My Beloved World by Sonia Sotomayor

My Beloved World (original 2013; edition 2013)

by Sonia Sotomayor

Member:Schmerguls
Title:My Beloved World
Authors:Sonia Sotomayor
Info:Knopf (2013), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 336 pages
Tags:autobiography, Bronx, Puerto Rico, Princeton, Yale, Supreme Court

My Beloved World by Sonia Sotomayor (2013)

This autobiography describes Sonia Sotomayor’s life from her earliest memories to the time when she became a judge. It carefully avoids touching on her political opinions, focusing instead on personally formative experiences. These include her close relationship with her grandmother and her only recently repaired relationship with her mother. It includes a ton of inspiring sentences that I could see underlined in my kindle version, each of which lets you see a little part of Sonia Sotomayor’s personality that must have been crucial in making her dreams a reality.

Even though I don’t follow politics very much, I really enjoyed getting to know a public figure’s background so intimately. More than anything else, I’d like to vote for politicians who I believe are good people. That would be much easier if everyone in politics wrote a book like this! This autobiography seems extremely candid and includes many moving, personal moments. I’m fairly sure I teared up a few times reading about how she overcame various challenges in her life. The book was very well written and I liked how straightforward the author was in admitting that she was intentionally avoiding talking about her political beliefs.

My one problem with this book was how seriously it was written. While it was beautiful, intimate, and inspiring, I didn’t feel much of a personal connection with the author. This could just be because our life experiences are very different, while many stunt memoirs that I read are by women addressing problems that I relate to. But I also felt that her memoir lacked the humor and down-to-earthness of some other authors. It felt a little more professional and a little more distant. That said, it was moving in the way that a movie can be moving even though it isn’t connected to you personally. It was also a great way to get to know someone who plays a crucial role in the politics of our country. So, if you’re looking for a memoir that’s a little more serious than the typical stunt memoir or are very interested in politics, I think you would probably enjoy this book even more than I did.

This review first published on Doing Dewey. ( )
  DoingDewey | Jun 29, 2014 |
Memoir, ending just when Sotomayor becomes a judge and deliberately not covering Supreme Court confirmation or tenure. She tells a very personal story of growing up in a Puerto Rican immigrant neighborhood with diabetes that had to be rigidly treated and an alcoholic father who died young. Constantly emphasizing compassion and seeing everyone’s perspective, Sotomayor defends negotiation—though she didn’t hesitate to raise a little hell on occasion, as when a law firm partner challenged her at a public dinner to explain why she deserved to be at Yale given that, he asserted, she was only there because of affirmative action. I read it because Sotomayor spent some time doing trademark work in private practice, but the memoir is so rich in the texture of her life through college, and a bit in the prosecutor’s office, that the private practice bits go by really quick. There’s not much more than what was part of her confirmation hearings—she once wore a bulletproof vest when rousting counterfeiters, and even zoomed off on a motorcycle to get away from angry people who’d had their merchandise seized at her behest. ( )
  rivkat | Jun 18, 2014 |
My Beloved World is Supreme Court Justice Sonia Sotomayor's autobiography. Her childhood was turbulent mainly she discovered she had Type I Diabetes when she was seven, her mother and father were always arguing, and her father died of his alcoholism when she was nine. However, Judge Sotomayor's spirit was fueled by self-reliance, ambition, endurance, and competition.

She was able to rise above her humble beginnings and excel in schooling, This lead to going to Princeton and later Yale Law School. During this time, she got married to her high school sweetheart but it didn't last. After law school, she began working the DA's Office then a private law firm dealing with intellectual property. After that was the Judge track. Being a judge was Judge Sotomayor's dream.

I liked this book. I felt that Judge's Sotomayor's beginnings humanized her to me. Then, I got to her later years, essentially Princeton-present, and that made her back to her God-like status. She said it repeatedly but her life was truly blessed. However, I was with her all the way because she handled it with such grace and maturity. Judge Sotomayor worked her for everything she achieved and will continue to achieve. ( )

Y2Ash | Apr 16, 2014 |
But if the outlines of Justice Sotomayor’s life are well known by now, her searching and emotionally intimate memoir, “My Beloved World,” nonetheless has the power to surprise and move the reader. Whereas the justice’s legal writings have been described by reporters as dry, methodical and technical, this account of her life is revealing, keenly observed and deeply felt.

My Beloved World is filled with inspiring, and surprisingly candid, stories about how the Supreme Court's first Hispanic justice overcame a troubled childhood to attend Princeton and Yale Law School, eventually earning a seat on the nation's highest court. But readers hoping to gain insight from the book into how Ms. Sotomayor might rule in key cases will have to dig deep for hints of her legal philosophy. The book, which covers he life prior to becoming a judge, barely says a word about the Constitution and even less about ideology. Yet one doesn't get the sense that politics were scrubbed from the text; it is rather that the topic isn't of much interest to the author.
added by sgump | editWall Street Journal, Carla Main (Jan 18, 2013)

Perdonadle al desterrado
ese dulce frenesi
vuelvo a mi mundo adorado,
y yo estoy enamorado
de la tierra en que naci.

. . .
Forgive the exile
this sweet frenzy;
I return to my beloved world,
in love with the land where I was born.
- from "To Puerto Rico (I Return),"
by Jose Gautier Benitez
(Preface) Since my appointment to the Supreme Court, I have spoken to a wide variety of groups in different settings, answering all sorts of questions.
(Prologue) I was barely awake, and my mother was already screaming.
I was not yet eight years old when I was diagnosed with diabetes.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0307594882, Hardcover)

Amazon Best Books of the Month, January 2013: Happily, it is becoming a familiar story: The young, smart, and very hardworking son or daughter of immigrants rises to the top of American professional life. But already knowing the arc of Sonia Sotomayor’s biography doesn’t adequately prepare you for the sound of her voice in this winning memoir that ends, interestingly, before the Yale Law School grad was sworn in as the first Hispanic Supreme Court Justice. Hers is a voice that lands squarely between self-deprecating and proud, grateful and defiant; a voice lilted with bits of Puerto Rican poetry; a voice full of anger, sadness, ambition, and love. My Beloved World is one resonant, glorious tale of struggle and triumph. --Sara Nelson

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:23:54 -0400)

"An instant American icon--the first Hispanic on the U.S. Supreme Court--tells the story of her life before becoming a judge in an inspiring, surprisingly personal memoir. With startling candor and intimacy, Sonia Sotomayor recounts her life from a Bronx housing project to the federal bench, a progress that is testament to her extraordinary determination and the power of believing in oneself. She writes of her precarious childhood and the refuge she took with her passionately spirited paternal grandmother. She describes her resolve as a young girl to become a lawyer, and how she made this dream become reality: valedictorian of her high school class, summa cum laude at Princeton, Yale Law, prosecutor in the Manhattan D.A.'s office, private practice, federal district judge before the age of forty. She writes about her deeply valued mentors, about her failed marriage, about her cherished family of friends. Through her still-astonished eyes, America's infinite possibilities are envisioned anew in this ... book"--… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,151,553 books! | Top bar: Always visible