My Beloved World by Sonia Sotomayor

My Beloved World (original 2013; edition 2013)

by Sonia Sotomayor

Member:Schmerguls
Title:My Beloved World
Authors:Sonia Sotomayor
Info:Knopf (2013), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 336 pages
Tags:autobiography, Bronx, Puerto Rico, Princeton, Yale, Supreme Court

My Beloved World by Sonia Sotomayor (2013)

Especially interesting detail of Sonia Sotomayor's childhood in her Puerto Rican neighborhood of the Bronx; how non-English speaking students experienced school, how drugs penetrated the poverty stricken neighbors, and how alcoholism took the life of her father at a young age. Lovely description of the foods and family customs that made a particularly strong family; how an unusually strong connection between granddaughter and grandmother gave Sonia strength in a confusing and often sad situation. The book was much less interesting to me in the final third when she detailed all the many legal and social issues she has studied, championed, and represented legally. They are important to understand the Justice today and to appreciate her position serving on the Supreme Court, but just not as compelling reading as her personal journey depicted in the the first part of the book. ( )
  meltonmarty | Jul 12, 2016 |
Absolutely loved this book. I actually clapped when the audio was over. Not a political book at all, this is the ultimate Bronx / legal version of "A Tree Grows in Brooklyn" and "The Glass Castle." I want to read more books like this. Thank you Judge for writing it. I hope that men will also read it, I've asked my husband to - no pressure there, babe! ( )
  sydsavvy | Apr 8, 2016 |
Learned quite a bit about one of our Supreme Court Justices. This is a look at her earlier life up to her appointment to the Supreme Court.

Well worth the read and i listened to the audio version which is read by Rita Moreno.

I was not aware she is a diabetic and beat the odds of having juvenile diabetes in the 60's when there was not many treatments or management plans for the disease. ( )
  yvonne.sevignykaiser | Apr 2, 2016 |
I found Sotomayor's writing to portray a believable journey of an first generation child. It a perverse way, I heard an echo of a teacher of mine when she commented ( with much frustration): "If you didn't speak such good English at home, you would fail this course." Sotomayor only began to realize in college that she spoke English using a Spanish grammar (whereas I spoke English with no concept of grammar--just guessing my way through diagramming, etc).

At any rate, I thoroughly enjoyed reading of her life's journey. I admit to getting a bit bogged down during her stint at the District Attorney's office. I also found her flexibility in forming friendships with the rich and famous to be surprising--but that's my small town Indiana peeking through!

Those who have never lived outside of the U.S. may or may not understand the closeness of an extended family, but this narrative rang true for me. Perhaps it has more to do with extended family living in close proximity rather than the family's immigration status.

I was happy to learn that Daniel Partrick Moynehan was instrumental in her selection to the Federal bench. Today, in 2016, I fear it would not be possible for Sotomayor to be confirmed due to the rancor and dysfunction of our political process.

I think we need to switch our national slogan from "God bless America" to a more Anglo-influenced one of "God save America. I pray our Senate will perform its constitutional duty and hold hearings on Obama's moderate pick for our next Associate Justice of the Supreme Court.

I read the Kindle version on my iPad. I am disappointed that Knopt did not bother including the photographs. For shame! ( )
  kaulsu | Mar 22, 2016 |
Narrated by R-r-rita Mor-r-reno! Actually, Ms Sotomayor reads the forward and prologue. I wished she had read the whole book; there is a salt-of-the-Bronx quality to her voice that intimately grounds her story. But after my initial disappointment, Rita Moreno more than held her own, la veterana that she is. ( )
  Salsabrarian | Feb 2, 2016 |
But if the outlines of Justice Sotomayor’s life are well known by now, her searching and emotionally intimate memoir, “My Beloved World,” nonetheless has the power to surprise and move the reader. Whereas the justice’s legal writings have been described by reporters as dry, methodical and technical, this account of her life is revealing, keenly observed and deeply felt.

My Beloved World is filled with inspiring, and surprisingly candid, stories about how the Supreme Court's first Hispanic justice overcame a troubled childhood to attend Princeton and Yale Law School, eventually earning a seat on the nation's highest court. But readers hoping to gain insight from the book into how Ms. Sotomayor might rule in key cases will have to dig deep for hints of her legal philosophy. The book, which covers he life prior to becoming a judge, barely says a word about the Constitution and even less about ideology. Yet one doesn't get the sense that politics were scrubbed from the text; it is rather that the topic isn't of much interest to the author.
added by sgump | editWall Street Journal, Carla Main (Jan 18, 2013)

Perdonadle al desterrado
ese dulce frenesi
vuelvo a mi mundo adorado,
y yo estoy enamorado
de la tierra en que naci.

. . .
Forgive the exile
this sweet frenzy;
I return to my beloved world,
in love with the land where I was born.
- from "To Puerto Rico (I Return),"
by Jose Gautier Benitez
(Preface) Since my appointment to the Supreme Court, I have spoken to a wide variety of groups in different settings, answering all sorts of questions.
(Prologue) I was barely awake, and my mother was already screaming.
I was not yet eight years old when I was diagnosed with diabetes.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0307594882, Hardcover)

Amazon Best Books of the Month, January 2013: Happily, it is becoming a familiar story: The young, smart, and very hardworking son or daughter of immigrants rises to the top of American professional life. But already knowing the arc of Sonia Sotomayor’s biography doesn’t adequately prepare you for the sound of her voice in this winning memoir that ends, interestingly, before the Yale Law School grad was sworn in as the first Hispanic Supreme Court Justice. Hers is a voice that lands squarely between self-deprecating and proud, grateful and defiant; a voice lilted with bits of Puerto Rican poetry; a voice full of anger, sadness, ambition, and love. My Beloved World is one resonant, glorious tale of struggle and triumph. --Sara Nelson

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:05:52 -0400)

"An instant American icon--the first Hispanic on the U.S. Supreme Court--tells the story of her life before becoming a judge in an inspiring, surprisingly personal memoir. With startling candor and intimacy, Sonia Sotomayor recounts her life from a Bronx housing project to the federal bench, a progress that is testament to her extraordinary determination and the power of believing in oneself. She writes of her precarious childhood and the refuge she took with her passionately spirited paternal grandmother. She describes her resolve as a young girl to become a lawyer, and how she made this dream become reality: valedictorian of her high school class, summa cum laude at Princeton, Yale Law, prosecutor in the Manhattan D.A.'s office, private practice, federal district judge before the age of forty. She writes about her deeply valued mentors, about her failed marriage, about her cherished family of friends. Through her still-astonished eyes, America's infinite possibilities are envisioned anew in this ... book"--… (more)

126 wanted2 pay4 pay

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,269,379 books! | Top bar: Always visible