Member:ad_astra
Authors:
Info:
Rating:****1/2

The Evolution of Mara Dyer

I'm utterly speechless after reading this book. WOW. JUST WOW. I didn't expect to like it very much. I was completely blown away.

I find some things very confusing but maybe the author meant to write it that way. I can't tell how many times I've said "What the hell?" while reading this. I am continuously surprised by the flow of the story. It was never predictable. And I liked it that way.

Mara Dyer is so complicated and I can't describe her properly. Through the story, sometimes, I genuinely thought that she's a psycho. I have so many guesses. But then, my theory would be proven wrong so I just stop and see where the story would lead.

I laughed out loud because of Noah. Yes, Noah Shaw. Is there a more perfect hero than him? He was so adorable. oh my gosh, I am fangirling and I don't care. *insert screaming lunatic gif here*

"You like them," I realized. "Like as people."
Noah's eyebrows lifted.
"As opposed to.... Furniture?"

Noah was everything you could ask for. And when he blamed himself for not being able to help Mara when she was handled by Jude, MY HEART JUST SIMPLY BROKE WITH HIM.

Near the ending, I cried with these characters. I felt their pain and fear that is so raw. Their desperation. Everything is just. Was just. Ugh. Everything was too much. I couldn't breathe. I couldn't think straight. What the hell, Dr. Kells?

In the Evolution of Mara Dyer, I felt every thing. I was terrified. I fell in love. I was terribly sad and frustrated. There's a lot of emotions that I'm still dealing with right now. And I don't know if I'll ever move on.

The ending. Really, why do the authors like torturing their awesome readers by leaving them hanging? I have to wait 4 freaking months, I think. But I know for sure that it'll be worth the wait. If I just knew how to insert GIFs, I would probably flood this with so many. But whatever.

*clapping* ( )
  margaraawr | Aug 8, 2014 |

"You like them," I realized. "Like as people."
Noah's eyebrows lifted.
"As opposed to.... Furniture?"

*clapping* ( )
  margaraawr | Aug 8, 2014 |
Not sure what this is now - paranormal/sci-fi teen romance but I will keep reading to see how it all plays out. I read the author has rewritten the final book and we have a long wait. The cliffhanger is not terrible but it is a cliffhanger. So if that bugs you, wait for the final book before you start this series. Noah and Mara are a unique couple. Very interesting things happen to them that required me to remind myself, let it go it's just fiction who cares if it isn't at all plausible. ( )
  sharonhd | Mar 13, 2014 |
Very engrossing, loved the character interactions, excellent build-up of tension as the drama unfurls ( )
  dreamingbear | Feb 6, 2014 |
The Evolution of Mara Dyer was one of the best books I've read all year. The ARC has been sitting on my Kindle for awhile, waiting to be read, but between midterms, the GRE, and graduate school applications, I haven't had time to read it. I was missing out, but this book was definitely worth the wait. As most of you know, I wasn't a huge fan of the firs Mara Dyer book, but this novel was much better than the first. This is one story you do not want to miss. I'd recommend The Evolution of Mara Dyer to both fans of the first book and to people like me, who weren't completely sold on the first installment.

Mara has always been a fascinating character, but she really came into her own in this novel. I felt like I got to know her much better, and she grew a lot as a character. I now respect her and feel that she does the best she can with what she has to work with. She's not a narrator that's easily trusted, but that makes the novel that much more interesting. I really enjoyed seeing things from her point of view this time around. Noah completely won me over in this book. I absolutely adore him! He's tortured, but not angsty. He's strong and intelligent, and he went to great lengths for Mara. He's just a terrific hero.

We also got to know the supporting characters a little bit better this time around, but I still would have liked to learn more about Jamie. He's incredibly interesting. Also, I enjoyed getting to know Daniel better. I would have liked to have seen more of Joseph, but maybe we'll get that in the next novel. The characters seemed, for the most part, well-developed and realistic.

The plot was a bit confusing and had a million twists and turns that kept me guessing. Instead of feeling frustrated and lost, like I did with the first Mara Dyer book, I felt intrigued. I couldn't put this book down! I'm not sure if Hodkin changed how she wrote things or if I have just changed as a reader. Either way, I thoroughly enjoyed the non-stop mystery/action/suspense. It ended on another cliffhanger, which I hate, but that's okay. I don't feel like I read this entire book without a purpose. The story moved forward, and I can't wait to see what happens next.

Overall, I'd recommend this book to anyone who has read the first Mara Dyer book. If you haven't read the first one, then you'll be lost when you pick this one up. So I suggest everyone go out and buy the first and/or second installment(s) and enter this disturbing world. You won't be sorry. ( )
  AmberFIB | Jan 8, 2013 |

Mara Dyer knows she isn't crazy. She knows that she can kill with her mind, and that Noah can heal with his. Mara also knows that somehow, Jude is not a hallucination. He is alive.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,416,012 books! | Top bar: Always visible