Aurora Sky: Vampire Hunter by Nikki Jefford

Aurora Sky: Vampire Hunter (edition 2012)

by Nikki Jefford

Title:Aurora Sky: Vampire Hunter
Authors:Nikki Jefford
Info:Nikki Jefford (2012), Edition: 1, Kindle Edition
Collections:Your library, Favorites

Aurora Sky: Vampire Hunter by Nikki Jefford

Aurora Sky just wants to finish out high school so that she can flee the frozen lands of Alaska for warmer weather and college. However, a nasty car accident leaves her life in the hands of some interesting secret government scientists that see a hidden potential in her. Now she’s stuck in Alaska receiving her necessary regular injections and paying off her debt by hunting vampires. As if high school was socially awkward enough.

I really liked how this was government sanctioned and assisted vampire hunting. I also liked that Aurora was given no choice about it and while she’s not terribly happy to have this life forced upon her, she pulls herself together and gives it a good try. Aurora’s blood can paralyze a sucking vampire for a short period of time, so she can turn around and behead the horror. Now, she just needs some fighting skills and a few sidekicks.

There’s plenty of action in this urban fantasy and I quite enjoyed all that. After all, if you are going to sit down to a vampire hunt, you need some good action scenes. There are nice breaks in between these scenes, giving depth to the book. For instance, since the car accident, Aurora has a very reasonable fear of being in vehicles and even driving. This obviously cramps her dating scene. Then there’s plenty of discussions with her assigned body guard. Home life is awkward too as her father has taken off while her mother feels both guilt (for signing off on the government procedure that kept her daughter alive) and huge relief (that her daughter is alive to be a bit miffed about the whole situation).

Then there is the romance element. So, there’s this somewhat bad boy at high school – Fane Donado. Obviously, this is the guy she’s going to fall for. Yet he has a secret and it is one that could put a permanent end to their budding romance. While I found the individual scenes flirty and even a little hot at times, the obviousness of Fane’s secret blared loud and clear. So, once Aurora figures it out, I am wondering if she’s been paying attention to all that special vampire hunter training or not. Over all, Aurora comes off as a little angsty, which is normal for someone who just had their life trajectory up ended, and pretty smart…. until she meets Fane. It’s like all her wits got pushed to the side and I felt it was too much even for puppy love to explain.

Also, this is a little pet peeve of mine. Why do we have a supernatural person who is a few hundred years old thinking it would fun to move to Alaska and go back to high school, again? It smacks a little of teen predator. I know this is a somewhat common theme right now in the vampire urban fantasy world, and yet it still gives me the creeps, just a little. So, I had to shove that tidbit aside and pretend Fane was as old as he acted in order to be OK with the romance.

Over all, it was an enjoyable quick listen. There’s several elements I enjoyed and I intend to check out the next in the series to see how Aurora meets her next challenge.

Narration: Em Eldridge had the perfect voice for Aurora – she was the teen who just had her life turned up side down, going through all these emotions and recovery, and settling into her new super secret life of vampire hunting while trying to finish out high school. Yep. Eldridge did an amazing job of portraying all that. She also had distinct and believable male voices and some wonderfully chilling vampire sounds as well. ( )
  DabOfDarkness | Oct 31, 2015 |
ABR's original Aurora Sky: Vampire Hunter audiobook review and many others can be found at Audiobook Reviewer.

Aurora Sky: Vampire Hunter by Nikki Jefford is a the first volume in a series by the same name about a young adult who abruptly becomes drafted by a secret government agency fighting vampires when she almost dies in a car crash. Quickly, Aurora must learn how to deal with her feelings about her near death experience and balance a new life that involves normal high school and secretly fighting vampires.

I really enjoyed this novel. It was a unique take on vampires and a vampire hunting. Vampirism was transformed into a medical condition rather than a random supernatural event that is difficult to explain. And therefore, the vampire hunting was also unique and having to do with their blood type rather than this fighting abilities, which I suppose they have to develop anyway. The government involvement was well done. It would have been nice to know more about it, but the “hush-hush” secret government agency aura was present whenever the agents were around. The vampire hunting was exciting with a lot of action and emotions. Most of the characters were well-developed. Even if a character wasn’t present much in the story, it was possible to imagine that there was more to him or her. The romantic aspect of the story was complicated and believable and I really enjoyed the twist even though I expected it. The one aspect of this novel that I didn’t like was how it felt like the end was so abrupt. As it’s a series I can understand that to some extent, but I wanted more closure.

The narration by Em Eldridge was good. I found that Aurora’s voice was a little too whiney for me, but I thought everyone else sounded appropriate. The production quality was good. I would recommend this novel to anyone who likes young adult fiction and a good vampire story with a science fiction twist. There is a lot of action and emotional events and I’m looking forward to the next novels in the series.

Audiobook provided for review by the author. ( )
  audiobibliophile | Aug 13, 2015 |
This was surprisingly good. I liked Aurora, even with her really cheesy name and the characters were pretty well developed, interesting and likeable. My only issue with it was how quickly she recovered at the end. It was way too suddenly and left a lot of her actual bodily wounds healing out. Anyway it was decent for a freebie and I'm intrigued enough to read to next one. Plus the cliffhanger at the end was class.

I highlighted a few quotes I liked in the book, which I will add later.

Very enjoyable book, couldn't put it down and for that it gets five out of five stars from me. ( )
  IceMaiden786 | May 31, 2014 |
Actual rating: 3.5

(This review was originally posted at My Library in the Making.)

I read and loved the first book in Nikki Jefford's Spellbound series, Entangled, so when I found out about this new book of hers, I immediately grabbed the chance to review it. Sadly, Transfusion didn't quite amaze.

Aurora Sky's life wasn't going all too well: her only friend was leaving her for the in-crowd, her dad often went MIA on her and her mom, and to top it all off, she even got in a fatal car crash. But thanks to her rare blood type (AB negative), Aurora was chosen by a secret government agency to be revived, in exchange of her working for them as a vampire hunter.

In the first few chapters before Aurora's second life, she was spunky and sarcastic, two characteristics that almost always make me love a character. The same was true with Aurora, so I was beyond excited for the vampire hunter part of the plot to kick in. But instead, she went downhill when she learned of it. She felt trapped by the service required of her when she hadn't even chosen it, so she decided to live a careless life. She irritated me by making quite a few stupid decisions, I must admit.

But the story started picking up when Fane, the hot goth who turned out to be a real gentleman, came swooping into Aurora's new hopeless life. He was sweet and, at the same time, he knew how to sweep Aurora off her feet. But he wasn't an open book, keeping a lot of things to himself. Honestly, I can't imagine this being a surprise for everyone so I'll just get it out: he's a vampire. His diet wasn't like Edward Cullen or Stefan Salvatore's, but he drank fresh blood just enough to quench his thirst and had never killed anyone, so he's still one of the good vamps.

Fortunately, Aurora—and everything about this book—got better when her hunter training started, and even more so when she started taking on missions. As expected, she was daunted by the thought of killing even if they were evil vampires, but she was good at it, nonetheless.

Although the characters fell flat for the most part, the climax didn't feel climactic at all, and the twist in the end somehow confused me, I still enjoyed this book. The right word to describe it would be addictive, because I read this for hours on end. The "science" behind this take on bloodsuckers was truly unique and interesting, and Jefford's clear and simple writing has me looking forward to the sequel.

MY FAVORITE PARTS were Aurora and Fane's happy couple moments. ( )
  kazhout | Mar 26, 2013 |
This is a more gritty vampire novel with a nice dose of conspiracy and a main character that seems ill equipped for the world she is thrust into - in a lot of ways. I liked Aurora and I think her reactions are pretty realistic. The ending left me wanting to know what would happen next. ( )
  tjsjohanna | Feb 19, 2013 |

2 wanted1 pay1 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,895,701 books! | Top bar: Always visible