My Beloved World by Sonia Sotomayor

My Beloved World (original 2013; edition 2013)

by Sonia Sotomayor

Member:Schmerguls
Title:My Beloved World
Authors:Sonia Sotomayor
Info:Knopf (2013), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 336 pages
Tags:autobiography, Bronx, Puerto Rico, Princeton, Yale, Supreme Court

My Beloved World by Sonia Sotomayor (2013)

The book was well constructed and thought out. Sonia does a wonderful job of drawing in the audience and truly painting a picture of what her early years were like. Strong writing, powerful content, a pleasant read! ( )
  GingerSegreti | Jul 12, 2015 |
Loved this book! What an inspiring story! Wondering how she found the time to write this book though... ( )
  rebeccar76 | Jun 24, 2015 |
Lovely memoir in every way. The epilogue is beautifully written and at least via this book, it seems a victory to all to have a person filled with humanity as a Supreme Court justice ( )
  lincolnpan | Dec 31, 2014 |
Inspirational. ( )
  bogopea | Nov 3, 2014 |
Justice Sotomayor has lead a remarkable life. She is very cerebral, my sense is that it was very difficult for her to open up about some hard areas of her life but she did. One observation of hers touched me deeply:"Each death of someone close to me has come as a slap, reminding me again of my own mortality, compelling me to ask: What am I accomplishing? Is my life meaningful?" ( )
  brewbooks | Sep 22, 2014 |
But if the outlines of Justice Sotomayor’s life are well known by now, her searching and emotionally intimate memoir, “My Beloved World,” nonetheless has the power to surprise and move the reader. Whereas the justice’s legal writings have been described by reporters as dry, methodical and technical, this account of her life is revealing, keenly observed and deeply felt.

My Beloved World is filled with inspiring, and surprisingly candid, stories about how the Supreme Court's first Hispanic justice overcame a troubled childhood to attend Princeton and Yale Law School, eventually earning a seat on the nation's highest court. But readers hoping to gain insight from the book into how Ms. Sotomayor might rule in key cases will have to dig deep for hints of her legal philosophy. The book, which covers he life prior to becoming a judge, barely says a word about the Constitution and even less about ideology. Yet one doesn't get the sense that politics were scrubbed from the text; it is rather that the topic isn't of much interest to the author.
added by sgump | editWall Street Journal, Carla Main (Jan 18, 2013)

Perdonadle al desterrado
ese dulce frenesi
vuelvo a mi mundo adorado,
y yo estoy enamorado
de la tierra en que naci.

. . .
Forgive the exile
this sweet frenzy;
I return to my beloved world,
in love with the land where I was born.
- from "To Puerto Rico (I Return),"
by Jose Gautier Benitez
(Preface) Since my appointment to the Supreme Court, I have spoken to a wide variety of groups in different settings, answering all sorts of questions.
(Prologue) I was barely awake, and my mother was already screaming.
I was not yet eight years old when I was diagnosed with diabetes.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0307594882, Hardcover)

Amazon Best Books of the Month, January 2013: Happily, it is becoming a familiar story: The young, smart, and very hardworking son or daughter of immigrants rises to the top of American professional life. But already knowing the arc of Sonia Sotomayor’s biography doesn’t adequately prepare you for the sound of her voice in this winning memoir that ends, interestingly, before the Yale Law School grad was sworn in as the first Hispanic Supreme Court Justice. Hers is a voice that lands squarely between self-deprecating and proud, grateful and defiant; a voice lilted with bits of Puerto Rican poetry; a voice full of anger, sadness, ambition, and love. My Beloved World is one resonant, glorious tale of struggle and triumph. --Sara Nelson

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:05:52 -0400)

"An instant American icon--the first Hispanic on the U.S. Supreme Court--tells the story of her life before becoming a judge in an inspiring, surprisingly personal memoir. With startling candor and intimacy, Sonia Sotomayor recounts her life from a Bronx housing project to the federal bench, a progress that is testament to her extraordinary determination and the power of believing in oneself. She writes of her precarious childhood and the refuge she took with her passionately spirited paternal grandmother. She describes her resolve as a young girl to become a lawyer, and how she made this dream become reality: valedictorian of her high school class, summa cum laude at Princeton, Yale Law, prosecutor in the Manhattan D.A.'s office, private practice, federal district judge before the age of forty. She writes about her deeply valued mentors, about her failed marriage, about her cherished family of friends. Through her still-astonished eyes, America's infinite possibilities are envisioned anew in this ... book"--… (more)

218 wanted2 pay3 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,094,587 books! | Top bar: Always visible