Retrovirus HC by Jimmy Palmiotti

Retrovirus HC (edition 2012)

by Jimmy Palmiotti

Info:Image Comics (2012), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 64 pages
Collections:Early Review, Read but unowned
Rating:***

Retrovirus HC by Jimmy Palmiotti

Zoe is a brilliant young scientist specializing in extinct viruses. She has always avoided working for corporations. However, due to a major snag in her love life and an offer she can't refuse, she finds herself in a remote research facility in Antarctica. She soon discovers that her new employers have unearthed a perfectly preserved Neanderthal and she has been hired to identify the virus which killed him. Unfortunately, this is not the only, or even the worst, of her new employers' secrets and, before she is completely settled in, all hell breaks loose.

I have to say that, for the most part, I liked this graphic novel. It is not particularly original - did we learn nothing from Jurassic Park, Big Pharma - but it is fun. The art especially is worth the price of admission. I also liked the use of a strong female protagonist. However, and this may be just my own prejudice but, just once, I would love to see a fictional female scientist who looked more like Marie Curie than a young Pamela Anderson. But this is a small thing and probably won't bother other readers.

However, my other criticism is somewhat larger - the ending. The story moves along at a breakneck pace, blood and gore flying in all directions and then, suddenly, flowers and sunshine and happily ever after. Don't get me wrong, I'm not opposed to happy endings but, even in graphic novel, they should flow smoothly from the story, not look pasted on to meet a deadline.

All criticism aside, though, the story has enough action to keep it moving along and it kept my interest right up until the rather abrupt ending. If you are looking for a fun, fast story with a strong female protagonist, some pretty fine art, and plenty of action, Retrovirus might be just what the doctor ordered. ( )
  lostinalibrary | Dec 20, 2012 |
Science fiction stories can go in so many directions, they should not be predictable. Unfortunately, Retrovirus ends up being surprisingly so. Further, while certain points are disappointingly predictable, the plot in general is confusing and will most likely lose the reader. The edgy artwork is one of the few good things going for it and saves it from being a total waste. ( )
  MartyAllen | Dec 9, 2012 |
Background: Zoe Wallace is offered the job of a lifetime right after a depressing time in her life, only to realize that said dream job is just as horrible as everything else. Retrovirus focuses on long extinct Neanderthals and the viruses they once carried.

Review: I saw the cover for this graphic novel on Netgalley and scooped it up to read, I figured it would have a strong female character busting ass and taking names...well sort of. Zoe started off awesome, not taking crap from anyone, then it turned into the traditional sexualized female of comics. There was even a few boobie jokes here and there, now don't get me wrong boobie jokes can be funny, but it really took away from the strong female they portrayed in the beginning. The story line was interesting and a little predictable, but overall good and entertaining. Very graphic in the violence department. ( )
  sszkutak | Nov 29, 2012 |

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,375,767 books! | Top bar: Always visible