Member:ad_astra
Authors:
Info:FBApowersetup, Paperback
Rating:****1/2

How I felt when I began the book

How I felt half way through the book

How I felt at the end of the book

Although I liked it more than [b:The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer|11408650|The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer (Mara Dyer, #1)|Michelle Hodkin|https://d202m5krfqbpi5.cloudfront.net/books/1336655755s/11408650.jpg|13460686] I still felt like it was missing something.

Basically, it's the same as the first book, but maybe with a little more action:

Mara wakes up in the hospital
Mara leaves hospital
Mara and Noah get close
Something terrible happens
Mara ends up in hospital AGAIN
Gets out
Noah and Mara get close
Something terrible happens
Mara AND Noah end up in hospital
-- INSERT WEIRD REVELATION THAT CONFUSES THE READER BEYOND COMPREHENSION HERE --
Novel ends

So yeah, I guess you can say that the second novel only poses more questions than it answers.

And at points, it's VERY predictable.

We all know Noah is super-rich and can throw money at everything to get what he wants, but he then uses his mega-mogul title to give Mara a bodyguard.

"I'm going to have some people watch your house."
Noah seemed calm. Relaxed. Which only added to my frustration. "My parents would probably notice, don't you think?"
"Not these men. They're with a private security firm and they're very, very good. My father uses them."

And all I could think was, really . Seriously, REALLY? I've seen this over, over , and over again. I knew that it would happen and, to be honest, it frustrated me. If someone was watching MY house, I think I would probably find out at some point, no matter how good they are. Mara lives in the suburbs, so anything new would look extremely out of place.

The predictability just goes down hill from there. When Mara is admitted to a Monday to Friday program for those with 'problems', guess who she sees again?

YEAH, JAMIE. WHAT ARE THE CHANCES. WOOHOO. HURRAH. YIPPEE-DO-DAH.

Predictable as HELL.

This novel is also cheesier than the first one!

Check these out

"Well!" Mr. Robins said, clapping his hands together. "Now that that's setted, I've set you up for a tour with Phoebe Raynard, another student at Horizons. "Yes," he said, nogging meaningfully, "everyone is a student here. A student of life"

Seriously. He said that. I'm serious.

"Not the way you're thinking," he said, the shadow of a smile on his lips. "In music, consonant chords are points of arrival. There's no tension," he tried to explain. "Most pop music hooks are consonant, which is why most people like them. They're catchy but interchangeabe. Boring. Dissonant, intervals, however, are full of tension," he said, holding my gaze. "You can't predict which way they're going to go. It makes limited people uncomfortable -- frustrated, because they don't understand the point, and people hate what they don't understand. But the ones who get is," he said, lifting a hand to my face, "find it fascinating. Beautiful." He traced the shape of my mouth with his thumb. "Like you."

Oh my God, I know, it's totally cute and, I'm not going to lie to you or myself, I LOVED it, but it's also totally cheesy.

I ALSO loved this:

"I'm too selfish to leave you," I said. Noah pulled back so I could see his smile. "I'm too selfish to let you."

AWWWW!

By the end of the novel, I got annoyed and frustrated when it turns out that they were all part of an experiment, yadda yadda yadda, and how on the Horizons course she wasn't the only one blah blah blah, there are hundreds out there like you, Mara blah blah blah.

*Sighs* I PREDICTED THIS FROM THE START. THROW ME A CURVEBALL, DO SOMETHING UNEXPECTED

THIS is my favourite sentence from the entire book:

"They rattled the cage to see if I'd bite. When they released me, they'd see that the answer was yes."

InnnnnnTEEEEENSE.

I'm going to stop here, because I realise I'm rambling, so I'll edit when I feel more coherent. ( )
  Aly_Locatelli | Jan 26, 2015 |
I'm utterly speechless after reading this book. WOW. JUST WOW. I didn't expect to like it very much. I was completely blown away.

I find some things very confusing but maybe the author meant to write it that way. I can't tell how many times I've said "What the hell?" while reading this. I am continuously surprised by the flow of the story. It was never predictable. And I liked it that way.

Mara Dyer is so complicated and I can't describe her properly. Through the story, sometimes, I genuinely thought that she's a psycho. I have so many guesses. But then, my theory would be proven wrong so I just stop and see where the story would lead.

I laughed out loud because of Noah. Yes, Noah Shaw. Is there a more perfect hero than him? He was so adorable. oh my gosh, I am fangirling and I don't care. *insert screaming lunatic gif here*

"You like them," I realized. "Like as people."
Noah's eyebrows lifted.
"As opposed to.... Furniture?"

Noah was everything you could ask for. And when he blamed himself for not being able to help Mara when she was handled by Jude, MY HEART JUST SIMPLY BROKE WITH HIM.

Near the ending, I cried with these characters. I felt their pain and fear that is so raw. Their desperation. Everything is just. Was just. Ugh. Everything was too much. I couldn't breathe. I couldn't think straight. What the hell, Dr. Kells?

In the Evolution of Mara Dyer, I felt every thing. I was terrified. I fell in love. I was terribly sad and frustrated. There's a lot of emotions that I'm still dealing with right now. And I don't know if I'll ever move on.

The ending. Really, why do the authors like torturing their awesome readers by leaving them hanging? I have to wait 4 freaking months, I think. But I know for sure that it'll be worth the wait. If I just knew how to insert GIFs, I would probably flood this with so many. But whatever.

*clapping* ( )
  margaraawr | Aug 8, 2014 |

"You like them," I realized. "Like as people."
Noah's eyebrows lifted.
"As opposed to.... Furniture?"

*clapping* ( )
  margaraawr | Aug 8, 2014 |
Not sure what this is now - paranormal/sci-fi teen romance but I will keep reading to see how it all plays out. I read the author has rewritten the final book and we have a long wait. The cliffhanger is not terrible but it is a cliffhanger. So if that bugs you, wait for the final book before you start this series. Noah and Mara are a unique couple. Very interesting things happen to them that required me to remind myself, let it go it's just fiction who cares if it isn't at all plausible. ( )
  sharonhd | Mar 13, 2014 |
Very engrossing, loved the character interactions, excellent build-up of tension as the drama unfurls ( )
  dreamingbear | Feb 6, 2014 |

Mara Dyer knows she isn't crazy. She knows that she can kill with her mind, and that Noah can heal with his. Mara also knows that somehow, Jude is not a hallucination. He is alive.

27 wanted2 pay1 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,145,824 books! | Top bar: Always visible