Member:
Info:
Collections:
Tags:Read, Fantasy, Series

Magic of Thieves by C. Greenwood

I read this book because it was offered for free through the BookBub website. As with most free ebooks, I had low expectations. However, the author surprised me with the colorful characters, the straightforward writing, and the interesting story. While it is probably not something I will read again, I consider it an hour well spent. I recommend it to young people (or slightly older people like myself) who are fans of the "Ranger's Apprentice" series. ( )
  ChelseaBerumez | Jan 31, 2014 |
A fantasy-world coming of age story, more "a few years in the life of" rather than a plot-based book with a problem to be solved, a journey to be taken, etc. I can't say I found the main character all that likable. Too much teenaged angst, not enough thinking about other people until it's too late. This one's good for teenagers and YA, and I guess the cover should have warned me, huh? ( )
  GunnarGrey | Jul 13, 2013 |
I received this book in exchange for an honest review. I have to say that I really enjoyed this book. It was a short read, but the characters were well written and the story line was easy to follow.The characters we interesting, some you wanted to hate and others you just wanted to protect. I look forward to the next book in the series. ( )
  DawnGenna | May 11, 2013 |
  DawnGenna | May 11, 2013 |
I enjoyed both books. Am looking forward to the next books in the series! ( )
  Crazy_Bunny_Lady | Apr 17, 2013 |
A compelling and thoroughly enjoyable young adult fantasy book. It is part one of a series to come. (Personally I would love to see works like this published as one volume, but alas, the publishing business demands otherwise.) I really liked the story that starts and begins to develop here in Act One.
The writing is rich and satisfying without resorting to too many cliches or plodding narrative. The author serves up a ponderous protagonist named Ilan in first person POV. She evokes an enigma while at the time compels the reader to compassion. Her conflicts are poignant, her motivations complicated, and her morality pleasantly murky.
The plot line comes off as natural and original not stuffy or contrived. The setting is a bit standard fantasy fare, but I found the concept of magic as empathy fresh and interesting.
I will eagerly await reading about the rest of the journey.

The brisk autumn wind plays through my hair and tugs at my clothes impatiently, as if trying to pull me down the forest trail more quickly.

In a province where magic is forbidden and its possessors are murdered by the magickless, young Ilan has only one hope for survival. Concealment. In the shadow of Dimmingwood, she finds temporary protection among a band of forest brigands led by the infamous outlaw Rideon the Red Hand. But when old enemies reappear and new friendships lead to betrayal, will Ilan’s magic and the power of her enchanted bow be enough to save her?

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,665,671 books! | Top bar: Always visible