The Martian by Andy Weir

The Martian (2011)

by Andy Weir

Series: Mark Watney (1)

9,914857443 (4.27)3 / 827
Recently added bybradleybunch, sarahhepworth, CinnamonTree, private library, shedgeco, Jamten, gwengaudet, ShoemakerClassroom
Legacy LibrariesTim Spalding
    Red Mars by Kim Stanley Robinson (fichtennadel)
    Packing for Mars: The Curious Science of Life in the Void by Mary Roach (sboyte)
    sboyte: One is fiction and one is nonfiction, but the subject matter is similar and I think both will appeal to anyone who enjoys science with a dash of humor.
    The Right Stuff by Tom Wolfe (timspalding)
    A Fall of Moondust by Arthur C. Clarke (pnorth)
    The Mysterious Island by Jules Verne (rakerman)
    rakerman: In The Mysterious Island, a small group lands on an island with no technology other than a watch and proceed to rebuild Victorian industrial civilization. The scientific details of creating each new device and system are carefully described. In The Martian, similar care is taken to describe the modified systems and devices needed to sustain the astronaut on Mars.… (more)
    The Explorer by James Smythe (jonathankws)
    Seveneves by Neal Stephenson (hoddybook)
    hoddybook: Engineering solutions in stressful conditions.
    Failure is not an Option: Mission Control from Mercury to Apollo 13 and Beyond by Eugene Kranz (bertilak)
    Voyage by Stephen Baxter (dClauzel)
    dClauzel: Deux histoires autour du voyage vers Mars : comment y aller, et aussi comment en repartir. Problématiques scientifiques, difficultés d’ingénierie, et troubles politiques.
    Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore by Robin Sloan (sturlington)
    sturlington: Mr. Penumbra's reminded me in tone and its reverence for tech, geeks, and pop culture of both The Martian and Ready Player One.
    The Patriots of Mars: The God That Failed by Jeff Faria (heatherlove)
    Lost Moon: The Perilous Voyage of Apollo 13 by Jim Lovell (misericordia)
    misericordia: If you want to understand what a Steely Eyed Missile Man is, read Lost Moon.
    Year Zero by Rob Reid (TomWaitsTables)
    Mars Crossing by Geoffrey A. Landis (Anonymous user)
    Apollo: The Race to the Moon by Charles Murray (lturpin42)
    The Fated Sky: A Lady Astronaut Novel by Mary Robinette Kowal (Aquila)
    Dragonfly: NASA And The Crisis Aboard Mir by Bryan Burrough (misericordia)
    misericordia: For more reference to how NASA really works read Dragonfly
    Leviathan Wakes by James S. A. Corey (electronicmemory)
    electronicmemory: Andy Weir and James S. A. Corey met at a book signing and agreed that The Expanse series and The Martian set in the same time-line. So, if you're a fan of The Martian and want to find out what happened after Mars was colonized, read Leviathan Wakes. If you're a fan of The Expanse series, and want to read about the very first Martian colonist, read The Martian. For proof, check a 3 Oct 2015 tweet by @JamesSACorey for confirmation. One of The Expanse books also references a Martian ship named the 'Mark Watney'.… (more)

English (859)  German (8)  Spanish (4)  French (2)  Hungarian (2)  Dutch (2)  Catalan (1)  Danish (1)  Italian (1)  Turkish (1)  All languages (881)
The Martian is a story about a guy, Mark Watney, that has been left alive and alone on Mars, all the other astronauts have left the planet, they think he is dead and he will have to try to survive until they rescue him…if they rescue him since they don’t know that he is alive.

I’m may be a nerd in many ways but I’m sure as hell aren’t a science nerd. I decided to read The Martian after reading glowing reviews of the book on Goodreads, it sounded so fun and adventurous and it was… it was also a hell of a lot of science involved in the book. I mean in the beginning I tried to keep up but after a while, I just gave up and thought “ no I’m not in school anymore, I will not try to force myself to understand things that I will not be tested for later.”

But there are at least some bright spots in the book and it’s the humor for instance: “I was just one of her crew. Actually, I was the lowest ranked member of the crew. I would only be “in command” of the mission, if I were the only remaining person. What do you know? I’m in command.”

At least the ending was good and intense. So if you’ re looking for a space novel and are not afraid of science, chemistry or math (shuddering) then you will love this book.

Btw, the guy in the cover doesn’t he look like Val Kilmer? A young Val Kilmer…

Thank you Netgalley for providing me with a free copy for an honest review! ( )
  MaraBlaise | May 19, 2019 |
Since I'm one of the last people in the world to read this there isn't much for me to say except that I think it's as good as most people do. There is plenty of scientific jargon but I didn't think that slowed it down or tempered my enjoyment of it. Even as Sci Fi based in actual science (the later is an assumption on my part), it is a can't put down human story.
  clue | May 18, 2019 |
Wer wissen möchte, wie sich eine durch unglückliche Umstände auf dem Mars für tot gehaltene und deshalb von der restlichen Crew einer Marsmission zurückgelassene Mischung aus Scotty, MacGyver und einer sarkastischen Kodderschnauze mit allen möglichen Widrigkeiten herumschlägt, um eine Chance zur Rettung zu erhalten, der ist hier bestens bedient. Um nichts anderes geht es, keine Aliens, keine superduper Zukunftstechnologie, dafür etwas Ähnliches wie "Apollo 13" auf dem Mars, mit einer sehr gelungenen Mischung aus Techtalk und Humor. Für Liebhaber des Genres eine dicke Empfehlung! Und dazu der Beweis, dass Selfpublisher durchaus einen zweiten Blick wert sein können. ( )
  Horrortorte | May 17, 2019 |
I wanted to like this book because so many have raved about it, but I just didn't enjoy it. I did finish it because our book group will be discussing it in a couple of weeks. But for me, the hype far exceeds the book itself. If you like story problems, math, and MacGyver-like solutions for all the dilemmas the character encounters (and it's one thing after another all the way through the book), then read it. But consider this a warning - this is the author's debut novel and I think he needed more feedback and editing before it was published. ( )
  PhyllisReads | Apr 27, 2019 |
This book was the movie on steroids! this is a good thing, a great thing. it means that the movie stayed incredibly true to the book :) they key difference is how it all ends.

I adored Weir's writing style, and the nerd in me rejoiced at Watney's antics even more than I did with the film. Of course, having seen the film first, I kept picturing Matt Damon. Mental Fan-casting ruined. Alas, it was totally wicked :) Suffice it to say that I get why they picked Matt Damon, the character felt written for him. ( )
  thebacklistbook | Apr 24, 2019 |

who calls me "Pickle,"
and Dad,
who calls me "Dude."
I'm pretty much fucked.
Also, I have duct tape. Ordinary duct tape, like you buy at a hardware store. Turns out even NASA can't improve on duct tape.
I need to ask myself, "What would an Apollo astronaut do?" He'd drink three whiskey sours, drive his Corvette to the launchpad, then fly to the moon in a command module smaller than my Rover. Man, those guys were cool.
Yes, of course duct tape works in a near-vacuum. Duct tape works anywhere. Duct tape is magic and should be worshipped.
As with most of life's problems, this one can be solved by a box of pure radiation.
Hurray for standardized valve systems!
A MISSION TO MARS.

A FREAK ACCIDENT.

ONE MAN'S STRUGGLE TO SURVIVE.

Now he's sure he'll be the first person to die there.

After a dust storm nearly kills him and forces his crew to evacuate the planet while thinking him dead, Mark finds himself stranded on Mars, completely alone, with no way to signal Earth that he's alive. And even if he could get word out, his supplies would be gone years before a rescue could arrive.

Chances are, though, Mark won't have time to starve to death. The damaged machinery, unforgiving environment, or plain, old "human error" are much more likely to kill him first.

But Mark's not ready to quit. Armed with nothing but his ingenuity and his engineering skills — and a gallows sense of humor that proves to be his greatest source of strength — he embarks on a dogged quest to stay alive, using his botany expertise to grow food and even hatching a mad plan to contact NASA back on Earth.

As he overcomes one seemingly insurmountable obstacle after the next, Mark begins to let himself believe he might make it off the planet alive.

But Mars has plenty of surprises in store for him yet.

Grounded in real, present-day science from the first page to the last, yet propelled by a brilliantly ingenious plot that surprises the reader again and again, The Martian is a truly remarkable thriller — an impossible to put down suspense novel that manages to read like a real-life survival tale.

In a desert-sea

With little chance to survive

He will overcome

"Six days ago, astronaut Mark Watney became one of the first people to walk on Mars. Now, he's sure he'll be the first person to die there. After a dust storm nearly kills him and forces his crew to evacuate while thinking him dead, Mark finds himself stranded and completely alone with no way to even signal Earth that he's alive--and even if he could get word out, his supplies would be gone long before a rescue could arrive. Chances are, though, he won't have time to starve to death. The damaged machinery, unforgiving environment, or plain-old 'human error' are much more likely to kill him first. But Mark isn't ready to give up yet. Drawing on his ingenuity, his engineering skills--and a relentless, dogged refusal to quit--he steadfastly confronts one seemingly insurmountable obstacle after the next. Will his resourcefulness be enough to overcome the impossible odds against him?" --… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Andy Weir's book The Martian was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,881,487 books! | Top bar: Always visible