The Martian by Andy Weir

The Martian (original 2011; edition 2014)

by Andy Weir (Author)

9,045808497 (4.26)3 / 807
Member:fakelvis
Title:The Martian
Authors:Andy Weir (Author)
Info:Broadway Books (2014), Edition: Reprint, 387 pages

The Martian by Andy Weir (2011)

Red Mars by Kim Stanley Robinson (fichtennadel)
    Packing for Mars: The Curious Science of Life in the Void by Mary Roach (sboyte)
    sboyte: One is fiction and one is nonfiction, but the subject matter is similar and I think both will appeal to anyone who enjoys science with a dash of humor.
    A Fall of Moondust by Arthur C. Clarke (pnorth)
    The Right Stuff by Tom Wolfe (timspalding)
    The Mysterious Island by Jules Verne (rakerman)
    rakerman: In The Mysterious Island, a small group lands on an island with no technology other than a watch and proceed to rebuild Victorian industrial civilization. The scientific details of creating each new device and system are carefully described. In The Martian, similar care is taken to describe the modified systems and devices needed to sustain the astronaut on Mars.… (more)
    The Explorer by James Smythe (jonathankws)
    Failure is not an Option: Mission Control from Mercury to Apollo 13 and Beyond by Eugene Kranz (bertilak)
    Seveneves by Neal Stephenson (hoddybook)
    hoddybook: Engineering solutions in stressful conditions.
    Voyage by Stephen Baxter (dClauzel)
    dClauzel: Deux histoires autour du voyage vers Mars : comment y aller, et aussi comment en repartir. Problématiques scientifiques, difficultés d’ingénierie, et troubles politiques.
    Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore by Robin Sloan (sturlington)
    sturlington: Mr. Penumbra's reminded me in tone and its reverence for tech, geeks, and pop culture of both The Martian and Ready Player One.
    The Patriots of Mars: The God That Failed by Jeff Faria (heatherlove)
    Mars Crossing by Geoffrey A. Landis (Anonymous user)
    Lost Moon: The Perilous Voyage of Apollo 13 by Jim Lovell (misericordia)
    misericordia: If you want to understand what a Steely Eyed Missile Man is, read Lost Moon.
    Year Zero by Rob Reid (TomWaitsTables)
    Apollo: The Race to the Moon by Charles Murray (lturpin42)
    Dragonfly: NASA And The Crisis Aboard Mir by Bryan Burrough (misericordia)
    misericordia: For more reference to how NASA really works read Dragonfly
    Leviathan Wakes by James S. A. Corey (electronicmemory)
    electronicmemory: Andy Weir and James S. A. Corey met at a book signing and agreed that The Expanse series and The Martian set in the same time-line. So, if you're a fan of The Martian and want to find out what happened after Mars was colonized, read Leviathan Wakes. If you're a fan of The Expanse series, and want to read about the very first Martian colonist, read The Martian. For proof, check a 3 Oct 2015 tweet by @JamesSACorey for confirmation. One of The Expanse books also references a Martian ship named the 'Mark Watney'.… (more)

English (811)  German (7)  Spanish (3)  French (2)  Hungarian (2)  Dutch (1)  Catalan (1)  Turkish (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (829)
This is one of the best books I have ever read. I prefer non-fiction, but I really liked this book. It seemed like it could happen. The main character was someone I think I would like to meet. ( )
  shelbycassie | Aug 6, 2018 |
A great read. Mark Watney is marooned alone on Mars. Threw was forced to evacuate Mars due to a strong dust storm. During the evacuation, Mark was as hurt by debris which knocked out the tracking system on his spacesuit. Thecrew thought he was dead and couldn’t find him. Mark woke up alone on Mars. He, fortunately, had the Habitat to live in and some rations along with a variety of equipment. Communication and a renewable food source were his main concerns. NASA frantically worked on a way to try to rescue Mark. However, rescue was years away, if ever. Told in a journal form, Mark takes us through his daily routines of survival. It was an interesting perspective on the possible outcomes of a Mars expedition. Fun reading for me. ( )
  Raspberrymocha | Jul 27, 2018 |
You know what? I'm glad I didn't read this last year, otherwise I'd have had a difficult time choosing between this and 'I Am Pilgrim' for my favourite book of 2014.

The protagonist, Mark Watney, is a rare creature - stranded on Mars after a horrendous incident that sparks an emergency evacuation by he and his crew, it's only his sense of humour and scientific knowledge that can keep him alive in the hope of rescue. He's even more likeable because he's, well, normal!

There are moments in this book where you'll be on the edge of your seat, just before you collapse in a heap giggling, only to have your heart racing the very next minute as another of his plans to survive nearly kills him in the process.

The tension is ratcheted up a further notch by the author's clever way of showing the reader what's going on back on Earth as the NASA team try to work out a way to rescue their astronaut.

'The Martian' is something very special, one of those novels that effortlessly bridges the gap between genres. Sci-fi fans will love this as much as thriller fans, and it's even more exciting that this is the product of an indie author whose attention to detail and compelling story-telling had me enthralled.

Can't wait for the movie. Don't stuff it up, Ridley Scott and Matt Damon! ( )
  RachelAmphlett | Jul 23, 2018 |
Narrated by a terrific reader, The Martian was a fun rollercoaster for road-trip listening. ( )
  msmilton | Jul 18, 2018 |

who calls me "Pickle,"
and Dad,
who calls me "Dude."
I'm pretty much fucked.
Also, I have duct tape. Ordinary duct tape, like you buy at a hardware store. Turns out even NASA can't improve on duct tape.
I need to ask myself, "What would an Apollo astronaut do?" He'd drink three whiskey sours, drive his Corvette to the launchpad, then fly to the moon in a command module smaller than my Rover. Man, those guys were cool.
Yes, of course duct tape works in a near-vacuum. Duct tape works anywhere. Duct tape is magic and should be worshipped.
As with most of life's problems, this one can be solved by a box of pure radiation.
Hurray for standardized valve systems!
A MISSION TO MARS.

A FREAK ACCIDENT.

ONE MAN'S STRUGGLE TO SURVIVE.

Now he's sure he'll be the first person to die there.

After a dust storm nearly kills him and forces his crew to evacuate the planet while thinking him dead, Mark finds himself stranded on Mars, completely alone, with no way to signal Earth that he's alive. And even if he could get word out, his supplies would be gone years before a rescue could arrive.

Chances are, though, Mark won't have time to starve to death. The damaged machinery, unforgiving environment, or plain, old "human error" are much more likely to kill him first.

But Mark's not ready to quit. Armed with nothing but his ingenuity and his engineering skills — and a gallows sense of humor that proves to be his greatest source of strength — he embarks on a dogged quest to stay alive, using his botany expertise to grow food and even hatching a mad plan to contact NASA back on Earth.

As he overcomes one seemingly insurmountable obstacle after the next, Mark begins to let himself believe he might make it off the planet alive.

But Mars has plenty of surprises in store for him yet.

Grounded in real, present-day science from the first page to the last, yet propelled by a brilliantly ingenious plot that surprises the reader again and again, The Martian is a truly remarkable thriller — an impossible to put down suspense novel that manages to read like a real-life survival tale.

In a desert-sea

With little chance to survive

He will overcome

"Six days ago, astronaut Mark Watney became one of the first people to walk on Mars. Now, he's sure he'll be the first person to die there. After a dust storm nearly kills him and forces his crew to evacuate while thinking him dead, Mark finds himself stranded and completely alone with no way to even signal Earth that he's alive--and even if he could get word out, his supplies would be gone long before a rescue could arrive. Chances are, though, he won't have time to starve to death. The damaged machinery, unforgiving environment, or plain-old 'human error' are much more likely to kill him first. But Mark isn't ready to give up yet. Drawing on his ingenuity, his engineering skills--and a relentless, dogged refusal to quit--he steadfastly confronts one seemingly insurmountable obstacle after the next. Will his resourcefulness be enough to overcome the impossible odds against him?" --… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Andy Weir's book The Martian was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,106,717 books! | Top bar: Always visible