Member:ad_astra
Authors:
Info:FBApowersetup, Paperback
Rating:****1/2

The Evolution of Mara Dyer

Not sure what this is now - paranormal/sci-fi teen romance but I will keep reading to see how it all plays out. I read the author has rewritten the final book and we have a long wait. The cliffhanger is not terrible but it is a cliffhanger. So if that bugs you, wait for the final book before you start this series. Noah and Mara are a unique couple. Very interesting things happen to them that required me to remind myself, let it go it's just fiction who cares if it isn't at all plausible. ( )
  sharonhd | Mar 13, 2014 |
Very engrossing, loved the character interactions, excellent build-up of tension as the drama unfurls ( )
  dreamingbear | Feb 6, 2014 |
The Evolution of Mara Dyer was one of the best books I've read all year. The ARC has been sitting on my Kindle for awhile, waiting to be read, but between midterms, the GRE, and graduate school applications, I haven't had time to read it. I was missing out, but this book was definitely worth the wait. As most of you know, I wasn't a huge fan of the firs Mara Dyer book, but this novel was much better than the first. This is one story you do not want to miss. I'd recommend The Evolution of Mara Dyer to both fans of the first book and to people like me, who weren't completely sold on the first installment.

Mara has always been a fascinating character, but she really came into her own in this novel. I felt like I got to know her much better, and she grew a lot as a character. I now respect her and feel that she does the best she can with what she has to work with. She's not a narrator that's easily trusted, but that makes the novel that much more interesting. I really enjoyed seeing things from her point of view this time around. Noah completely won me over in this book. I absolutely adore him! He's tortured, but not angsty. He's strong and intelligent, and he went to great lengths for Mara. He's just a terrific hero.

We also got to know the supporting characters a little bit better this time around, but I still would have liked to learn more about Jamie. He's incredibly interesting. Also, I enjoyed getting to know Daniel better. I would have liked to have seen more of Joseph, but maybe we'll get that in the next novel. The characters seemed, for the most part, well-developed and realistic.

The plot was a bit confusing and had a million twists and turns that kept me guessing. Instead of feeling frustrated and lost, like I did with the first Mara Dyer book, I felt intrigued. I couldn't put this book down! I'm not sure if Hodkin changed how she wrote things or if I have just changed as a reader. Either way, I thoroughly enjoyed the non-stop mystery/action/suspense. It ended on another cliffhanger, which I hate, but that's okay. I don't feel like I read this entire book without a purpose. The story moved forward, and I can't wait to see what happens next.

Overall, I'd recommend this book to anyone who has read the first Mara Dyer book. If you haven't read the first one, then you'll be lost when you pick this one up. So I suggest everyone go out and buy the first and/or second installment(s) and enter this disturbing world. You won't be sorry. ( )
  AmberFIB | Jan 8, 2013 |
I just really love the Mara Dyer series. Michelle Hodkin just loves playing with us! Is Mara crazy or isn’t she? It would appear that this was answered at the end of The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer, but as we find out at the beginning of The Evolution of Mara Dyer, it really wasn’t.

Mara is just as unreliable a narrator as ever and we constantly have to question what she tells us. Since the entire novel is told from her perspective and we do know that some of the things that she has told us aren’t entirely true, we still have to question her sanity. This was by far my favorite part of the novel.

The plot isn’t particularly action packed, but it still had a heart pounding, suspenseful quality to it because of the situations Mara believes are happening (which may or may not be really happening). By the end of the novel we finally do have an answer to whether or not Mara is crazy, and while it wasn’t the answer I wanted, it was still a spectacular read.

The secondary characters were less memorable this time around, and while I still love Joseph and like Daniel, Noah did lose a lot of his charm. He is still a great character and I really did enjoy quite a few of the Mara/Noah scenes, but he came across as a bit pompous this time around. He also doesn’t really act like a teenage boy. A lot of his comments sound like they are coming from a much older man.

The Evolution of Mara Dyer has all of the elements I loved in The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer—an enjoyable cast of secondary characters (even if they weren’t quite as strong as the first time around) and a thrilling quest to figure out if Mara is sane or certifiable. It is the perfect story for fans of novels such as Turn of the Screw and Shutter Island. ( )
  AboutToRead | Jan 2, 2013 |
I enjoyed The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer and was hoping that this book would cut down a little on the romance and provide a solid, thrilling plot line to expand on the world it introduced. Creepy, intense and convoluted, I think that while The Evolution of Mara Dyer makes up for the way its predecessor strayed into romance and forgot all about the plot, it seems to me that it’s over compensated. This book is almost nothing but plot, and not in a good way.

There is very little character development – Mara is rapidly losing her grip on reality and although Noah is around to help ground her and provide strength, she begins the novel scared and determined to fight back, and ends the novel scared and determined to fight back. In between are a multitude of what I can only describe as the usual shop of horrors stuff – creepy dolls, crows, sleep walking and things re-appearing after they have been discarded, writing on mirrors and walls. And there’s so much of it that I quickly became desensitized, and the book stopped being thrilling and became annoying.

There are points to applaud about the book – I liked the flashbacks into the past, but there is no explanation or exploration of them. I continue to enjoy the relationships that Mara has with her family, I enjoy reading books with positive familial relationships. I liked Noah, I think he has grown a lot since the first book and I liked seeing another side of him after being over-exposed to his ‘mysterious, rich, hot dude’ persona in Unbecoming. His family life was also great to explore, and I have these theories about his father that I look forward to testing out in Retribution.

But ultimately, I didn’t like how the author basically offers no answers to the questions she posed in Unbecoming (and the ones she did provide seemed unsatisfactory to me). I didn’t enjoy that there are now twice as many questions to be answered in Retribution (that book is shaping up to be a series to revelations, from the looks of things). I didn’t like the cliffhanger, and I most definitely didn’t like that this book was so long. It seemed stretched out, thin (like butter scraped over too much bread), and in my opinion this premise would have done better as a duology.

The Evolution of Mara Dyer is everything you have come to expect from a sequel that primarily serves as filler material between the initiating and concluding volumes of a series. The things I liked about it and that infernal cliffhanger ensure that I will be back for more in The Retribution of Mara Dyer, but I have given up hope of the series rising above my expectations and surprising me. A pity, because the potential was there.

A copy of this book was provided by the publisher for review.
You can read more of my reviews at Speculating on SpecFic. ( )
  alcarinqa | Dec 4, 2012 |

Mara Dyer knows she isn't crazy. She knows that she can kill with her mind, and that Noah can heal with his. Mara also knows that somehow, Jude is not a hallucination. He is alive.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,612,154 books! | Top bar: Always visible