Captain Marvel - Volume 1: In Pursuit of…

Captain Marvel - Volume 1: In Pursuit of Flight (Marvel Now) (edition 2013)

by Kelly Sue Deconnick, Dexter Soy (Illustrator), Emma Rios (Illustrator)

76None157,385 (3.76)2
Member:davidscarter
Title:Captain Marvel - Volume 1: In Pursuit of Flight (Marvel Now)
Authors:Kelly Sue Deconnick
Other authors:Dexter Soy (Illustrator), Emma Rios (Illustrator)
Info:Marvel (2013), Paperback, 136 pages
Rating:***

Captain Marvel Volume 1: In Pursuit of Flight by Kelly Sue Deconnick

I think I'm completely new to Captain Marvel -- I've heard bits about her, and about the original Mar-Vell, but I haven't read a comic featuring Carol Danvers yet as far as I can remember. If I have, and I've forgotten, shame on me, but this makes for a great introduction: I fell right in love with the character. She's unabashedly completely kickass, she's gorgeous (the art is gorgeous, though I preferred Dexter Soy's work to Emma Rios'), she cares, and I don't think she knows how to give up.

I loved how jam-packed with amazing women this issue is. Some of this was obviously more difficult to get than others, since I didn't really know Carol's origin story or abilities, but I enjoyed her relationship with Tracy -- the last couple of pages are awesome for that, funny and sweet at the same time -- and with Helen Cobb, and there's nothing difficult about the concept of the Banshee Squad (who practically deserve their own comic).

My main complaint?

Make it longer! I want more of Carol's badassery. ( )
  shanaqui | Oct 20, 2013 |
Interesting and clever time travel script exploring Carol's motivation, with a strong line of feminism. Shame about the art, though - very clever but low on visual storytelling and drawing human features (I had trouble recognising Captain America for pity's sake!) ( )
  Lil_Shepherd | Feb 21, 2013 |
Information from the Portuguese (Brazil) Common Knowledge. Edit to localize it to the English one.

The "Mightiest" of Earth's Mightiest Heroes is back! Ace pilot. Legendary Avenger. One hundred percent pure bad-^&*. Carol Danvers has a new name, a new mission - and all the power she needs to make her own life a living hell. As the new Captain Marvel, Carol is forging from a challenge from her past! It's a firefight in the sky as the Banshee Squadron debut - but who are the Prowlers, and where has Carol seen them before? And how does secret NASA training program Mercury 13 fit in? Witness Captain Marvel in blazing battlefield action that just may change the course of history! Avengers Time Travel Protocols: engage!

COLLECTING: Captain Marvel 1-6

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:44:41 -0400)

After changing her superhero name, Captain Marvel tries to live up to the legacy of her fallen predecessor, while facing a time-traveling adventure that's intricately linked with the woman who inspired her military career.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,476,112 books! | Top bar: Always visible