Captain Marvel - Volume 1: In Pursuit of…

Captain Marvel - Volume 1: In Pursuit of Flight (Marvel Now) (edition 2013)

by Kelly Sue Deconnick, Dexter Soy (Illustrator), Emma Rios (Illustrator)

Member:davidscarter
Title:Captain Marvel - Volume 1: In Pursuit of Flight (Marvel Now)
Authors:Kelly Sue Deconnick
Other authors:Dexter Soy (Illustrator), Emma Rios (Illustrator)
Info:Marvel (2013), Paperback, 136 pages
Rating:***

Captain Marvel Volume 1: In Pursuit of Flight by Kelly Sue Deconnick

I have not read a comic book or graphic novel in forever. I reread old Captain Marvel comic books. When I saw this, I got curious. Wow and whoa!! I got so caught up in the story line that when my phone rang, I jumped. I really appreciate the History written by Mark O'English, Rob London and Mike O' Sullivan. If you like the story the History is just---------. Just read it. You will be rehooked into comics and graphic novels after this. I promise. ( )
  seki | May 20, 2015 |
Captain Marvel Vol 1: In Pursuit of Flight written by Kelly Sue DeConnick and illustrated by Dexter Soy and Emma Rios is the origin story of Carol Danvers taking on the mantle of Captain Marvel. Chronologically, it comes before the other trades of Captain Marvel that I've reviewed, which were volumes 1 and 2 of a series reboot, the purpose of which is beyond me. But this is the place to start if you want to read about Carol Danvers as Captain Marvel (formerly she was Ms Marvel, but that role has been taken up by Kamala Khan).

This is not your standard origin story because Carol Danvers was already a superhero before she became known as Captain Marvel. In fact, the story starts with Carol and Captain America fighting some monster before she's actually made a decision on the name. (Captain America in fact suggests using the moniker of Captain Marvel.) After a bit of existential angst, she makes the decision and the story continues.

The main plot involves time travel and revisiting people and situations of the past (World War II and the 60s). It's all a rather clever way of filling new readers in on Carol's backstory while also providing a new story. Also, I feel sorry for the new comic creators who have to stick to decades old cannon that can be incredibly cheesy.

On a different note, I really didn't like the art of the first four issues, especially in issue #1, I think it toned down a bit as it went along. It was just not to my taste with the style of detail and shading and actively put me off. Good thing the story was interesting enough to keep me reading.

As has been established in other reviews, I love Captain Marvel and so it should not come as any surprise that I enjoyed this volume. I didn't enjoy it quite as much as the others I've read, but at the same time I'm glad to have actually seen some backstory instead of having to infer it. I would recommend it to anyone interested in Carol Danvers/Captain Marvel; it's a pretty sensible place to start. I will definitely be reading the sequel ASAP.

4 / 5 stars

Read more reviews on my blog. ( )
  Tsana | May 12, 2015 |
Absolutely wonderful. I'm not a huge fan of time travel, but it worked for me here. Carol finds herself tossed back in time and has to figure out how to get back to present day without screwing up the past...too much.

I love how Carol's past and the connections she's forged with her friends plays into the plot. I'm definitely becoming a Kelly Sue DeConnick fan-girl. Can't wait to read more in this series. ( )
  Book_Minx | Jan 24, 2015 |
I am now a big fan of Kelly Sue DeConnick. ( )
  KVHardy | Jan 2, 2015 |
I wanted to like this book a lot more than I did. I'm a sucker for strong female heroines, and I particularly like the idea of making Ms. Marvel in particular the new Captain Marvel, not only because she takes the title from a man, but because Carol Danvers has a particularly complex history in terms of feminism within comic books, what with being basically raped and having the Avengers largely not care many decades ago.

The book starts out great, with Ms. Marvel fighting side-by-side with Captain America. She's a complete bad-ass, sassing ol' Cap constantly and explaining at one point she outranks him. She struggles a bit with the idea of adopting the Captain Marvel mantle, but at the end decides "I'm taking the damn name" in a full-page frame that is iconic and timeless.

After this, however, things go downhill. Not for character reasons, Danvers stays a strong, badass protagonist that I really enjoyed. No, they go downhill because the story becomes extremely convoluted, with time travel and wormholes and worrying about meeting her other self and all sorts of crazy weirdness. Frankly I found it confusing, and it made it hard to focus on the story because it just seemed so convoluted and weird.

The first issue is a fantastic introduction to this character, and is an absolute must-read, particularly if Captain Marvel is to become, as I suspect, the poster child for strong female heroes in the Marvel universe. But unfortunately, the remaining 5 issues collected into Volume 1 are each worse than the previous one, ending with one that was so poorly written I could barely believe it was done by the same people who created the amazing first issue.

The art, it must be said, is stunning, at least for the first 3 issues. It's a very unique visual style that I don't think I've really seen before, and it should be called out as being particularly cool.

All in all, not bad, and the first issue is so excellent it makes up for the increasingly lackluster remaining issues, but I really hope the next volume is better. ( )
  rodhilton | Nov 14, 2014 |

The "Mightiest" of Earth's Mightiest Heroes is back! Ace pilot. Legendary Avenger. One hundred percent pure bad-^&*. Carol Danvers has a new name, a new mission - and all the power she needs to make her own life a living hell. As the new Captain Marvel, Carol is forging from a challenge from her past! It's a firefight in the sky as the Banshee Squadron debut - but who are the Prowlers, and where has Carol seen them before? And how does secret NASA training program Mercury 13 fit in? Witness Captain Marvel in blazing battlefield action that just may change the course of history! Avengers Time Travel Protocols: engage!

COLLECTING: Captain Marvel 1-6

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:51 -0400)

After changing her superhero name, Captain Marvel tries to live up to the legacy of her fallen predecessor, while facing a time-traveling adventure that's intricately linked with the woman who inspired her military career.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 98,426,175 books! | Top bar: Always visible