Aurora Sky: Vampire Hunter by Nikki Jefford

Aurora Sky: Vampire Hunter (edition 2012)

by Nikki Jefford

Member:ConciseReviews
Title:Aurora Sky: Vampire Hunter
Authors:Nikki Jefford
Info:Nikki Jefford (2012), Edition: 1, Kindle Edition
Collections:Your library, Favorites
Rating:*****

Aurora Sky: Vampire Hunter by Nikki Jefford

4.5 "A New Bite on Life" Stars for the story and narration!

Move over Buffy, there is a new teenage vampire huntress in town! Given that YA vampire romance is how I became hooked on audiobooks (yes, you know which series I'm talking about: )) and that I watched nearly every episode of Buffy the Vampire Slayer way back in the day, I'm ecstatic to say that I have found a new vampire series to dig my teeth into: Aurora Sky! Book 1 in the series does a fabulous job of setting up this creative take on vampire lore with a YA audience in mind. Moreover, Em Eldridge's smooth narration makes this a perfect choice to experience in audio format!

When Aurora Sky wakes up from a car accident, on a secret military base, as a different person (literally--or at least a highly engineered version of herself--think the teenage huntress equivalent of the Bionic Woman), Aurora knows that her life will never be the same again. Injected with a virus that makes her blood similar, and yet highly toxic, to vampires; the military agents inform Aurora that if she wants to continue receiving the frequent antidotes that she will need to keep her alive, she must work with them to kill vampires. Aurora who has never been particularly athletic, is perplexed by this request, until she learns that her secret weapon requires no prior or unique combat skills: its her blood--one bite renders a vampire immobile allowing her to easily finish him or her off.

But Alaska resident and 18 year-old, high-school senior, Aurora, is still a teenager with typical teenage problems, as can be best demonstrated by a list of resolutions she compiles shortly after her transformation:

1. Kill first vampire,
2. Get drunk,
2. Kiss a boy, and
3. Lose virginity

"With the first done, everything else should be easy!" Famous last words?

Book 1 also introduces us to a number of potential love interests. From Aurora's vampire hunting partner, Dante, to a boy from school, called Fane, who turns out to be so much more than just a boy, Aurora has her hands full with both her personal life as well as her nocturnal activities. But will she actually get to cross all the items off her list before she finds a vampire who hunts her down instead?

Having listened to, and thoroughly enjoyed Em Eldridge's narrations before (in her narrations of several books of Penny Reid's Knitting in Clay series), I knew I was in for a treat from a narration perspective. I'm happy to say that Ms. Eldridge didn't disappoint. From her perfect rendition of Aurora, who I can picture just from her intonation, to even her perfect British accented intonation for Fane's roommate, Ms. Eldridge spares no detail in making her narration exactly adapted to the story that Nikki Jefford has penned! Moreover, Ms. Eldridge's pacing and smooth voice make listening to this title seamless, so that you can just sit back and enjoy the story.

All in all, Aurora Sky is a great debut to a YA PNR/UF romance series that I will no doubt want to explore in much greater detail. Now I can't wait to start book 2 in the Vampire Hunter Series, Northern Bites!

Source: Review copy provided for review purposes. ( )
  B.J.O. | Dec 3, 2016 |
This book was so much fun. It has been a while since I read a teen vampire novel and this is a good one. Aurora Sky is saved from death but there is a BIG catch. Now she is a vampire hunter. Bummer, right? Especially since it is senior year and she is all set to put Alaska behind her and go to college. College is OK with the government but they need her in Alaska, which apparently is vampire central. Things get complicated when Aurora falls for Fane, another senior, who might just be a vampire.

I really enjoyed this book but it is far from perfect. There is all the teenage angst and high school competition, so you need to be up for that. And there is a lot of sex and sexual references. Not to mention the drinking and drugs. So this is on the realistic side of teen life, minus the vampires of course. So not for younger teens or tweens. I got this in a 3 kindle book set and really can't wait to read the next one and revert to my high school self. ( )
  TheLibraryhag | Aug 23, 2016 |
Aurora Sky just wants to finish out high school so that she can flee the frozen lands of Alaska for warmer weather and college. However, a nasty car accident leaves her life in the hands of some interesting secret government scientists that see a hidden potential in her. Now she’s stuck in Alaska receiving her necessary regular injections and paying off her debt by hunting vampires. As if high school was socially awkward enough.

I really liked how this was government sanctioned and assisted vampire hunting. I also liked that Aurora was given no choice about it and while she’s not terribly happy to have this life forced upon her, she pulls herself together and gives it a good try. Aurora’s blood can paralyze a sucking vampire for a short period of time, so she can turn around and behead the horror. Now, she just needs some fighting skills and a few sidekicks.

There’s plenty of action in this urban fantasy and I quite enjoyed all that. After all, if you are going to sit down to a vampire hunt, you need some good action scenes. There are nice breaks in between these scenes, giving depth to the book. For instance, since the car accident, Aurora has a very reasonable fear of being in vehicles and even driving. This obviously cramps her dating scene. Then there’s plenty of discussions with her assigned body guard. Home life is awkward too as her father has taken off while her mother feels both guilt (for signing off on the government procedure that kept her daughter alive) and huge relief (that her daughter is alive to be a bit miffed about the whole situation).

Then there is the romance element. So, there’s this somewhat bad boy at high school – Fane Donado. Obviously, this is the guy she’s going to fall for. Yet he has a secret and it is one that could put a permanent end to their budding romance. While I found the individual scenes flirty and even a little hot at times, the obviousness of Fane’s secret blared loud and clear. So, once Aurora figures it out, I am wondering if she’s been paying attention to all that special vampire hunter training or not. Over all, Aurora comes off as a little angsty, which is normal for someone who just had their life trajectory up ended, and pretty smart…. until she meets Fane. It’s like all her wits got pushed to the side and I felt it was too much even for puppy love to explain.

Also, this is a little pet peeve of mine. Why do we have a supernatural person who is a few hundred years old thinking it would fun to move to Alaska and go back to high school, again? It smacks a little of teen predator. I know this is a somewhat common theme right now in the vampire urban fantasy world, and yet it still gives me the creeps, just a little. So, I had to shove that tidbit aside and pretend Fane was as old as he acted in order to be OK with the romance.

Over all, it was an enjoyable quick listen. There’s several elements I enjoyed and I intend to check out the next in the series to see how Aurora meets her next challenge.

Narration: Em Eldridge had the perfect voice for Aurora – she was the teen who just had her life turned up side down, going through all these emotions and recovery, and settling into her new super secret life of vampire hunting while trying to finish out high school. Yep. Eldridge did an amazing job of portraying all that. She also had distinct and believable male voices and some wonderfully chilling vampire sounds as well. ( )
  DabOfDarkness | Oct 31, 2015 |
ABR's original Aurora Sky: Vampire Hunter audiobook review and many others can be found at Audiobook Reviewer.

Aurora Sky: Vampire Hunter by Nikki Jefford is a the first volume in a series by the same name about a young adult who abruptly becomes drafted by a secret government agency fighting vampires when she almost dies in a car crash. Quickly, Aurora must learn how to deal with her feelings about her near death experience and balance a new life that involves normal high school and secretly fighting vampires.

I really enjoyed this novel. It was a unique take on vampires and a vampire hunting. Vampirism was transformed into a medical condition rather than a random supernatural event that is difficult to explain. And therefore, the vampire hunting was also unique and having to do with their blood type rather than this fighting abilities, which I suppose they have to develop anyway. The government involvement was well done. It would have been nice to know more about it, but the “hush-hush” secret government agency aura was present whenever the agents were around. The vampire hunting was exciting with a lot of action and emotions. Most of the characters were well-developed. Even if a character wasn’t present much in the story, it was possible to imagine that there was more to him or her. The romantic aspect of the story was complicated and believable and I really enjoyed the twist even though I expected it. The one aspect of this novel that I didn’t like was how it felt like the end was so abrupt. As it’s a series I can understand that to some extent, but I wanted more closure.

The narration by Em Eldridge was good. I found that Aurora’s voice was a little too whiney for me, but I thought everyone else sounded appropriate. The production quality was good. I would recommend this novel to anyone who likes young adult fiction and a good vampire story with a science fiction twist. There is a lot of action and emotional events and I’m looking forward to the next novels in the series.

Audiobook provided for review by the author. ( )
  audiobibliophile | Aug 13, 2015 |
This was surprisingly good. I liked Aurora, even with her really cheesy name and the characters were pretty well developed, interesting and likeable. My only issue with it was how quickly she recovered at the end. It was way too suddenly and left a lot of her actual bodily wounds healing out. Anyway it was decent for a freebie and I'm intrigued enough to read to next one. Plus the cliffhanger at the end was class.

I highlighted a few quotes I liked in the book, which I will add later.

Very enjoyable book, couldn't put it down and for that it gets five out of five stars from me. ( )
  IceMaiden786 | May 31, 2014 |

1 wanted1 pay1 pay

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,720,140 books! | Top bar: Always visible