The Impossible Lives of Greta Wells by…

The Impossible Lives of Greta Wells (2013)

by Andrew Sean Greer

English (50)  German (2)  All languages (52)
I love time travel but just couldn't get into this book. ( )
  readingfiend | Feb 24, 2019 |
Excellent.
Beautifully written, thought provoking, and deep.

Greta's journey in this book is incredible.
First her twin brother dies, leaving her heartbroken because he was her closest friend. When he dies, it's like a piece of her is missing. If that alone wasn't bad enough, she now has to deal with the end of her ten year long relationship with her boyfriend Nathan. Her parents are long gone and the only one she has left in the world is her Aunt Ruth.

Greta goes for therapy, the doctors keep trying to help and one day decide on the most extreme course of treatment. Greta is giving a treatment like electric shock therapy that she's warned may cause delusions.

After the first treatment, Greta wakes in 1918. After her second treatment she wakes in the 1940's. Each body she inhabits is also a Greta, each one has a Nathan, but the other Greta's both still have their brother.

Greta gets fairly accustomed to this new cycle, floating back and forth between these lives and her current day. She's not delusional, she's actually another version of herself in each of these lives.

She's faced with some tough decisions, one of them being whether to go back to her real life or stay in one of these alternate lives.
Can you imagine? Her brother isn't dead, her boyfriend hasn't left her, but everything else is different. Could she be happy in her real life without her brother Felix? Is she even supposed to be with Nathan? And how will each decision she makes affect the lives of the other Greta's?

I loved it. Very unique. The characters are so well written and each experience and emotion so well described that you feel like you're part of Greta's journey too. ( )
1 vote Mishale1 | Dec 29, 2018 |
This was a really interesting book - I enjoyed the premise very much. Mr. Greer's prose can be a bit flowery at times, but the book is well researched and well-written. I confess, I want to know what happens next with Greta(s), Leo, et al. ( )
  decaturmamaof2 | Nov 28, 2018 |
I thoroughly enjoyed this book and the premise behind it. Imagine having more than one choice for the life you want to live, all with different challenges jos and sorrows
Then to be able to choose which suits your strengths and your needs while knowing what you're scraficing to choose that life. ( )
  LindaWeeks | May 14, 2018 |
I did not enjoy this book at all. The exact way the whole time travel thing worked is still kind of a mystery to me. The logistics don't really make sense. I found Greta unlikable for the most part. I really hated the gay agenda this book had. Wouldn't have read it had I known. The storyline in general was not that interesting to me. It's unrealistic to think that unmarried mom Greta and openly gay Felix lived happily ever after in 1919. Sorry I wasted my time with this one. ( )
  Aseleener | Mar 24, 2018 |
„Was wäre, wenn?“ Eine Frage, die interessante und verrückte Ideen zu Tage bringen kann. Ein unmögliches Leben ist das Szenario einer in der Zeit ‚verrückten‘ Frau: Eine genetisch gleiche, 36jährige Greta Wells gibt es jeweils in den Jahren 1985, 1918, 1941. Drei Existenzen, die hier miteinander verschlungen werden. Was wäre, wenn eine Frau all diese Leben in all diesen Zeiten erleben könnte? Was wäre anders? Was wäre gleich? Und die wichtigste Frage: Wäre es ein besseres Leben?

For my mothers, grandmothers, and all the women in my life.
The impossible happens only once to each of us.
The possibilities. Is there any greater pain to know what could be, and yet be powerless to make it be?
I knew that not all lives are equal, that the time we live in affects the person we are, more than I had ever thought. Some have a harder chance. Some get no chance at all. With great sadness, I saw so many people born in the wrong time to be happy.
How often in life do people make that awful sacrifice, that murder of possibilities?

"After the death of her beloved twin brother, Felix, and the breakup with her longtime lover, Nathan, Greta Wells embarks on a radical psychiatric treatment to alleviate her suffocating depression. But the treatment has unexpected effects, and Greta finds herself transported to the lives she might have had if she'd been born in different eras."--from publisher's description.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,912,162 books! | Top bar: Always visible