Aurora Sky: Vampire Hunter by Nikki Jefford

Aurora Sky: Vampire Hunter (edition 2012)

by Nikki Jefford

Member:ConciseReviews
Title:Aurora Sky: Vampire Hunter
Authors:Nikki Jefford
Info:Nikki Jefford (2012), Edition: 1, Kindle Edition
Collections:Your library, Favorites
Rating:*****

Aurora Sky: Vampire Hunter by Nikki Jefford

This was surprisingly good. I liked Aurora, even with her really cheesy name and the characters were pretty well developed, interesting and likeable. My only issue with it was how quickly she recovered at the end. It was way too suddenly and left a lot of her actual bodily wounds healing out. Anyway it was decent for a freebie and I'm intrigued enough to read to next one. Plus the cliffhanger at the end was class.

I highlighted a few quotes I liked in the book, which I will add later.

Very enjoyable book, couldn't put it down and for that it gets five out of five stars from me. ( )
  IceMaiden786 | May 31, 2014 |
Actual rating: 3.5

(This review was originally posted at My Library in the Making.)

I read and loved the first book in Nikki Jefford's Spellbound series, Entangled, so when I found out about this new book of hers, I immediately grabbed the chance to review it. Sadly, Transfusion didn't quite amaze.

Aurora Sky's life wasn't going all too well: her only friend was leaving her for the in-crowd, her dad often went MIA on her and her mom, and to top it all off, she even got in a fatal car crash. But thanks to her rare blood type (AB negative), Aurora was chosen by a secret government agency to be revived, in exchange of her working for them as a vampire hunter.

In the first few chapters before Aurora's second life, she was spunky and sarcastic, two characteristics that almost always make me love a character. The same was true with Aurora, so I was beyond excited for the vampire hunter part of the plot to kick in. But instead, she went downhill when she learned of it. She felt trapped by the service required of her when she hadn't even chosen it, so she decided to live a careless life. She irritated me by making quite a few stupid decisions, I must admit.

But the story started picking up when Fane, the hot goth who turned out to be a real gentleman, came swooping into Aurora's new hopeless life. He was sweet and, at the same time, he knew how to sweep Aurora off her feet. But he wasn't an open book, keeping a lot of things to himself. Honestly, I can't imagine this being a surprise for everyone so I'll just get it out: he's a vampire. His diet wasn't like Edward Cullen or Stefan Salvatore's, but he drank fresh blood just enough to quench his thirst and had never killed anyone, so he's still one of the good vamps.

Fortunately, Aurora—and everything about this book—got better when her hunter training started, and even more so when she started taking on missions. As expected, she was daunted by the thought of killing even if they were evil vampires, but she was good at it, nonetheless.

Although the characters fell flat for the most part, the climax didn't feel climactic at all, and the twist in the end somehow confused me, I still enjoyed this book. The right word to describe it would be addictive, because I read this for hours on end. The "science" behind this take on bloodsuckers was truly unique and interesting, and Jefford's clear and simple writing has me looking forward to the sequel.

MY FAVORITE PARTS were Aurora and Fane's happy couple moments. ( )
  kazhout | Mar 26, 2013 |
This is a more gritty vampire novel with a nice dose of conspiracy and a main character that seems ill equipped for the world she is thrust into - in a lot of ways. I liked Aurora and I think her reactions are pretty realistic. The ending left me wanting to know what would happen next. ( )
  tjsjohanna | Feb 19, 2013 |
Being a big fan of all things fangy (or is it fangie or fangish...whatever) I jumped at the chance to get my hands on Transfusion: Aurora Sky Vampire Hunter. Girl nearly dies, girl gets saved by Government Agents, girl turns into lethal vampire killing machine, girl falls in love with blood sucking hottie. What's not to jump at there? It's like a Buffy and Alias mash up. Yes, please!!

We meet Aurora in the midst of her ho-hum senior year where she has big dreams of moving away from Freezer Burn, USA and heading to Notre Dame for college. Dreams of slinking away from her ever- present mother and noticeably absent father; starting fresh, starting new, starting her own life.

Funny how all your plans change when you die. A super secret sect of the government picked Aurora out of the wreckage of a car accident, put her back together and injected her very rare blood with a vampire virus along with an antidote to keep her just human enough. Just human enough for them to train her to be a serial slayer.

Now, Aurora does not go from 0 to 60 in warp speed. She starts off confused, disbelieving and angry. But when she is thrown to the wolves (or vampires, as the case may be) it is catch on quick or die. Again.

Once Aurora begins to come to grips with how her life has changed, she becomes such a fun character. She has this dry sense of humor that I really enjoyed and the rebelliousness she finds was endearing. Her goals go from remarkably lofty to just plain pathetic. Her New Year's resolution is a short list of firsts: kill a vampire, get drunk, kiss a boy, lose virginity. And let me tell you, Jefford holds back nothing on the virginity scene. It is the most realistic take on a girl 'losing it' that I've ever read in a book. So any virgins out there that want to know what it's really like, read this book!

Fane is a conundrum. He's snarly and almost creepy one minute then the most gentlemanly sweetheart the next. There is a lot to question where Fane is concerned but it just makes him all the more alluring. There is definitely more than meets the eye with this guy.

There are heart pounding moments spread throughout the book and a ton of very interesting characters that we get brief glimpses of. Transfusion is the perfect set up to what will be a very fun and addictive series; complete with action, intrigue, angst and forbidden love. The ending will have you chomping (at the neck) for more, I know I am! ( )
  MissAliGirl | Jan 29, 2013 |
I loved this whole new take on Vampires, it so different, and I really liked that. I am so anxious now for book 2, lol.

It’s like a YA version of Night Huntress, ok, not exactly, as its very different, but it sure was really good like those books. There were many twist in this book I did not see coming.

I also love how it takes place in Alaska, I spent over a week there before, (In July, when it stays daylight most of the time) and I have friends there, who I have learned a lot on the darkness and how they deal with it. It was fun reading parts where I have been.
We have the government who is trying to wipe out the murderous vampires, like some have rabies, kindof. With vampire hunters that they kinog create, like Aurora.

Aurora Sky is a great character, she ends up in a near fatal (or was it?) car crash, which has a special branch of the government stepping in to save her life, since she has a rare blood type that is perfect for their uses to turn her into the ultimate Vampire Hunter. She basically is their chew toy, as she has to allow them to bite her, so her doctored up blood gets into the, and causes them to be paralyzed for a short time, then she can finish them off.
Yeah, not cool, huh? She is pretty strong emotionally to be able to get through what she does.

I really liked the characters in this book, especially Fane and Dante, they both are great in their own way.
There are some hilarious parts, especially this one below, with Fane’s roommate (yes, this roommate is a vampire, but there are the rabies kind, the killer kind cuz they like to, and then the gentle, or at least nice unkilling kind)

“Joss would know the answer to your question about feeding better. I believe he’s set the record for the longest fast.”
A light bulb went off in my head. “Oh, like a tick.”
“Excuse me?” Joss said.
“Ticks can live for seven years without feeding.”
“Francesco,” Joss said testily. “She’s comparing me to an insect.”
Fane grinned. “Yes, I heard.”

I really can’t wait for book 2, it ended good, not a major cliffhanger, but kept you hanging a little bit. Not enough to make me mad though.
I highly recommend this book. It’s really different than the usual vampire books you see around. And it’s really well written.

5 out of 5 stars

I was provided a copy of this book for my honest review and for the book tour.

Check out by book blog for all kinds of book tours, including one for this book next month. I will update this post when the stop gets to my blog.
http://concisebookreviewsbymichelle.blogspot.com ( )
  ConciseReviews | Jan 8, 2013 |

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,695,116 books! | Top bar: Always visible