Captain Marvel - Volume 1: In Pursuit of…

Captain Marvel - Volume 1: In Pursuit of Flight (Marvel Now) (edition 2013)

by Kelly Sue Deconnick, Dexter Soy (Illustrator), Emma Rios (Illustrator)

129993,299 ()4
Member:davidscarter
Title:Captain Marvel - Volume 1: In Pursuit of Flight (Marvel Now)
Authors:Kelly Sue Deconnick
Other authors:Dexter Soy (Illustrator), Emma Rios (Illustrator)
Info:Marvel (2013), Paperback, 136 pages
Rating:***

Captain Marvel Volume 1: In Pursuit of Flight by Kelly Sue Deconnick

Absolutely wonderful. I'm not a huge fan of time travel, but it worked for me here. Carol finds herself tossed back in time and has to figure out how to get back to present day without screwing up the past...too much.

I love how Carol's past and the connections she's forged with her friends plays into the plot. I'm definitely becoming a Kelly Sue DeConnick fan-girl. Can't wait to read more in this series. ( )
  Book_Minx | Jan 24, 2015 |
I am now a big fan of Kelly Sue DeConnick. ( )
  KVHardy | Jan 2, 2015 |
I wanted to like this book a lot more than I did. I'm a sucker for strong female heroines, and I particularly like the idea of making Ms. Marvel in particular the new Captain Marvel, not only because she takes the title from a man, but because Carol Danvers has a particularly complex history in terms of feminism within comic books, what with being basically raped and having the Avengers largely not care many decades ago.

The book starts out great, with Ms. Marvel fighting side-by-side with Captain America. She's a complete bad-ass, sassing ol' Cap constantly and explaining at one point she outranks him. She struggles a bit with the idea of adopting the Captain Marvel mantle, but at the end decides "I'm taking the damn name" in a full-page frame that is iconic and timeless.

After this, however, things go downhill. Not for character reasons, Danvers stays a strong, badass protagonist that I really enjoyed. No, they go downhill because the story becomes extremely convoluted, with time travel and wormholes and worrying about meeting her other self and all sorts of crazy weirdness. Frankly I found it confusing, and it made it hard to focus on the story because it just seemed so convoluted and weird.

The first issue is a fantastic introduction to this character, and is an absolute must-read, particularly if Captain Marvel is to become, as I suspect, the poster child for strong female heroes in the Marvel universe. But unfortunately, the remaining 5 issues collected into Volume 1 are each worse than the previous one, ending with one that was so poorly written I could barely believe it was done by the same people who created the amazing first issue.

The art, it must be said, is stunning, at least for the first 3 issues. It's a very unique visual style that I don't think I've really seen before, and it should be called out as being particularly cool.

All in all, not bad, and the first issue is so excellent it makes up for the increasingly lackluster remaining issues, but I really hope the next volume is better. ( )
  rodhilton | Nov 14, 2014 |
An awesome story about regret, guilt, and all-around badassery. And, finally, a superhero costume for a woman that is awesome...

Highly Recommended ( )
  kayceel | Oct 10, 2014 |
I did this backwards. Somehow I ended up following DeConnick on tumblr before I'd ever read any of her comics. I really liked her from her tumblr, then was surprised to find the library didn't have anything by her, especially as it seems she's fairly prolific. So I suggested this volume as a library purchase, and was pleased when it came in pretty quickly.

It seems that I can finally lay to rest both my declaration to be taking a break from superhero comics and also the need to apologize/explain when I keep going back. Because I'm definitely following both this and Hawkeye, and will probably look into other titles written by DeConnick & Fraction.

This volume was basically everything I'd come to expect from DeConnick's tumblr and more. A rich variety of female characters, not just now but across time. Some who liked each other, some who tolerated each other, and some who thought they liked each other until their agendas came into conflict. There is one kind of fanservicey shot of Ms. Marvel's ass that made me roll my eyes, but as there was an equal opportunity shot of Captain America on the facing page, I'll let it slide. This volume also does an above average job of what every new reboot has to do: manage to introduce enough backstory while simultaneously moving the story forward so that new readers feel neither lost not bored.

There are a lot of fantastical elements: time travel, alien technology, superpower transfers. But Carol (Ms./Captain Marvel) is so human/humane that it balances out.

A great first volume. I'm very curious to see where this series goes. ( )
  greeniezona | Sep 20, 2014 |

The "Mightiest" of Earth's Mightiest Heroes is back! Ace pilot. Legendary Avenger. One hundred percent pure bad-^&*. Carol Danvers has a new name, a new mission - and all the power she needs to make her own life a living hell. As the new Captain Marvel, Carol is forging from a challenge from her past! It's a firefight in the sky as the Banshee Squadron debut - but who are the Prowlers, and where has Carol seen them before? And how does secret NASA training program Mercury 13 fit in? Witness Captain Marvel in blazing battlefield action that just may change the course of history! Avengers Time Travel Protocols: engage!

COLLECTING: Captain Marvel 1-6

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:44:41 -0400)

After changing her superhero name, Captain Marvel tries to live up to the legacy of her fallen predecessor, while facing a time-traveling adventure that's intricately linked with the woman who inspired her military career.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 95,688,033 books! | Top bar: Always visible