Just One Night, Part 1: The Stranger by Kyra…

Just One Night, Part 1: The Stranger (edition 2013)

by Kyra Davis

Member:harleyquinn0887
Title:Just One Night, Part 1: The Stranger
Authors:Kyra Davis
Info:Pocket Star (2013), Kindle Edition, 136 pages
Tags:Short story, Netgalley, Erotic Romance, Contemporary Romance, Literary Fiction, ARC

The Stranger by Kyra Davis

Kasie, Kasie, Kasie. Sleeping with a stranger? Really? Your best friend may be trying to force you to take a good hard look at the long term relationship you are in, but is cheating on your almost fiance the path to self awareness? Or is it just the coward's choice?
I found the cheating aspect difficult to accept in the beginning. Kasie is supposed to be strong and smart. However, there were things outlined about her past that could cause her to wobble in her decision making. She had been trying to live up to the standard of all that was good and true in the world to please her parents, who were already let down by her sister. She didn't want to disappoint her boyfriend of six years because he had helped her get where she wanted to be in her career. No, she shouldn't have cheated on Dave at all. The high road would have been to tell him how she truly felt and dealt with that relationship before diving into another one. But, she is a human being, they are weak sometimes, and they make horrible mistakes. Now, I felt bad for the guy, for the most part. But there was always this little niggling feeling that Dave wasn't all he was cracked up to be, devoted and loving, the perfect fiance. A couple of places made me stop and think, Watch out, this guy seems like a push over right now but something is brewing there. When the end came and he called Kasie off that boat where she was meeting Robert, it was a relief. The true feelings of Dave were out there and he was no pushover. He threatened and bullied her. Unfortunately, she hides from her problems again and runs back to Dave, apologizing for what she had done, but I don't think she truly regretted it. So, you wait for the next book to read what happens from there. I am hoping that she finally leaves Dave and starts making her own decisions, not just doing what everyone expects of her. I look forward to seeing just what happens now that Dave has threatened and bullied her to get her to fall back in line with what he wants.
Overall I enjoyed this book, it was extremely well written, but have a feeling the story will get better as the series progresses.
I was given a copy of this book for free in exchange for an honest review. ( )
  TinaMarieSays | Oct 23, 2013 |
Review to come. ( )
  ames | Sep 30, 2013 |
I've been very disappointed in Kasie Fitzgerald, the heroine of this story throughout the entire book.

Simone, Kasie's best friend, take her to Vegas for a weekend in the hope of getting her to let loose before her very planned, very organized and mundane life turn into a very planned and organized marriage to Dave, her not quite yet fiancé.

Kasie meets Robert Dade, who gives her the best night of her life, after which she leaves and goes back to her boring reality. When Dade invades her real world in the form of a new client in her firm, her world is turned up side down. Their affair is passionate, exciting, new and refreshing. And Kasie is still convincing herself that her place is with Dave.

When she FINALLY decides, new revelations might make her life a nightmare.

When I'm trying to think of what I felt when I read it, all I can think of is disappointment in Kasie. She knew and felt that the life she leads aren't for her but for everyone around her (her family, Dave), but still insisted to keep this life. When offered the opportunity to feel more, she took it, but forced herself to emotionally keep holding to her initial, bored feelings.

I think most of what frustrates me will be resolved in book 2, and when I keep reminding myself there will be a book 2, things are immediately put in perspective.

This tale of the emotional journey Kasie is going through is very exciting and very frustrating. I'm hoping where the story cuts off between books won't break the flow, as well.

Looking forward to book 2.

Thank you NetGalley and the publisher, for the advanced copy of this book. ( )
  TheBookHammock | Sep 24, 2013 |
You can find this review at My Favorite Things (heffroberts.blogspot.com)

The Stranger by Kyra Davis is the first of three parts in the Just One Night series. Kasie's best friend has convinced her to step out of her comfort zone on their trip to Vegas. Simone tells her to sleep with a stranger, Kasie sets her limit at flirting with one.

A blackjack table, a handsome man, and a scotch on the rocks set Kasie's life on a brand new path - one she'd always been too afraid to consider.

An exciting, passionate read that I just couldn't put down. Robert is the ultimate embodiment of Alpha and Kasie is on the cusp of losing all inhibition.

***QUOTES***
I didn’t know it could be like this.
It’s a cliché. A line every ingénue in every bad romantic comedy is forced to utter. The words are always spoken delicately as if our heroine has reached a new level of innocence.
This doesn’t feel innocent. This feels fucking amazing. It feels like I’m coming alive.
I didn’t know it could be like this.
-Kasie

A billion-dollar operation that has yet to go public. It’s Apple meets Blackwater meets Willy Wonka’s Chocolate Factory. Secrets are kept; outsiders, unwelcome.

“It was just one night.” I try to keep the chill in my tone but I can see that my line in the sand is now threatened by the tide. “An anomaly. I am not your lover now.” ( )
  Lisa.Hines | Sep 4, 2013 |

Another review helped me make this decision.

Review on this blog.

If her fiance was in fact so boring that she felt the need to escape in an affair, she should have grown a backbone and ended her engagement. And her friend is indeed shitty and a bad influence. And sleeping with another man sans condom and then sleeping with her fiance? Seriously? How would you feel if someone did that to you, and the implications of it all. Ugh! I'll pass.
  MsRomanticReads | Apr 12, 2013 |
The red Herve Leger bandage dress I'm wearing is not mine.

Kasie knows who she's supposed to be. But one passionate night with a mysterious stranger will teach her who she wants to be. You should sleep with a stranger, her best friend whispers in her ear as they take to Vegas for one last pre-wedding fling. Despite her best intentions, when Kasie Fitzgerald enters the casino and sees him, a man whose tailored clothes belied a powerful, even dangerous, presence, she loses herself to the moment. Maybe it's the dress, much shorter than she'd ever normally wear, or the Scotch, but something makes her give herself over to him more completely than she's ever done with a man before.

It was supposed to be just one night. But right as she's thinking she wants more, he shows up in her office with an agenda. As the billionaire CEO of a company that's engaged her PR firm, his demands just became her reality...and he desires so much more than just some attention in the boardroom.

—Amazon.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,793,268 books! | Top bar: Always visible