Member:
Info:
Collections:
Tags:Read, Fantasy, Series

Magic of Thieves by C. Greenwood

Recently added byMadison_Keller, miss_twilight, kit-010, private library, morandia, diana.n, ksd2, hohosmurf, IceQueenTN

This book starts out strong with lots of potential. The book starts when Ilan is a very young girl. The country they live in does a cleansing, killing all those with magic power. Ilan manages to escape, by using her magic to kill one of the guys chasing them – although her parents aren’t so lucky. A neighbor finds her, and pays for passage out of the country for Ilan with an old peddler.

On the road, the peddler gets attacked by bandits and killed. One of the bandits feels sorry for Ilan, and, not realizing she has magical powers, drops her off at the nearest town. However, Ilan follows him back to the camp. The bandits feel sorry for her and raise her as one of their own.

This is where the book lost my interest. The synopsis makes it sound like Ilan is running around the forest practicing magic and having adventures. By my count, Ilan does magic exactly twice in the book. Almost nothing happens for the remainder of the book. Ilan makes one friend, and she is horrible to him. I could not get attached to any of the characters or care what happened to any of them, because none of them had any likable characteristics.

The book isn’t badly written, its just horribly dull. She finds the magical bow at the end of the very last chapter, and doesn’t use it once in the book to do anything. I’m not really even sure who the old enemy is that was referred to, because nothing came up by the end of the book. Maybe that all happens in book 2? Regardless, I won’t be reading any farther. ( )
  Madison_Keller | Sep 14, 2014 |
I read this book because it was offered for free through the BookBub website. As with most free ebooks, I had low expectations. However, the author surprised me with the colorful characters, the straightforward writing, and the interesting story. While it is probably not something I will read again, I consider it an hour well spent. I recommend it to young people (or slightly older people like myself) who are fans of the "Ranger's Apprentice" series. ( )
  ChelseaBerumez | Jan 31, 2014 |
A fantasy-world coming of age story, more "a few years in the life of" rather than a plot-based book with a problem to be solved, a journey to be taken, etc. I can't say I found the main character all that likable. Too much teenaged angst, not enough thinking about other people until it's too late. This one's good for teenagers and YA, and I guess the cover should have warned me, huh? ( )
  GunnarGrey | Jul 13, 2013 |
I received this book in exchange for an honest review. I have to say that I really enjoyed this book. It was a short read, but the characters were well written and the story line was easy to follow.The characters we interesting, some you wanted to hate and others you just wanted to protect. I look forward to the next book in the series. ( )
  DawnGenna | May 11, 2013 |
  DawnGenna | May 11, 2013 |
A compelling and thoroughly enjoyable young adult fantasy book. It is part one of a series to come. (Personally I would love to see works like this published as one volume, but alas, the publishing business demands otherwise.) I really liked the story that starts and begins to develop here in Act One.
The writing is rich and satisfying without resorting to too many cliches or plodding narrative. The author serves up a ponderous protagonist named Ilan in first person POV. She evokes an enigma while at the time compels the reader to compassion. Her conflicts are poignant, her motivations complicated, and her morality pleasantly murky.
The plot line comes off as natural and original not stuffy or contrived. The setting is a bit standard fantasy fare, but I found the concept of magic as empathy fresh and interesting.
I will eagerly await reading about the rest of the journey.

The brisk autumn wind plays through my hair and tugs at my clothes impatiently, as if trying to pull me down the forest trail more quickly.

In a province where magic is forbidden and its possessors are murdered by the magickless, young Ilan has only one hope for survival. Concealment. In the shadow of Dimmingwood, she finds temporary protection among a band of forest brigands led by the infamous outlaw Rideon the Red Hand. But when old enemies reappear and new friendships lead to betrayal, will Ilan’s magic and the power of her enchanted bow be enough to save her?

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,710,201 books! | Top bar: Always visible