Asylum by Madeleine Roux

Asylum

by Madeleine Roux

Series: Asylum (1)

This book. It's...boring, has flat characters, and is a poor imitation of [b:Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children|9460487|Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children (Miss Peregrine's Peculiar Children, #1)|Ransom Riggs|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1391229642s/9460487.jpg|14345371]. It's a very quick read, something this book has in common with Twilight. And, no, that's not a compliment. If you're looking for something with awesome creepy pictures AND interesting characters and plot development, go read the aforementioned Ransom Riggs book. Asylum, however, is a big PASS. ( )
  rkcraig88 | Jul 15, 2019 |
Meh, maybe not even quite 3 stars, for me. The first bit was boring. Later, more is happening, but it's a bit predictable. The author attempts twists & turns, but I saw them coming a mile away... Other things are weird, but then peter out to nothing, just disappear. Red herrings, but even red herrings need some resolution, or they're just stupid dead ends. :/

The only really creepy bit is the photos. ( )
  Amelia1989 | Jun 10, 2019 |
Where to start. Haunting, fun, page turner for sure. It gives you a creepy feel from beginning to the end. I personally couldn’t put it down. I’m the type of person who wants to know what happens next so 3am in the morning and I’m still reading this haha!
I love how the characters all connect in a certain way with how they’re family from the past is somehow connected to the Asylum leading them throughout the novel to new places and finding new evidence. Half the time the novel kept me saying in the back of my mind, “don’t go in there!” “why are you going in there” “oh, don’t trust that person” “wait, what did I just read?”
Every chapter added a new adventure. And that’s personally what I like about reading books. If they can take you on the adventure with just picturing the surroundings then you know it’s going to be a good book you can’t put down.
I hope this series continues being a page turner. With a scare here and there. I loved it!!

My Email:
Inwonderlandreading@gmail.com ( )
  MissTamaraDawn | Jun 4, 2019 |
writing wasn't that great, but still ended up being a creepy story ( )
  nframke | Apr 30, 2019 |
Dan Crawford is looking forward to a summer at a prestigious Prep School. When he meets Jordan and Abby --esp. Abby!-- it seems it will be a summer of learning, love, and adventure. He soon learns however that their dorm is a former psychiatric hospital. Pictures of patients, doctors, inhumane treatment are coupled with weird messages and sightings. Secrets abound and trouble ensues. Flat pacing and a predictable bad guy ruins a great concept --at least for this reader. ( )
  mjspear | Oct 17, 2018 |
A copy of this was given to me, free,
Creepy as hell! When I finished reading this I still wasn't sure what was going on. And it's not over - not yet. I guess you could say that I was expecting a ghost story; something that was scary and just right for Halloween. I am not sure if I would classify this as a ghost story or a story of possession. Does this tiny detail matter though? No, at least I don't think so. There were some awkward moments. The first one being Felix. But, he was an awkward character to begin with so. . . I guess I should have expected that. The other awkward thing was how quickly the friendship between Jordan, Abby and Daniel came together and then came apart. Yes, the program is only 5 weeks, but still! I guess it was how quickly it came apart that really bothered me. Other than that, I really enjoyed this one. Books that leave with more questions than answers always bother me. While this book was intriguing enough for me to want to get my hands on book 2 as quickly as possible, if I don't get the answers that I need I am not sure if I will continue past book 2.

4 stars ****
added by StarrK | editThe Literati Press, Starr K (Dec 16, 2015)

Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there,
Wondering, fearing, doubting, dreaming dreams
No mortal ever dreamed before.
— Edgar Allan Poe
They built it out of stone—dark grey stone, pried loose from the unforgiving mountains.
Insanity is relative. It depends on who has who locked in what cage.

Three teens at a summer program for gifted students uncover shocking secrets in the sanatorium-turned-dorm where they're staying--secrets that link them all to the asylum's dark past.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,302,345 books! | Top bar: Always visible