The Martian by Andy Weir

The Martian (original 2011; edition 2014)

by Andy Weir (Author)

9,812855447 (4.27)3 / 823
Member:fakelvis
Title:The Martian
Authors:Andy Weir (Author)
Info:Broadway Books (2014), Edition: Reprint, 387 pages

The Martian by Andy Weir (2011)

Red Mars by Kim Stanley Robinson (fichtennadel)
    Packing for Mars: The Curious Science of Life in the Void by Mary Roach (sboyte)
    sboyte: One is fiction and one is nonfiction, but the subject matter is similar and I think both will appeal to anyone who enjoys science with a dash of humor.
    The Right Stuff by Tom Wolfe (timspalding)
    A Fall of Moondust by Arthur C. Clarke (pnorth)
    The Mysterious Island by Jules Verne (rakerman)
    rakerman: In The Mysterious Island, a small group lands on an island with no technology other than a watch and proceed to rebuild Victorian industrial civilization. The scientific details of creating each new device and system are carefully described. In The Martian, similar care is taken to describe the modified systems and devices needed to sustain the astronaut on Mars.… (more)
    Seveneves by Neal Stephenson (hoddybook)
    hoddybook: Engineering solutions in stressful conditions.
    Failure is not an Option: Mission Control from Mercury to Apollo 13 and Beyond by Eugene Kranz (bertilak)
    Voyage by Stephen Baxter (dClauzel)
    dClauzel: Deux histoires autour du voyage vers Mars : comment y aller, et aussi comment en repartir. Problématiques scientifiques, difficultés d’ingénierie, et troubles politiques.
    Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore by Robin Sloan (sturlington)
    sturlington: Mr. Penumbra's reminded me in tone and its reverence for tech, geeks, and pop culture of both The Martian and Ready Player One.
    The Explorer by James Smythe (jonathankws)
    The Patriots of Mars: The God That Failed by Jeff Faria (heatherlove)
    Mars Crossing by Geoffrey A. Landis (Anonymous user)
    Lost Moon: The Perilous Voyage of Apollo 13 by Jim Lovell (misericordia)
    misericordia: If you want to understand what a Steely Eyed Missile Man is, read Lost Moon.
    Year Zero by Rob Reid (TomWaitsTables)
    Apollo: The Race to the Moon by Charles Murray (lturpin42)
    Dragonfly: NASA And The Crisis Aboard Mir by Bryan Burrough (misericordia)
    misericordia: For more reference to how NASA really works read Dragonfly
    Leviathan Wakes by James S. A. Corey (electronicmemory)
    electronicmemory: Andy Weir and James S. A. Corey met at a book signing and agreed that The Expanse series and The Martian set in the same time-line. So, if you're a fan of The Martian and want to find out what happened after Mars was colonized, read Leviathan Wakes. If you're a fan of The Expanse series, and want to read about the very first Martian colonist, read The Martian. For proof, check a 3 Oct 2015 tweet by @JamesSACorey for confirmation. One of The Expanse books also references a Martian ship named the 'Mark Watney'.… (more)

English (856)  German (8)  Spanish (4)  French (2)  Hungarian (2)  Catalan (1)  Dutch (1)  Danish (1)  Italian (1)  Turkish (1)  All languages (877)
This book was the movie on steroids! this is a good thing, a great thing. it means that the movie stayed incredibly true to the book :) they key difference is how it all ends.

I adored Weir's writing style, and the nerd in me rejoiced at Watney's antics even more than I did with the film. Of course, having seen the film first, I kept picturing Matt Damon. Mental Fan-casting ruined. Alas, it was totally wicked :) Suffice it to say that I get why they picked Matt Damon, the character felt written for him. ( )
  thebacklistbook | Apr 24, 2019 |
Excellent!
Five stars, because I can't give it six or seven. Really, I can't say enough about how excellent this was. Serious hard SF and a moving human story. Don't miss it! ( )
  mrklingon | Apr 22, 2019 |
I liked the book. I am told the movie wasn't so great but most of the book was inner dialog which is difficult to in movies. I was impressed by the amount of thought that went into these situations. I was a huge fan of MacGuyver and this was somewhat reminiscent of him. Things might have worked but odds were stacked against everything going right but you care enough about the character that you will it to work. I thought that it was a good combination of technology and math and science. It was a great book from a first-time author. ( )
  ISCCSandy | Apr 9, 2019 |
  ISCCSandy | Apr 9, 2019 |
My review is also available at: http://kyrosmagica.wordpress.com/2015/01/04/my-kyrosmagica-review-of-the-martian...

Mark Watney is a botanist, mechanical engineer, and one of the astronauts on the Ares program, a human guinea pig, alias Astronaut, sent to Mars. Unfortunately Mars isn't a very good host. Mars plays dirty. Forget sweetness and light. Instead Mars sends a welcoming dose of Category 5 hurricane winds, which pummels the crews MAV ("Mars Ascent Vehicle".) The crew make a mad dash for escape. Mark is left behind, with a punctured suit, (no party cocktail stick for poor Mark,) and his crew leave him behind believing him dead. Major guilt trip. Mark Watney becomes one of the first people to walk on hostile Mars but will he be one of the first to die there?

The Martian is told through two voices - Mark, in log form and the scientists at NASA trying their utmost to save him. On the whole this is done extremely well, and I didn't find the shift in voices a distraction.

The Martian is anything but boring. Though the title of the book is a little misleading. There are no alien beings in the book. Effectively Mark becomes the Martian, an unwilling inhabitant of Mars, an alien, human species trapped on an unforgiving, and intolerant Mars.

The first line of the book reads: "I'm pretty much fucked."

Mark is in deep shit, deep Martian shit. Mark has to battle hostile territory, looming starvation, a plethora of technical, and communication problems. But Mark doesn't allow the words, "give up," in his vocabulary. This guy must have been born with a positive stamp on his head. His catch phrase must be, Eliminate Doubt ........Lock it out! Forget about the Caution!

I know that some reviewers have criticised this aspect of Mark's character.

Is he too positive? Shouldn't he have at least one major melt down? I would counter this by saying that yes, Mark Watney is too positive for your ordinary Joe, but he's an astronaut, and astronauts are a special breed, heroic in pure essence form. Most of us mere mortals would think twice about getting on a mission to Mars. Mark Watney is believable because his humour illustrates his vulnerable human side. It is this astronaut's coping mechanism. You know how people respond to stress differently? Some talk more, some less, some speak fast, some tremble, fidget, pee loads, well Mark makes a joke out of his situation, and admits, "I'm pretty much fucked."

But Mark just wants to LIVE. The desire to live may not be programmed into his astronaut suit but it sure lives within his heart and soul. This is an inspiring tale of trying to overcome all the daunting obstacles to just survive, breathe, eat, sleep, another day. Even if that day is lonely, boring, and full of relentless tasks. When you break it down that's all that counts. SURVIVAL. He must:

LIVE.

In fact he kind of sees himself as a James Bond kind of hero.

Loved this quote: "Live another Sol would be an awesome name for a James Bond movie." Except he'd be Q! " Live Another Sol! (Starring Mark Watney as .... probably Q. I'm no James Bond.)"

I don't believe this for one moment, I think he has a secret desire to be James Bond, the returning astronaut hero who gets all the girls. Remember it's a long time since he's had female company, this guy is just longing to get l..... back to earth! Oops, nearly slipped my PG rating there.

To counterbalance the seriousness and complexity of the science Andy Weir applies it with a huge dollop of humour. Now, I love a chuckle and this book had me quietly giggling along and smiling like a crazy person so many times.

Mark Watney is just so appealing. You can't help but root for him. Anyone who has to survive on a potato diet, listen to disco, (which he hates), and run out of coffee, and caffeine pills, deserves a big hug. A huge one.

With no creature comforts, and an exceedingly boring diet of potatoes, (I really feel for you), he still has the resourcefulness to survive. And joke about it. Way to go.

I have to admit I shed a tiny tear at the end, I just found the ending so poignant.

The Martian would make a great movie. Can you just imagine the 3-D effects? Oh, and the laughter. I'd go. Any takers? I do believe this is releasing this year, directed by Ridley Scott and starring Matt Damon, scheduled for release in November 2015.

So whether you're a total science geek, a space exploration nut, or just a person like me who appreciates a good book, go buy a copy of The Martian. I was lucky to get my copy for Christmas! Thanks to my lovely daughter.

Heck, I can't believe this is Andy Weir's debut novel, an impressive first novel, having won this year's Goodread's Choice Award in the Science Fiction category.

No doubts about it, The Martian has to be a full Martian 5 stars. ( )
  marjorie.mallon | Mar 27, 2019 |

who calls me "Pickle,"
and Dad,
who calls me "Dude."
I'm pretty much fucked.
Also, I have duct tape. Ordinary duct tape, like you buy at a hardware store. Turns out even NASA can't improve on duct tape.
I need to ask myself, "What would an Apollo astronaut do?" He'd drink three whiskey sours, drive his Corvette to the launchpad, then fly to the moon in a command module smaller than my Rover. Man, those guys were cool.
Yes, of course duct tape works in a near-vacuum. Duct tape works anywhere. Duct tape is magic and should be worshipped.
As with most of life's problems, this one can be solved by a box of pure radiation.
Hurray for standardized valve systems!
A MISSION TO MARS.

A FREAK ACCIDENT.

ONE MAN'S STRUGGLE TO SURVIVE.

Now he's sure he'll be the first person to die there.

After a dust storm nearly kills him and forces his crew to evacuate the planet while thinking him dead, Mark finds himself stranded on Mars, completely alone, with no way to signal Earth that he's alive. And even if he could get word out, his supplies would be gone years before a rescue could arrive.

Chances are, though, Mark won't have time to starve to death. The damaged machinery, unforgiving environment, or plain, old "human error" are much more likely to kill him first.

But Mark's not ready to quit. Armed with nothing but his ingenuity and his engineering skills — and a gallows sense of humor that proves to be his greatest source of strength — he embarks on a dogged quest to stay alive, using his botany expertise to grow food and even hatching a mad plan to contact NASA back on Earth.

As he overcomes one seemingly insurmountable obstacle after the next, Mark begins to let himself believe he might make it off the planet alive.

But Mars has plenty of surprises in store for him yet.

Grounded in real, present-day science from the first page to the last, yet propelled by a brilliantly ingenious plot that surprises the reader again and again, The Martian is a truly remarkable thriller — an impossible to put down suspense novel that manages to read like a real-life survival tale.

In a desert-sea

With little chance to survive

He will overcome

"Six days ago, astronaut Mark Watney became one of the first people to walk on Mars. Now, he's sure he'll be the first person to die there. After a dust storm nearly kills him and forces his crew to evacuate while thinking him dead, Mark finds himself stranded and completely alone with no way to even signal Earth that he's alive--and even if he could get word out, his supplies would be gone long before a rescue could arrive. Chances are, though, he won't have time to starve to death. The damaged machinery, unforgiving environment, or plain-old 'human error' are much more likely to kill him first. But Mark isn't ready to give up yet. Drawing on his ingenuity, his engineering skills--and a relentless, dogged refusal to quit--he steadfastly confronts one seemingly insurmountable obstacle after the next. Will his resourcefulness be enough to overcome the impossible odds against him?" --… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Andy Weir's book The Martian was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,203,791 books! | Top bar: Always visible