Captain Marvel - Volume 1: In Pursuit of…

Captain Marvel - Volume 1: In Pursuit of Flight (Marvel Now) (edition 2013)

by Kelly Sue Deconnick, Emma Rios (Illustrator), Dexter Soy (Illustrator)

Member:davidscarter
Title:Captain Marvel - Volume 1: In Pursuit of Flight (Marvel Now)
Authors:Kelly Sue Deconnick
Other authors:Emma Rios (Illustrator), Dexter Soy (Illustrator)
Info:Marvel (2013), Paperback, 136 pages
Rating:***

Captain Marvel Volume 1: In Pursuit of Flight by Kelly Sue Deconnick

I’ve always enjoyed Ms. Marvel when she appeared in the various Avengers runs. I was excited when I saw that not only was she getting her own series in the Marvel Now launch, but she would finally be CAPTAIN Marvel also. I had high expectations, which were met and exceeded by this new take on the character.

It’s tough to pull off time travel stories without falling on your face, but DeConnick has done one of the best I have ever read. After being convinced by Captain America to take on the “Captain”, Carol inherits a T6 plane from her personal hero, pilot Helen Cobb. During her first flight, something happens that propels her to 1943 where a band of female soldiers are holding off Japanese soldiers with alien tech. And it only gets better from there with Carol jumping around in time, meeting the brave women who had to face extreme sexism to even become pilots, and learning about herself in the process.

Not only was I happy to see Carol finally become the Captain, but her redesigned costume is awesome. I particularly like the retractable “cowl” when she flies or goes into battle. And the sash around her waist isn’t just for decoration, Tony Stark designed it! I don’t usually comment on artwork since it’s so subjective, and I was sure I’d hate it anyway because I do not like the cover art on this trade. However, the inside art is nothing like the cover and it is brilliant! Not only is the art beautifully rendered, but it also works perfectly for every part of the story.

Overall, Captain Marvel is everything I’ve been looking for in a superheroine. The writing is excellent and has made me eager for more. Oh, and Marvel, get this woman her own damn movie stat! ( )
  jshillingford | Jun 5, 2014 |
I've never really read too much about Ms. Marvel aka Carol Danvers. I knew about who she was though a few of the Avengers Comics, but not much else. This title, her first in her new role as Captain Marvel was awesome, and made me realize just how much I was missing.

Carol Danvers is such a great character, and Kelly Sue DeConnick makes her both sassy and strong, but not bitchy. It's also an excellent introduction to the character (at least it was for me). We get to know both the current incarnation of Carol Danvers, but also quite a bit about her pas and her origin story without it seeming like an 'Origin Story'.

I liked some of the art at the beginning. The darks and lights and shadows were awesome, but, then at the end of this TPB there was an issue that just seemed like chicken scratch art that I really, really didn't like.

Overall though it was a great story and a great TPB. ( )
  DanieXJ | May 22, 2014 |
I think I'm completely new to Captain Marvel -- I've heard bits about her, and about the original Mar-Vell, but I haven't read a comic featuring Carol Danvers yet as far as I can remember. If I have, and I've forgotten, shame on me, but this makes for a great introduction: I fell right in love with the character. She's unabashedly completely kickass, she's gorgeous (the art is gorgeous, though I preferred Dexter Soy's work to Emma Rios'), she cares, and I don't think she knows how to give up.

I loved how jam-packed with amazing women this issue is. Some of this was obviously more difficult to get than others, since I didn't really know Carol's origin story or abilities, but I enjoyed her relationship with Tracy -- the last couple of pages are awesome for that, funny and sweet at the same time -- and with Helen Cobb, and there's nothing difficult about the concept of the Banshee Squad (who practically deserve their own comic).

My main complaint?

Make it longer! I want more of Carol's badassery. ( )
  shanaqui | Oct 20, 2013 |
Interesting and clever time travel script exploring Carol's motivation, with a strong line of feminism. Shame about the art, though - very clever but low on visual storytelling and drawing human features (I had trouble recognising Captain America for pity's sake!) ( )
  Lil_Shepherd | Feb 21, 2013 |

The "Mightiest" of Earth's Mightiest Heroes is back! Ace pilot. Legendary Avenger. One hundred percent pure bad-^&*. Carol Danvers has a new name, a new mission - and all the power she needs to make her own life a living hell. As the new Captain Marvel, Carol is forging from a challenge from her past! It's a firefight in the sky as the Banshee Squadron debut - but who are the Prowlers, and where has Carol seen them before? And how does secret NASA training program Mercury 13 fit in? Witness Captain Marvel in blazing battlefield action that just may change the course of history! Avengers Time Travel Protocols: engage!

COLLECTING: Captain Marvel 1-6

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:44:41 -0400)

After changing her superhero name, Captain Marvel tries to live up to the legacy of her fallen predecessor, while facing a time-traveling adventure that's intricately linked with the woman who inspired her military career.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,655,063 books! | Top bar: Always visible