasus, Cerberus—all rendered in meticulously detailed anatomical illustrations. I found the biographical portion of the book strange and at times horrifying and gut-churning. Interestingly, The Codex’s illustrations and artwork are fascinating and beautiful. I never fully understood the point of the book, but did appreciate the beauty. 3 out of 5 stars. ( )
  marsap | Jul 13, 2017 |
Horrible book. Like a book version of criminal minds. The guy's insane, his journal writings are horrible and little or no additional information about him are supplied. All vague references to what he did. More info on his "brilliant work on Ward C would have been useful." What happened to him and his brother? Ending left much to be desired. His mythical chimera beings are just plain stupid.

Seems to be put together with snippets of information ( )
  swalcker | Oct 4, 2016 |
I found the main character increasingly disturbing and disliked the disjointed storytelling method of using journals. If you enjoy reading about serial killers from a first hand perspective, and don't mind getting into their head a little, and if you're really dedicated to Victorian Era novels, then you might make it through this one. There were no redeeming qualities about this character at all. The one quality that was initially somewhat redeeming - his scientific curiosity and intelligence - becomes increasingly subsumed by madness. The artwork is amazing, and the attention to detail is wonderful. I really felt like I was reading the diary of a madman, and not a fictional work. ( )
  RecklessReader | Jan 24, 2016 |
I'm having difficulty shelving this, I have to admit. Although this is definitely not a horror novel (for me) it is unsettling, intriguing, and at the very least, interesting. Dark, bitter, and brooding is my jam. It isn't often that I wish a book were longer - in most cases I feel novels could do with removing a good third of useless padding - and being a person who loves a bitter end, I don't care often for sequels, but my word do I wish this were a longer story! Dr. Black is a fascinating, dark character which is my favorite sort. I would love to learn more about his life, his wife, his children, and what on earth happened to them after the end. The illustrations at the end, in The Codex Extinct Animalia are lovely, and I'm thrilled to see a pegasus that doesn't have nonsensical construction for once. I can definitely call myself a fan of novels written as non-fictional accounts, and The Resurrectionist is one of the most fun in that genre that I've yet read (seventh grade me was in love with The Dragonology Handbook!) I eagerly await a sequel!

If you like weird, creepy novels then this is a great and quick read for you. ( )
  fowlie | Aug 4, 2015 |

Hudspeth, E. B.primary authorall editionsconfirmed
Horner, DoogieDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
McGurk, John J.Production managementsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dr. Spencer Black and his older brother, Bernard, were born in Boston, Massachusetts, in 1851, and 1848, respectively.

Philadelphia. The late 1870s. A city of cobblestone sidewalks and horse-drawn carriages. Home to the famous anatomist and surgeon Dr. Spencer Black. The son of a “resurrectionist” (aka grave robber), Dr. Black studied at Philadelphia’s esteemed Academy of Medicine, where he develops an unconventional hypothesis: What if the world’s most celebrated mythological beasts—mermaids, minotaurs, and satyrs— were in fact the evolutionary ancestors of humankind?

The Resurrectionist offers two extraordinary books in one. The first is a fictional biography of Dr. Spencer Black, from his humble beginnings to the mysterious disappearance at the end of his life. The second book is Black’s magnum opus: The Codex Extinct Animalia, a Gray’s Anatomy for mythological beasts—dragons, centaurs, Pegasus, Cerberus—all rendered in meticulously detailed black-and-white anatomical illustrations. You need only look at these images to realize they are the work of a madman. The Resurrectionist tells his story.

Philadelphia, the late 1870s. A city of gas lamps, cobblestone streets, and horse-drawn carriages and home to the controversial surgeon Dr. Spencer Black. The son of a grave robber, young Dr. Black studies at Philadelphia's esteemed Academy of Medicine, where he develops an unconventional hypothesis: What if the world's most celebrated mythological beasts, mermaids, minotaurs, and satyrs, were in fact the evolutionary ancestors of humankind? The Resurrectionist offers two extraordinary books in one. The first is a fictional biography of Dr. Spencer Black, from a childhood spent exhuming corpses through his medical training, his travels with carnivals, and the mysterious disappearance at the end of his life. The second book is Black's magnum opus: The Codex Extinct Animalia, a Gray's Anatomy for mythological beasts, dragons, centaurs, Pegasus, Cerberus. all rendered in meticulously detailed anatomical illustrations. You need only look at these images to realize they are the work of a madman.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

E. B. Hudspeth's book The Resurrectionist was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,118,636 books! | Top bar: Always visible