Red Kite, Blue Kite by Ji-li Jiang

Red Kite, Blue Kite

by Ji-li Jiang

A father and his son always fly kites together, then they are separated and fly kites in the distance to communicate with each other until one day they are united.
  jengro3 | May 10, 2018 |
This story would be good to use in the classroom during lessons over people who have had to endured great feats. It could teach children to not give up on people because you could be what is keeping them going. The story line showed how quick something could change. ( )
  KrystalKeroack | Mar 17, 2018 |
The setting of this book is in China at a time known as the Cultural Revolution. Tai Shan and his father enjoy flying their red and blue kites together until one-day people wearing red armbands takes his father away. Tai Shan's father, Baba, is sent to work in a labor camp. Baba visits every Sunday until he no longer is able to. Baba tells Tai Shan that they will communicate by flying their kites for each other to see. Tai Shan feels connected to his father until he doesn't see his father kite for three days. He father escapes to tell Tai Shan he will be moved to another labor camp. Tai Shan continues to fly his kites until one day he sees a dozen kites. His father has returned and has brought kites for everyone.

I enjoyed the book very much. It made me aware of the little amount of knowledge I have on this subject. I believe multicultural books are a must read for children so that they have a border understanding of not only American history but histories of other cultures. Out of all my years of schooling, I don't believe I have heard about China's Cultural Revolution not even once. I can also see this book being read to children we are separated from their parents to help reassure them that sometimes parents cannot be with you physically, but that they are still thinking of them. ( )
  KimWalker85 | Feb 16, 2018 |
Tai Shan and his father, Baba, love to fly kites together. When Baba is taken away to a labor camp during China's Cultural Revolution, the two of them find a way to use kites to bring comfort and connection during their separation.

I found myself completely enthralled while reading this book. The beautiful, incredibly emotional illustrations tug at your heart, and, along with Tai Shin, I longed for Baba to come home once again. This would be a great book to introduce children to China's Cultural Revolution. ( )
  CathyInWA | Jul 20, 2017 |
This is a lovely little book that will leave you with tears in your eyes. A little boy, whose mother has already died, loses his father to a labor camp prison during the so called Cultural revolution of China. The boy is taken to live in a nearby village and grows up longing to see his father who is across the forest in the camp. He sees his father on Sundays, until one time his father says that he will not see him for a while. To communicate, they will fly their kites in the air. One day, of course, his father's kite doesn't show in the sky. I have a horrible feeling in the pit of my stomach that the author is giving us a nice out with the eventual reunion of father and son, when in reality, I doubt the father ever comes back at all. Heartbreaking, and potent, this is a beautiful story about what it means to have family, and love. ( )
  BrindelStubbs | Jun 12, 2017 |
To Baba and Mama, who experienced similar tragedy during that dark time, but survived with great courage --J.J.
To my two boys, Emmett and Nate, who remind me each and every day of the irrepressible power of love and hope in difficult times --G.R.

When Tai Shan and his father, Baba, are separated during China's Cultural Revolution, they are able to stay close by greeting one another every day with flying kites until Baba, like the kites, is free. Includes historical note.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,762,656 books! | Top bar: Always visible