Aurora Sky: Vampire Hunter by Nikki Jefford

Aurora Sky: Vampire Hunter (edition 2012)

by Nikki Jefford

Title:Aurora Sky: Vampire Hunter
Authors:Nikki Jefford
Info:Nikki Jefford (2012), Edition: 1, Kindle Edition
Collections:Your library, Favorites

Aurora Sky: Vampire Hunter by Nikki Jefford

ABR's original Aurora Sky: Vampire Hunter audiobook review and many others can be found at Audiobook Reviewer.

Aurora Sky: Vampire Hunter by Nikki Jefford is a the first volume in a series by the same name about a young adult who abruptly becomes drafted by a secret government agency fighting vampires when she almost dies in a car crash. Quickly, Aurora must learn how to deal with her feelings about her near death experience and balance a new life that involves normal high school and secretly fighting vampires.

I really enjoyed this novel. It was a unique take on vampires and a vampire hunting. Vampirism was transformed into a medical condition rather than a random supernatural event that is difficult to explain. And therefore, the vampire hunting was also unique and having to do with their blood type rather than this fighting abilities, which I suppose they have to develop anyway. The government involvement was well done. It would have been nice to know more about it, but the “hush-hush” secret government agency aura was present whenever the agents were around. The vampire hunting was exciting with a lot of action and emotions. Most of the characters were well-developed. Even if a character wasn’t present much in the story, it was possible to imagine that there was more to him or her. The romantic aspect of the story was complicated and believable and I really enjoyed the twist even though I expected it. The one aspect of this novel that I didn’t like was how it felt like the end was so abrupt. As it’s a series I can understand that to some extent, but I wanted more closure.

The narration by Em Eldridge was good. I found that Aurora’s voice was a little too whiney for me, but I thought everyone else sounded appropriate. The production quality was good. I would recommend this novel to anyone who likes young adult fiction and a good vampire story with a science fiction twist. There is a lot of action and emotional events and I’m looking forward to the next novels in the series.

Audiobook provided for review by the author. ( )
  audiobibliophile | Aug 13, 2015 |
This was surprisingly good. I liked Aurora, even with her really cheesy name and the characters were pretty well developed, interesting and likeable. My only issue with it was how quickly she recovered at the end. It was way too suddenly and left a lot of her actual bodily wounds healing out. Anyway it was decent for a freebie and I'm intrigued enough to read to next one. Plus the cliffhanger at the end was class.

I highlighted a few quotes I liked in the book, which I will add later.

Very enjoyable book, couldn't put it down and for that it gets five out of five stars from me. ( )
  IceMaiden786 | May 31, 2014 |
Actual rating: 3.5

(This review was originally posted at My Library in the Making.)

I read and loved the first book in Nikki Jefford's Spellbound series, Entangled, so when I found out about this new book of hers, I immediately grabbed the chance to review it. Sadly, Transfusion didn't quite amaze.

Aurora Sky's life wasn't going all too well: her only friend was leaving her for the in-crowd, her dad often went MIA on her and her mom, and to top it all off, she even got in a fatal car crash. But thanks to her rare blood type (AB negative), Aurora was chosen by a secret government agency to be revived, in exchange of her working for them as a vampire hunter.

In the first few chapters before Aurora's second life, she was spunky and sarcastic, two characteristics that almost always make me love a character. The same was true with Aurora, so I was beyond excited for the vampire hunter part of the plot to kick in. But instead, she went downhill when she learned of it. She felt trapped by the service required of her when she hadn't even chosen it, so she decided to live a careless life. She irritated me by making quite a few stupid decisions, I must admit.

But the story started picking up when Fane, the hot goth who turned out to be a real gentleman, came swooping into Aurora's new hopeless life. He was sweet and, at the same time, he knew how to sweep Aurora off her feet. But he wasn't an open book, keeping a lot of things to himself. Honestly, I can't imagine this being a surprise for everyone so I'll just get it out: he's a vampire. His diet wasn't like Edward Cullen or Stefan Salvatore's, but he drank fresh blood just enough to quench his thirst and had never killed anyone, so he's still one of the good vamps.

Fortunately, Aurora—and everything about this book—got better when her hunter training started, and even more so when she started taking on missions. As expected, she was daunted by the thought of killing even if they were evil vampires, but she was good at it, nonetheless.

Although the characters fell flat for the most part, the climax didn't feel climactic at all, and the twist in the end somehow confused me, I still enjoyed this book. The right word to describe it would be addictive, because I read this for hours on end. The "science" behind this take on bloodsuckers was truly unique and interesting, and Jefford's clear and simple writing has me looking forward to the sequel.

MY FAVORITE PARTS were Aurora and Fane's happy couple moments. ( )
  kazhout | Mar 26, 2013 |
This is a more gritty vampire novel with a nice dose of conspiracy and a main character that seems ill equipped for the world she is thrust into - in a lot of ways. I liked Aurora and I think her reactions are pretty realistic. The ending left me wanting to know what would happen next. ( )
  tjsjohanna | Feb 19, 2013 |
Being a big fan of all things fangy (or is it fangie or fangish...whatever) I jumped at the chance to get my hands on Transfusion: Aurora Sky Vampire Hunter. Girl nearly dies, girl gets saved by Government Agents, girl turns into lethal vampire killing machine, girl falls in love with blood sucking hottie. What's not to jump at there? It's like a Buffy and Alias mash up. Yes, please!!

We meet Aurora in the midst of her ho-hum senior year where she has big dreams of moving away from Freezer Burn, USA and heading to Notre Dame for college. Dreams of slinking away from her ever- present mother and noticeably absent father; starting fresh, starting new, starting her own life.

Funny how all your plans change when you die. A super secret sect of the government picked Aurora out of the wreckage of a car accident, put her back together and injected her very rare blood with a vampire virus along with an antidote to keep her just human enough. Just human enough for them to train her to be a serial slayer.

Now, Aurora does not go from 0 to 60 in warp speed. She starts off confused, disbelieving and angry. But when she is thrown to the wolves (or vampires, as the case may be) it is catch on quick or die. Again.

Once Aurora begins to come to grips with how her life has changed, she becomes such a fun character. She has this dry sense of humor that I really enjoyed and the rebelliousness she finds was endearing. Her goals go from remarkably lofty to just plain pathetic. Her New Year's resolution is a short list of firsts: kill a vampire, get drunk, kiss a boy, lose virginity. And let me tell you, Jefford holds back nothing on the virginity scene. It is the most realistic take on a girl 'losing it' that I've ever read in a book. So any virgins out there that want to know what it's really like, read this book!

Fane is a conundrum. He's snarly and almost creepy one minute then the most gentlemanly sweetheart the next. There is a lot to question where Fane is concerned but it just makes him all the more alluring. There is definitely more than meets the eye with this guy.

There are heart pounding moments spread throughout the book and a ton of very interesting characters that we get brief glimpses of. Transfusion is the perfect set up to what will be a very fun and addictive series; complete with action, intrigue, angst and forbidden love. The ending will have you chomping (at the neck) for more, I know I am! ( )
  MissAliGirl | Jan 29, 2013 |

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,812,381 books! | Top bar: Always visible